Notices

Need help with Colonial/Heartland itinerary.

Jun 14th, 2014, 04:21 PM
kc1
Original Poster

Need help with Colonial/Heartland itinerary.

Hello,

We would like to visit the Colonial/Heartland area of Mexico for about 2 weeks in October of this year, or February or early March of next year.

Some of the names of cities or towns that appeal to me are:
Mexico City
Guanajuato
San Miguel de Allende
Zacatecas
Patzcuaro
Morelia

I would appreciate any suggestions or guidance regarding which of these places we should visit and why. I would like to spend at least 2 or 3 nights in each stop. If anyone could suggest a great itinerary, that would be wonderful!

Thanks so much,
kc
Jun 15th, 2014, 07:47 AM

Two weeks isn't a lot of time for all those places as the destinations you list are spread out through central Mexico, but given your interests in colonial cities I'd recommend this:

- 3 or 4 days in Mexico City
- 2 days or so in Queretero
- 2 days or so so in San Miguel de Allende
- 3 days in Guanajuato (however, be aware that Festival Cervantino is in Guanajuato almost the entire month of October and will be very crowded)
- 3 days or so in Guadalajara or Morelia
- day or so to return to your departure point (Mexico City?)
Jun 17th, 2014, 05:21 PM
kc1
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions, CascadeBob.

Could you also recommend which time frame would be best to travel to this area...in October/November or February/March?

Thank you!
kc
Jun 18th, 2014, 05:17 AM

Hello KC!

Doing the destinations you have listed above in 2 weeks should be enough, but don't forget the time spent travelling between those places (Morelia, Zacatecas and Guadalajara are quite far from Mexico City). Having said that I wouldn't recommend Patzcuaro as I was a little disappointed by the area (back in 2012), there wasn't that much to see/visit and if you don't have a car it is difficult to enjoy it. Moreover, the State of Michoacan isn't very advisable these days. Morelia is wonderful but it is in Michoacan too.

My advise would be:

- 2 days in Mexico City (relax and enjoy the historical center and visit Coyoacan the next day)
- 3 days in Queretero (take one day to do the ''Ruta del Queso y del Vino'')
- 2 days in San Miguel de Allende
- 2 days in Guanajuato (city tours are available at the bus station)
- 3 days in Zacatecas
- 2 days in Mexico City (visit the Teotihuacan archaeological site and relax for your last day)

Take note that in Queretaro and Zacatecas there are great 'Legends and Myths' night tours, if you speak Spanish you'll love it!

As for when is it best to travel to this area I'd say February/March, it will be more quiet. As Bob said, this year the Cervantino Festival will be held in Guanajuato from 8th to 26th of October, and beginning of November is Dia de Muertos (so a lot of people!). In the other side, as most of Mexican take their holidays for Semana Santa in April, February/March is generally very quiet.

Hope this helps KC!

Laurent

Search this Thread