Search

Need help with 2nd Costa Rica trip.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with 2nd Costa Rica trip.

Hi All,
I've been lurking around reading everyone's posts and thought that some of you might be able to help me. Hubby and I are planning our 2nd trip to Costa Rica (October 21 - Nov 4). On the last trip we stayed in Arenal, Nosara, Mal Pais and Manuel Antonio. We would like to experience some different places this go around but did have some favorites on the last trip. One other thing has changed - we have since had a baby and now will be bringing our 17 month old along with us. So - here are my questions...
If we wanted to go back to Mal Pais - how bads are the roads at the end of the rainy season? I remember it was kind of hairy to get there last time we went and that was in the dry season.

How is Samara? I've read and heard some conflicting information. Some say it's great, some say it's kind of run down.

Anyone spend time in Flamingo or Hermosa? Hubby is hesitant about going that far north but I'm kind of interested in those two beaches.

Any other places inland besides Monteverde and Arenal that are must-sees? I don't think I want to subject the baby to the Monteverde drive or I would go there for sure.

I would like to see the Osa Peninsula but think that will have to wait for our next trip out

Suggestions on places that I haven't mentioned?

Any help or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!!
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 11:58 AM

I'd add the Central Valley. There is a lot to interest a 17 month old. We stayed at Xandari and visited Zoo Ave, the Poas Volcano and the Butterfly Farm from there. Read our trip reports at: http://www.markandmonica.com/Travel/costa_rica.htm and http://www.markandmonica.com/Travel/costa_rica_2005.htm
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Monica! Great trip report. How was it traveling with little ones? My husband and I are a little nervous - any tips? I think we might have to make a visit to Xandari. It seems like it would be a great place to relax for a few days after the long flight.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Hi, we stayed in Samara last summer. It is a small, quiet beach area and we did enjoy it (also did MA where it was more touristy & built-up but spectacular beach/rain forest). The best thing I can say to you is that the place we stayed, Villas Kalimba, would be a great place for you. The 5 or 6 villas had just opened and are large, 2 bedroom, 2 bath and right across from the beach. There is a pretty pool right out your door...go to the website: www.villaskalimba.com The owners are a lovely Italian family. When we were their the couple was waiting for their dtr to join them. They later e-mailed me that she had come and has a baby. I could just imagine the attention you would get! Another benefit of a beach up there may be that you would have more chance of sun. Maybe the central valley and the beach would be a good combo??? Have fun, Joyce
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 08:16 PM

Have you traveled with your child yet? Costa Rica is nice because they expect children to be with their parents, unlike Europe and the US where the attitude is more "can't you get a babysitter?" "Why did you bring a child here?". You will have to make some concessions for your child, mainly being someplace for them to nap at naptime (in the car driving back from your daytrip of the day usually works if you're not near where you're staying). Oh, and eating out every meal can get tiresome, so staying in a condo or somewhere with a kitchen is nice (we did that in Italy, not in Costa Rica).
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Here's a web site I found on Costa Rica beaches. You might get something out of this.
Going north is Oct-Nov is an excellent idea as there will be less chance of rain. And as someone mentioned, the central valley has much to offer.
Samara, I like it, I think the beaches in the area are pretty, but I'd get bored after a couple days. I also love Villas Kilimba though. Very nice place and owners.
If you don't mind, can you tell me where you stayed in Nosara? What did you like and not like about the hotel and the area in general?
Thanks for any input.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Monica, we haven't traveled with our son outside of the US. We've been to San Francisco, Chicago, WI and FL with him and he was fine - but that was before he was walking. Now he doesn't have a lot of patience for sitting in a stroller. We're going to get a backpack to put him in hoping that will be more exciting for him.

Ally, I can't remember the name of the place we stayed but it was run by a Swiss couple. They rented out little cabins that were spread around the property. The cabins had two beds, a kitchenette and bathroom. There were also two pools and a walking path to the beach.

We loved the proximity to the beach, we loved that howler monkeys lived in the trees outside our cabin (except in the early morning when they started their howling) we liked the pools and the "honor refrigerator" by the pool that had beer. They had a restaurant as well and breakfast was included. The food was pretty good - nothing really spectacular but not bad.

The main problem we had was that there was no AC and it was HOT in the cabins. No matter if you kept the fans going and all the windows open it was blazing in there. At night we would just lie there and sweat. My husband was also freaked out because there was a scorpion waiting right inside the door when we checked in - but I shooed the little bugger out of there and he never cam back. Other than that the place was great! And it was pretty inexpensive. I think it was about $50 a night. I'll ask my husband what it was called when he gets home from work.

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Okay, well given that information here is my advice: He doesn't like sitting in the stroller, so try not to expect him to. He will get a kick out of exploring every little thing and you can put him in a backpack if you have to hike. If you do bring a stroller (I don't know how heavy he is but my kids were way too chunky to carry all the time) it should be a jogging stroller. Obviously zip line tours are out, but you could do the Mariposarios (butterfly terrariums), Zoo Ave and any other frog farm/ animal rehab/ whatever you should stumble on. Manuel Antonio is pretty easy hiking for a stroller or backpack and there's lots to see. Hotel pools are always cool. Hermit crabs are on most beaches and kids love them. Don't pack as much as you think you need--you can buy diapers and snacks there, and the hotels probably will have cribs if you ask in advance. It might be better to rent a car because you should have your son in a carseat and the belt situation in tourists vans is dicey.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 07:27 AM

I did not find the drive to MV to be all that bad. It's easier than some of the driving in West Virginia. We used Interbus (kind of a long haul Super Shuttle shared van service) to get there one way and Sun Tours Guide to go othe other way. Not having to drive took all the stress out of the journey and I would recommend that approach if you are travelling to CR with a 17 month child. In that manner, you and hubby can take turns watching junior while the other spouse enjoys the great views.

Also, the hiking along the main trails in MV is very easy. You don't have to go far to see a lot. Of course, your key to seeing anything is a good guide, and you can hire them through Sun Tours or locally at MV.