Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   need help w/ trip to Chile / Argentina (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/need-help-w-trip-to-chile-argentina-695789/)

meghanc Apr 10th, 2007 08:21 PM

need help w/ trip to Chile / Argentina

Hi, my husband and I went to Chile 5 years ago but want to go back and possibly include Argentina for our 10 yr anniversary trip. This time, we're thinking about going to Torres del Paine and also perhaps a 3/4 night cruise from Punta Arenas, Chile to Ushuaia, Argentina.
1. Anyone familiar with the "Antarctic Dream Ship" or the "Via Australis"? I've read the the latter is great but not very "active". i've read nothing about the former.
2. where to stay in Torres del Paine for approx 4 nights?? Is the Explora really worth the $?
3. We want to go SOUTH and be remote and have this be a once in a lifetime trip, within reason, of course. Any other "musts" that we need to consider?
4. It would be great to find a "package" that includes these interests to save time, money, and hassle. I really don't want to have to create my own custom itinerary but haven't found any packages that include the above two points of interest. Recommendations? I have contacted Argentina Escapes and should hear back soon.
thx, meghan

hills27 Apr 11th, 2007 06:04 AM

I spent a week at Explora years ago and think it's totally worth the money. The quality of the guides, food, and service are outstanding.

Not to miss - the penguin colony outside Punta Arenas. Personally, I'd go to the mainland one. There are plenty of penguins there without having to endure a potentially horrible boat trip. I grew up on boats and have never been scared of high seas, but I took one look at the Magellan Straits and the rusted out hull of the "boat" and ran for the hills.

hills27 Apr 11th, 2007 03:32 PM

Another idea is to combine Explora in Patagonia with Explora in the Atacama Desert. I'm dying to go to the Atacama and Easter Island Exploras.

KensingtonGirl Apr 11th, 2007 04:21 PM

If you decide the Explora isn't worth it, we stayed at the Hosteria Las Torres and its very nice also. Torres del Paine is must.

mrpdscott May 9th, 2007 05:58 AM

In TDP, the Hosteria Lago Grey was great--great location/views (when the clouds cleared), although you are relatively isolated within the park and need to drive a good 45 minutes to get to several of the hike start0off points. I absolutely love Ushuaia. If you go, definitely look into the Del Glaciar Hotel and Chez Manu (a restaurant a block or so away). Both of which have unparalleled views of the Beagel Channel. The Martial Glacier is a must see as is Tierra del Fuego National Park. (We also took a tour on Tres Marias, a small fishing boat that went out into the channel--bumpy sea alert!) I would definitely recommend renting a car (4WD).