Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Need help! Nice place to stay in Yucatan/Riviera Maya (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/need-help-nice-place-to-stay-in-yucatan-riviera-maya-545611/)

anna74 Jul 20th, 2005 11:09 AM

Need help! Nice place to stay in Yucatan/Riviera Maya

I am looking for a tasteful hotel/inn/resort (not too built up) on a nice beach within driving distance from Cancun...and that is within walking distance to restaurant (s)

gf Jul 20th, 2005 11:58 AM

When is this trip planned for?

Currently the Riviera Maya is reeling from Hurricane Emily. Many places were spared and say they are already back up or will be shortly. Great news!

We were in Tulum as recently as the end of June and were very happily ensconced in Suenos Tulum, a eco resort. It is fairly new, small, great beach, and can walk to several restaurants via the beach. They don't have a website but locogringo.com has all the info. There are traveller reviews on TA. Tulum is an 1.5 hr drive from Cancun on a new hwy.

Alternatively, check Casa de los Suenos in Isla Mujeres, this is a 25 min. ferry ride from Cancun and is absolutely wonderful.

pepper131 Jul 20th, 2005 06:08 PM

How far do you want to drive from Cancun?

Tulum is the first thing I can think of too. Suenos Tulum, Ana y Jose, La Conchita, Azulik.

anna74 Jul 21st, 2005 07:12 AM

we are going at the end of February. I have heard mixed reviews about Tulum but those places look good....

Ryberg Jul 21st, 2005 07:36 AM

Luckily a good chunk of the Riviera Maya -- notably Playa del Carmen -- is not actually reeling from the passing of Emily. As even CNN reported a couple of days ago, the was only "minimal structural damage" in PDC. The majority of establishments are operating, although especially in the case of some (not all) big resorts in Playacar, there may be significant delays in reopening.

The storm hit farther south, somewhere Akumal and Tulum, and although I have not heard much specifically (been too busy with things here), it seems things could be seriously worse down in that direction, possibly warranting the use of "reeling" as a description of the area.

Steve

pepper131 Jul 21st, 2005 07:49 AM

Mixed in what way?

There are definately some budget places, but they keep to themselves - being on a budget and all.

anna74 Jul 21st, 2005 10:29 AM

I have nothing against budget accomodations but my husband and I are celebrating our anniversary and wanted to stay someplace nice on the riviera.

xxxx Jul 21st, 2005 11:26 AM

differentworld.com

pepper131 Jul 21st, 2005 01:43 PM

There are many special places along the Mayan Riviera. You just have to figure out what type of beach you are looking for, how much you want to spend, size, etc...

That way we can help you much better.

Differentworld.com is great. I booked my summer vacation through them and they have been nothing but the most kind and helpful people - even with the heaps of trouble with the hurricane.

Ally Jul 22nd, 2005 07:05 AM

Different World has many nice properties, all quite expensive but nice for an anniversary.
However, Hotel Playa Maya is nice, small, right on the beach in PDC and within walking distance to SEVERAL restaurants.

MrsKiss Jul 22nd, 2005 12:02 PM

The Grand Palladium is wonderful! It is highly recommended and always has excellent reviews on tripadvisor.com. I'd stay away from the Sunscape!! We have had recent, bad experiences there. And, so have others!!! Anyway, the Grand is near Tulum also! It is a distance from Cancun, also 1.5 miles! There is a lot to see in the area of the Grand. Xel-Ha is one of our favorites! Enjoy!!