Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Need Help finding "the perfect beach" in Costa Rica (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/need-help-finding-the-perfect-beach-in-costa-rica-799281/)

Lauren44 Aug 4th, 2009 11:18 AM

Need Help finding "the perfect beach" in Costa Rica

Hey there,

I am a 29 year old planning a week-long getaway vacation with my boyfriend to Costa Rica. We are planning to spend a few nights in Arenal, possibly Hotel Naraya. Then, we are venturing to the Pacific Coast. We have done a lot of research on the different beaches and can't seem to figure out which one best suits our interest. Help!

Our first priority is to find a really beautiful beach (not too rocky), with options to snorkel, sail, kayak, maybe even hike. It would be awesome if we were near a rain-forest but, not a must. We would prefer an upscale/eco-hotel, without the "resorty" feel. We thought of Paradisus (looks beautiful) but, soon discovered this resort is more of a town within itself....too grandiose and separated from the country. We also considered at Punta Islita but, were turned down by the distance from Samara....too seclusive. Samara seems awesome but, we can't find a really nice hotel. We are not looking to party but, wouldn't mind a few drinks at a cool beach bar. I think Jaco would be a bit too "rowdy" for us.

We just want a really nice beach (with activities) and a nice hotel, near a cool town. Any ideas/suggestions?

MUCH APPRECIATED!

volcanogirl Aug 4th, 2009 11:33 AM

I've had my eye on Casa Chameleon, but haven't been yet. It looks wonderful. Ylang Ylang gets good reviews too. I'll be interested to see what people chime in with because we're looking for all the same things. Did you already rule out Manuel Antonio?

qwovadis Aug 4th, 2009 11:36 AM

www.playamontezuma.net

www.ylangylangresort.com

great beach intimate town good lodgings.

qwovadis Aug 4th, 2009 11:39 AM

Tortuga Island close by amazing perfect beach...

www.zumatours.net/tortuga_island_tour.html

Lauren44 Aug 4th, 2009 12:44 PM

Mal Pais looks beautiful and perfect but, a bit concerned about the rocky beaches.

We also checked out Manuel Antonio. I would love it but, again....can't seem to find a nice hotel on or very close to the beach. Any ideas?

volcanogirl Aug 4th, 2009 01:23 PM

How about something like Buena Vista Villas or the Mot-Mot Villa at Tulemar? They share a beach.

shillmac Aug 4th, 2009 01:26 PM

I highly recommend Tulemar Bungalows at Manuel Antonio. Not only would the hotel seems to meet your expectations, but I think the area would offer everything (and more) that you are looking for. The private beach is great! The logistics are convenient as well because both Arenal and Manuel Antonio are 3 hours from the airport, with a 5 hour drive (could be longer if you make it longer) in between. Any of the north Pacific beaches are going to put you 5 hours from the airport; Malpais, while a beautiful location, is right at 6 hours from SJO and close to 7 hours, minimum, from Arenal.

Depending on your arrival/departure times, you could eek out an extra couple of nights at your locations by selecting Arenal/Manuel Antonio, a great combo for first timers to Costa Rica.

costarog Aug 4th, 2009 03:06 PM

Hmm. No one has mentioned Punta Leona yet. It's a beautiful hotel and a lot of the units are directly on the beach. It actually has 3 nice beaches but the one with white sand and blue water is Playa Blanca. Check their web site and then go on VRBO.COM and see if there's anything for rent. When you get sick of the semi seclusion you can be in Jaco or Los Suenos in about 20 minutes, Hermosa in 30 minutes, Quepos in 1 1/2 hours and Manuel Antonio in 2 hours.
The neighboring hotel is really nice as well but they only have a small beach. It's called Villa Caletas.
Good luck.
Roger.

MichelleY Aug 4th, 2009 03:16 PM

Harmony Hotel in Nosara has gotten some good reviews, but I don't think it is right on the beach. It is in a little larger town and close, as MarinaK wrote, to Samara.

tully Aug 4th, 2009 03:18 PM

There's The Harmony Hotel in Nosara.

Latitude 10, Flor Blanca, Villas Hermosas in Mal Pais/Santa Teresa.

Manuel Antonio has too many nice hotels to list.

Lauren44 Aug 4th, 2009 04:24 PM

All of these suggestions are great! Thank you....

How would everyone rank the beaches in Manuel Antonio, compared to Guanacaste or Samara, Mal Pais?

volcanogirl Aug 4th, 2009 04:52 PM

The beach inside the park in MA is beautiful, really gorgeous.