Need help deciding: Cozumel or Playa del Carmen

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:17 PM
GayW

Need help deciding: Cozumel or Playa del Carmen

My husband and I are in our 40's, no kids, love Mexico, looking for incredible water/beach, not big crowds,yet as close to 5-star hotel/service as can be had in a small Mexican resort area. We have visited Cozumel one day at Reef Club, but would prob.stay at El Presidente Intercont. next time...but I'm thinking Playa del Carmen would be new and different, and am looking at El Faro as a hotel....is this in a good area? I've looked at websites for all-inclusives and they just don't appeal to me--any trip reports or tips would be appreciated. We like snorkeling from the beach only, no scuba...like nice,fun/good restaurants, shopping...people watching...nice pool ambiance. A nice pool is important.thanks!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:53 PM
brandi

Depending on how long you are going for, why don't you split your time up between the two? I have done both and they both are wonderful. I can't speak for the El Faro, but the Presidente is fabulous with great snorkeling out front. The great beaches are in Playa Del Carmen, while the better snorkeling is at Cozumel. The shopping seemed the same at both destinations, with the same things, so not much of a difference there, same with dinning. There is a little restaurant on 5th ave, next to the 5th ave hotel, the best! Wish I could remember the name.. Anyway, hope that helps. If you are only staying for a short while, I would say go with Playa Del Carmen and maybe just go over to Cozumel for a day. <BR>Brandi

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Monica

Can help with information on the ElFaro and Playa-been going there for 13 years. Please e-mail with your questions.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 07:37 AM
chris

see my trip report on cozumel, presidente looks great, check out hte playa azul web site, upgrade to a suite ( probably still cheaper than presidente) azul's beach is better - no rocks like the presidente, it is quiet, elegant hotel, the suites have sunset view ( rroms 301 & 401) and a jacuzzi on the balacony

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Robert

To me, no hotel on Cozumel compares to the Presidente Intercontinental although many others have their strong points.<BR>The really beautiful beaches are on the undeveloped east side with long streches on white sand and nice low key restaurants such as the one at Chen Rio.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 08:27 PM
maggie

We prefer Playa del Carmen - RIU Playacar was excellent - wonderful beach. Easy to take day trip to Cozumel. Had friends stay at Cozumel and they spent most of their time getting off the island to do tours, etc. - even their scuba diving trip left Cozumel - Great pool at RIU Playacar

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 01:23 PM
MIKE

Try the Presidente on Cozumel. They have a great beach and fantastic snorkeling right there. It's close enough to town that a taxi is reasonable<BR>(I Think it was less than $5.00 last July)And you will want to go to town<BR>to eat. There are quite a few great restaraunts downtown.I've been to the <BR>Presidente 5 times so far and always enjoyed it.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Nancy

Hi Gay!<BR>You got some good tips! I agree with the other posts - we are leaving for the Presidente for the ninth year in three more weeks. <BR>PDC and Cozumel are very different, but you can split them up - we've done both also, and taking the ferry is a fun alternative.<BR>We prefer Cozumel, but PDC is funky, fun and laid back. <BR>The snorkeling at Presidente is unparalled, and the beach and pool are really lovely. Don't stay at an AI - food, yuck! Cozumel and PDC both have great restaurants.<BR>Stay in a Reef Room if you can swing it. You can easily take the ferry over to PDC for a day trip and check it out - the beach there is breathtaking! Have fun!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 09:13 AM
jane

Hi<BR>Have you seen the El Farro web site<BR>www.hotelelfarro.com? We stayed next door to the El Farro last year. The El Farro has a very pretty pool area, a nice beach and a good location just off 5th ave. I would say it would be a great choice for a beach-front hotel in town.