Belize jungle lodge -- please help choose

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to everybody who responded to my previous post about Belize. I am all set with a snorkeling resort but can't choose a jungle lodge. Also you convinced me to go in March instead of December.

I have changed my requirements a little bit after looking at different lodges. Can you please let me know which lodge would make the most sense for us?

1) We need a room / cabana that will comfortably accommodate a family of four
2) We need lots of onsite activities that would be suitable to a 6 and and 8-year old boys. By onsite activities I mean birding / nature walk, nature trails, kayaking etc. We are unlikely to go to Tikal or to go to ATM for example. Shorter trips to the ruins or caves which don't require swimming are totally fine of course.
3) Access to water in a form of a non-dry river (we will be going at the end of March) or a pool

What do you think?
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 11:49 AM

Chaa Creek is beautiful but we were MUCH happier at their jungle camp:
www.belizecamp.com

Here's my description and review:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...acio_Cayo.html

I don't know if they'll allow kids the ages of yours in the ATM cave; might consider Chechem Ha or this one:
http://www.actunchapatadventure.blogspot.com/

Let me know if you have questions!
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 12:02 PM

Chaa Creek was great with lots of onsite activities, a nice pool, and a river that runs through it. We did lots of hiking there and early morning birding. The food was very good. Service too. You might have fun doing the Barton Creek cave canoeing. Someone else paddles while you ride and get to look at neat cave formations, and there are some artifacts inside.
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 12:56 PM

By comfortable do you mean a room/cabana with 2 queen beds will suffice or are you looking for something more spacious or with more separation? You're not considering two rooms/cabanas, right? Did you decide you don't need A/C?
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 01:35 PM

I first stayed at Chaa Creek in 1991, and I have been back, alone and with my family, many times, most recently this year in May. It never fails to please.

But there are many other excellent lodges in Belize that fit what your family is looking for, depending on your interests, style and budget. duPlooy's, just a short distance from Chaa Creek by river or road, is excellent. You can swim in the river there, but duPlooy's doesn't have a pool.

Hidden Valley up in the Pine Ridge has a lot to do on site -- hiking, birding, waterfalls. Plus a pool. Ditto Blancaneaux, and you also look at Gaia Riverlodge.

Not in Cayo, but Chan Chich is one of the favorite lodges in Central America. Amazing, isolated location. Pool, great birding and animal spotting (and your chances of seeing a jaguar here are higher than at other lodges.)

Down south, the newly reopened Mama Noots has a lot to do on the grounds and nearby at Bocawina park, including what they claim is the longest zipline in Belize. And the newish Sleeping Giant lodge on the Hummingbird is also on a river, as is Ian Anderson's, though here the river does often go dry in the dry season.

Another river option down south, near PG, is Cotton Tree Lodge. Belcampo in this same area is beautiful, with a tram down to the river, but in my opinion still overpriced, despite some changes in pricing.

All of these can provide the family accommodations you want, at a price.

And there are others.

I know it's hard to decide, but in most cases the lodge websites give a true picture of what to expect, sometimes even if inadvertently. Most are trying to reach a specific kind of audience, and their websites reflect that. Compare, say, the Chaa Creek and Cotton Tree sites, and you can see what they're shooting for.

--Lan Sluder
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 04:41 PM

By all means check out Chaa Creek. I love it, my kids (now young to older teen) always love it. 365 acres of beautiful rainforest and so many things to do the time just always flies by for us.
Their Macal River Camp is also very nice - not as deluxe, but you have easy walking access to the resort.
But for my money, given how much there is to do there, the amazing staff, food and general great vibe, Chaa Creek is the place (especially, if like us, you love horses and canoeing.
But wherever you go, have a great time - we love Belize.
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions! They really help!

Patty, I would prefer three beds -- for example a queen and two twins or a bunk bed. We could do two queens too but that would be less comfortable. Two cabanas would be too expensive I am afraid. No A/C will have to do. There is just nothing with A/C.

hopefulist, why were you happier with the jungle camp?

Chaa Creek is my default lodge. I guess I am trying to see if there is a better option / value. But perhaps not.

LanSluder, I can't understand the pricing at Hidden Valley. It sounds like we would have to pay $2K / night. If that is the case, we are priced out. Gaia sounds very good indeed. Will consider. Blancaneaux lists only very long tours -- 4-6 hours and the prices are very high. I guess I need to write to them and ask if they have shorter nature / hiking activities.

Volcanogirl, yes, Barton Creek cave canoeing sounds good. Do you know which rivers dry up and which don't? Do many dry up?
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 06:10 PM

From what you've said in the other thread, I don't think you'd be happy at Macal River Camp. It's more like deluxe camping. The cabins don't have electricity or bathrooms. You do have access to Chaa Creek facilities at a very reasonable price.

Chan Chich doesn't have any cabins with 3 beds so you'd be limited to their villa (which does have A/C) but is pricey. It's situated on a partially excavated ruin but not on water. However as mentioned above it does have a pool. They offer day/night walks, farm tours, night drives, extensive trails and can take you canoeing, horseback riding, to nearby ruins and wetlands for a different birding habitat. It's really your top or one of your top wildlife options in Belize.

LOL has 2 lagoon front and a garden view cabin with either 3 beds or 2 beds plus a sofa bed (I think the A/C cabin only has a queen and sofa bed). They offer day/night walks, day/night boat rides, tour of the ruins, guided and unguided canoeing and the boat transfer is really like a wildlife tour. I recommend taking the river transfer route at least one way. It's located on the New River Lagoon but has no pool.

Lodges on the Macal River should give you easy access to canoeing/swimming. I don't think it ever dries up but there may be low spots where you may need to get out of the canoe for a short distance. As Lan mentioned duPlooys doesn't have a pool but does have a small beach area on the river. You might want to take a look at the Casita, Macal or Mopan suites here. I think duPlooys offers good value on accommodations for bigger parties but is not as high end as Chaa Creek. There are day/night walks, canoeing, horseback riding and a botanic garden and lots of options for tours of various duration/distance to ruins, caves, etc. nearby. If you stay in the Cayo region, you can also book your tours through third party tour operators and don't necessarily have to book through your lodge.
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 06:17 PM

Our room at Chaa Creek had a little private patio type area with hammocks. We really enjoyed having that.

All the rivers we saw were going strong when we were there, so I can really only speak to our experience. The Barton Creek cave area is pretty with really beautiful water; it has a magical kind of feeling about it. Your kids might also enjoy the night hike. We had a big group of little ones on ours, and they loved seeing all the little insects, frogs, etc. I'd pack a flashlight for each person if you're interested.
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Patty, how big are the beds at Chan Chich in the cabanas with two? Doubles?
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 07:45 PM

I believe they're 2 queens and you can get that option in either the standard or deluxe cabanas.
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Patty, great, thank you! It will be high on my list then
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 03:59 AM

alias-hiddenvalleyinn.com is 245.00 per night for two with tax-grat. Meals extra. 90 miles of hiking and Mtn biking trails, 7 private waterfalls, wildlife on property, spa, pool, hot tub and more
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 04:27 AM

Chan Chich does have a two-bedroom (at least) cottage with A/C. It's not like the thatch regular and deluxe cabanas, more like a regular house but it is on the grounds near the cabanas.
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 04:36 AM

Blancaneaux has a lot of activities on site -- pool and river swimming, hiking, horseback riding, etc. But like all the better lodges is expensive. Also, in some ways it is a more "sophisticated" lodge, perhaps not the best lodge for young children, though my kids stayed there when they were young and liked it.

Katie replied to you on pricing at Hidden Valley. You have to check pricing on food. That really adds up at the lodges, and most are remote so you have to eat there. Some charge all kids half price, I think a couple may offer meals for kids under a certain age at no cost.

I missed your first round of posts, but renting a car makes a lot of sense for families for most of the lodges. You can do trips and tours on your own and not have to pay the high per-person charges.
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Katie, will we be allowed in the estate rooms with two kids? I see rates only for three people. And the suite is more expensive. The all inclusive rate is $450 / person and I didn't know if there is any discount for the kids
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

LanSluder, thank you!
No car for us.
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 09:01 AM

I uploaded some photos of the Chan Chich cabanas for you share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZNnDlk5YtmbD9A The first 5 are of the deluxe cabana and the last 3 are of the regular cabana. These were taken a few years ago and the deluxe cabanas at that time had larger bathrooms, a walk in closet and a futon on the deck. I don't think the regular cabanas had the desk area with the mini fridge either.
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Patty!
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 10:34 AM
RAC

Lamanai Outpost Lodge has outstanding activities on site for all times of day--from dawn until it's pitch black outside.

You can even go on an evening crocodile catch and tag boat trip. Kids could hold the croc, help weigh it, etc.

We saw a lot of families there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -