Need advice on Mexico trip in late November - Cabo or Acapulco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I, both in our late 20's want to go to Mexico during the last week of November. The goal of the trip is to relax on the beach for a week. Our budget is around $1,000 to $1,300 (including airfare). We both live on the west coast, so the flight will be short. We would like to go the western side of mexico and need advice on the following three places based on weather,price of hotels, meals, bars,etc., number of people (crowdedness):

Cabo San Lucas
Puerto Vallarta
Acapulco

We are concerned that Acapulco may be too touristy.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you!
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 08:22 AM

Based on your budget, I'd research condo rentals in Cabo San Lucas. The airfare should be cheaper for Cabo and a condo will allow you to save on food/drink by shopping at a grocery store. Having been to all 3 cities, I personally better enjoy the beaches in Cabo (although some are not recommended for swimming, due to strong currents).
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 02:23 PM

The beaches are probably best in Cabo but as the last poster indicated you don't want to go into the water. However the village of Cabo is a pure dump with very few really good restaurants but lots of strip clubs & rowdy bars. Be careful of getting drugged & worst. PVs beaches are nothing to write home about but the town is very charming with lots of excellent restaurants & the drinking estblishments that are on a much, let's just say, safer level than Cabo. The airfare, of course, will be least expensive to Cabo. Without question I would choose PV over Cabo. Acapulco I have never visited so can't speak concerning that location.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Been to both.
Acapulco has by far the best weather but it is a big dirty city. The Bay tho it is beautiful to look at I wouldn't want to swim in. There is also the aspect of crime since the city is surrounded by poverty.
It is concrete high rises and the area where the cheap hotels are found is very densely populated and squalid. There is now a new highway linking it to Mexico City so is it a weekend getaway with six lane boulevard of discos and bars. High traffic and noisy.

Go to Zihautenjo which is a few hours drive up the coast, there you will find what you are looking for or try Barra de Navidad south of Peurta Vallarta. Cheap accomadations and cheap eats.

Cabo even the cheap hotels are not cheap. It is gringo land Mexican style. The town is a dump and it is expensive.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:15 PM

hi--
Having been to Acapulco and PV, I have to recommend PV. Much nicer! My sister and I went to Acapulco last year... didn't enjoy it at all. Dirty, Dirty, Dirty.

Beaches are nothing to write home about in PV, but a pool by the beach in PV is quite relaxing-- and there are lots of great, inexpensive restaurants, activities, etc. Weather has always been hot-- but superb when I've been there. (June & July). As for crowds-- avoid the high school / college graduation dates as well as spring break and I'm sure you'll be fine. And even still... if you avoid the standard Carlos & Charlies, Senior Frogs, etc... you'll be fine.

Have fun.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Puerto Vallarta is a wonderful destination. It has the tourist infrastructure and ammenities but still maintains a normal Mexican town atmosphere. Fly down on Alaska Air, and get a hotel down on the "southside" of town in one of the local 3-star hotels ($50-75USD will get you an OK room). Or look into a package deal, but that will probably put you into regular tourist-type resort hotel most likely a bit outside of town to the north, but could be a good value.

The beaches are not picture perfect, but everything else IMO from safety, to the friendly local people, restaurants, ease of getting around, PV is a hands-down winner.

Having said all that, I can't comment on Cabo but hear scary things, or on Acapulco but know it is a much bigger city situation ONLY because I keep going back to Puerto Vallarta again and again!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! This is great! I think we will go ahead with Puerto Vallarta. Now the question is - WHAT HOTEL? We are looking for something in the $40-60 per night range. Not a dump, but basic. But with a great pool (I hate sand!)

Thanks!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Unfortunately in that price range the pools are not in the "great" rather adequate category. Most at that price don't even have pools. Sooo here are my favorites, with pools of some sort, in the $40-60USD range (and in order of my own preference):

Hotel Posada de Roger
Hotel Eloisa
Hotel Rio
Hotel Encino
Hotel Posada Rio Cuale

Most have websites, let me know if you need help finding them. These are all located just south or north of the bridge at Rio Cuale (in Old Town/El Centro) and between 1-4 blocks in from the beach.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:22 AM

If you like, price these out against the Alaska Air vacation air/hotel packages, which will get you more boring, less Mexican style hotels, but might offer standard resort pools (someplace like Rosita or Buenaventura).
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 10:00 AM

I stayed at the Hotel Eloisa this past February and liked it very much. The room was $70/night, but I assume it might be cheaper in November. They have two pools, one in the lobby (which I have never seen anyone use) and one above on the rooftoop terrace. The pool is small but does the trick. They have a website. I believe it is www.hoteleloisa.com. Enjoy!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:20 AM

Besides differing rates for low & high season, Eloisa also prices rooms by - if they have a fan only or A/C, a TV or not, and how many people in the room.

On my list it is the most "expensive" place mentioned, also closest to the beach.