Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Need a hotel in San Jose close to airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/need-a-hotel-in-san-jose-close-to-airport-407223/)

soniela Mar 5th, 2004 10:48 AM

Need a hotel in San Jose close to airport

We need to stay in San Jose on our last night in Costa Rica. Our flight leaves in the afternoon. Any recommendations? Thank you!

TVL Mar 5th, 2004 10:58 AM

Soniela,
If you want a pretty hotel w/pool/driving range/pretty grounds choose the Costa Rica Marriott. It is about 10 minutes from the airport and has a free shuttle to the airport. Since the airport always seemed to have a fixed price in regards to transportation around CR we would get dropped off at the airport and take the shuttles to the hotels. If your main purpose is to sleep and sit by the pool and relax before your flight then I would recommend the Hampton Inn & Suites (not the Hampton Inn). They sit right next door to each other but from our stay last month I noticed the Hampton Inn & Suites is brand new and each room comes with a microwave etc. It also had a complimentary breakfast with fruit and other items in the morning. The free shuttle will take you to the airport (less than 5 min. ride). Plus everyone there was really nice!!

TVL Mar 5th, 2004 11:00 AM

Almost forgot, the Hampton Inn & Suites also has free Internet/business center.

Ally Mar 5th, 2004 11:39 AM

I like the Orquideas Inn in Alajuela, 10-15 minutes from the airport. A little less sterile than the 'American' Hampton Inn and Marriotts. It's a lovely place with a cute little bar, nice pool and views and gardens to wander. Their full breakfast buffet is included and has got to be one of the best in the country. Don't expect phones or TV's in the rooms (although I heard they we're putting in TV's in some rooms) but a nice place with great people. Most guest hang around in the common 'family room' or in the little bar/restaurant area.It's just a great little hideaway from the rest of the common hotels.

Iza Mar 5th, 2004 12:18 PM

Depending on your budget, Xandari may be a nice option. It is a beautiful hotel close to the airport and provides a perfect way to finish a trip to CR.

Suzie2 Mar 5th, 2004 01:37 PM

I stayed at the Orquideas for the first time this year and really enjoyed it. All the travelers were very friendly and it was a fun place to stay.
I hear the Bougainvilla is a nice place not too far and I believe they have a shuttle into San Jose if you want to check it out before heading to the airport.

LA_FadeAway Mar 5th, 2004 06:15 PM

We're going to try Vida Tropical B&B in August. 5 minutes from the airport w/ free cab fair. It's on ly $35 for the two fo us.
www.vidatropical.com

mparker10 Mar 6th, 2004 11:41 AM

Just got back last night and we spent our last night at the Peace Lodge at the Lapaz Waterfall Gardens. Its a beautiful place and if you can arrive by noon the day before, you have pleanty of time to view the grounds, vist the Poas Volcano and spend an evening in a really beautiful hotel. Its not cheap but it is really nice. The drive to the airport is about an hour. Our flight left at @ 3 and we had time for a leasurely breakfest and stopped at a coffee plantation. Much more fun than a airport hotel.

Tess_Durberville Mar 6th, 2004 12:47 PM

I've stayed a first/last night in the very non-descript Hampton Inn. Convenient, yes, however there are other options for your last hurrah. Also stayed in the Hotel Martino (in Alajuela); it's more expensive than the Hampton Inn. Read good things on this forum about Orquideas Inn.

I know absolutely nothing about this place, however their website is quite charming, Casa Yapanqui >>> http://www.yapanqui.com/aboutus.shtml

jbella Mar 8th, 2004 09:17 AM

If you want your last night in CR to be the perfect topper to a perfect trip, I recommend the Hotel Buena Vista in Alajuela. The have complimentary airport service. This hotel has the comfort Americans are used to and the friendship and family feeling the the Costa Ricans so lovingly provide. Your every need will be met, you'll make new friends and the cost is reasonable.
Wishing you, Pura Vida.