Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Necessary to bring Pesos? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/necessary-to-bring-pesos-674740/)

travel52 Jan 29th, 2007 08:08 AM

Necessary to bring Pesos?

We leave for our 1st trip to Mexico (Puerto Vallerta) next week. Do we need to bring pesos with us? Part of our Alaska Airlines package is an airport pickup. I'm thinking we may need pesos for a tip. Friends have told us to bring U.S. dollars to tip daily maid service. What do you think?

Earthtraveler Jan 29th, 2007 08:18 AM

Eveyone loves US dollars for tips.

travel52 Jan 29th, 2007 08:19 AM

So no need for pesos?

molly4669 Jan 29th, 2007 08:30 AM

hope someone replys to this message, going in Feb myself...give us great tips on restaurants and fun finds when you get back!

Earthtraveler Jan 29th, 2007 08:33 AM

No

Stewbear Jan 29th, 2007 08:47 AM

I do not know where Earthtrav;er got her/his info but Mexicans FAR Prefer Pesos! Would you want to be paid in pesos in THE US? Now being polite they will tell you US money is fine but all your doing is forcing them to make a extra trip to the bank to exchange them. There is a ATM at the airport where you can get a great exchange rate for your dollars. A added thing is if you use dollars for purcahses you will take a beating on the exchange rate as stores, cabs Etc willonly give 10 to 1 & the current rate is 10.9 to 1. So unless you wish to pay a extra 9% for everthing get pesos.

Earthtraveler Jan 29th, 2007 09:05 AM

Thanks for setting me straight Stewbear.

mikemo Jan 29th, 2007 10:26 AM

As always, No fee ATMs for cash and no/low fee CCs.
Tip in pesos!
M (SMdA, Gto.)

MikeT Jan 29th, 2007 11:58 AM

Assuming the PV airport has an ATM machine, you can get pesos when you land there if you are flying direct.

If not, you can probably tip the driver in dollars, but after that get pesos. It is a myth that the local would rather be tipped in pesos.

mikemo Jan 29th, 2007 12:18 PM

I guess the posts speak for themselves, lol.
Some posters actually live here (yes, full time).
M

MikeT Jan 29th, 2007 12:20 PM

Oooops.

I meant it's a myth they'd rather by tipped in DOLLARS. Of course, you should use the currency of that country. I was agreeing with MikeMo.

suze Jan 29th, 2007 01:19 PM

I go to Puerto Vallarta often, have for years... use peso.

If you need to tip the driver that first time in USD, that's OK, I guess. But no one specifically "wants" USD - that is simply bad advice. Especially the maid who cleans your room... she wants to buy groceries on her way home, not go stand in line at the bank to exchange money.

FainaAgain Jan 29th, 2007 01:33 PM

I'm reading this too... note to myself: get some pesos here for small purchases on the tour.

MikeT Jan 29th, 2007 01:34 PM

"she wants to buy groceries on her way home, not go stand in line at the bank to exchange money."

Exactly.

DRMIKEPHD Jan 30th, 2007 07:44 AM

Hit the nearest ATM and get pesos. Using an ATM will give you the best exchange rate (and this is currently quite good).

Do note that both the local bank and your home bank are likely to charge a foreign exchange fee. To avoid this, see if your home bank has a relationship with a Mexican bank. Typically linked banks will not charge this fee. My home bank is Bank of America. Santander Bank in Mexico is an affiliate. So I pay no additional fees.

Also note that your credit card company may also charge a foreign transaction fee.

FainaAgain Jan 30th, 2007 07:49 AM

Did they catch on on DCC like European countries, or will my credit card be charged in pesos?

(DCC=dynamic currency conversion when in a foreign country my credit card is charged in the US dollars "for your convenience" meaning at the conversion rate of their random choice)

mikemo Jan 30th, 2007 10:10 AM

FA,
I have not seen that here in Mexico ('tho we did in the UK as early as 7/'04), but I nearly always pay in cash (pesos).
M

FainaAgain Jan 30th, 2007 03:01 PM

"see if your home bank has a relationship with a Mexican bank" - my bank is linked with "Ban Amex" LOL it's good I don't have American Express :)

travel52 Feb 1st, 2007 09:47 AM

Thanks very much. Your advice makes snese.

arriba Feb 3rd, 2007 01:41 PM

We always arrive with pesos as a convenience only. When we arrive we just don't want to look for an ATM, even in the airport! We bring enough to last a few days by which time we will have passed ATMs.