Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Nature Air vs. Sansa (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/nature-air-vs-sansa-677179/)

ShellD Feb 6th, 2007 04:36 AM

Nature Air vs. Sansa

I think this is really the last detail we have left to plan. I've done a search and read the previous posts, but most of them are a few years old.

Other than the location of the terminals, is there really a difference between the two airlines? Or should we just go with which schedule suits us best? To fly to Puerto Jimenez, we'll be driving ourselves, coming from Peace Lodge....which terminal would be most convenient? Oh, I guess we'll have to return our rental car though. We're using Tricolor. How will that work? We return the car and they hopefully bring us to the terminal? And then on our arrival back into San Jose, we have one final night, which I'm not sure yet where we are staying. If a hotel provides airport transfers, will they pick us up at either Sansa or Nature Air? Or do they just mean they will pick up at the SJO airport? We may be staying at the Costa Rica Marriott - we have a friend who works for Marriott who may be able to get us a room there for our last night - very discounted rate and for an early flight home, it may work well.

So, is there a preferred airline to take to Puerto Jimenez?

Thanks again for the help!

DOCROX Feb 6th, 2007 05:15 AM

We have only flown Nature Air. I had read that their safety record was better, but don't have any proof of that. The flights were on time. Pilots very proffessional. Plane was very clean and appeared new. I guess there is some difference in the type of airplane each uses also. Someone here will know that info. The hotels will pick you up at either airport but remember to confirm with them that they have the right one written down.

shillmac Feb 6th, 2007 05:24 AM

We're taking Sansa down to PJ, Nature Air back--to get the times we wanted. Sansa definitely more convenient to you after dropping off at Tricolor, and yes, they will take you over to the terminal. Not sure about pick up should you be returning on Nature Air. We'll probably take a taxi to the Tricolor office.

Earthtraveler Feb 6th, 2007 06:25 AM

Nature Air - two prop planes
Sansa- one prop

We used Sansa to Pj on the Osa last year with no problems.

snoopy12 Feb 6th, 2007 12:41 PM

Tricolor will pick you up at Pavas and drive you back to the SJ office. I just did this.

sandyc Feb 7th, 2007 10:21 AM

I prefer Nature Air. Their scheduling is more reliable -- Sansa seems to drop people off of the flight manifests from time to time.

Sandy

glover Feb 7th, 2007 11:09 AM

One difference used to be that Nature Air flies twin engine planes and Sansa single. That stuck in my mind! Not sure if this is still true. Nevertheless we ended up flying Sansa cause that's what worked for our schedule ...

faithie Feb 7th, 2007 02:39 PM

Nature Air has a slightly better safety record as mentioned, and the twin prop thing as well. The first trip with our children we used Nature Air for this reason, but the last trip with them and our 2 previous trips without them we used Sansa with no difficulties.

tully Feb 7th, 2007 03:15 PM

I always use Sansa, just due to convenience of location and they have more flights and better flight times. Not sure on this, but I think in past several years, Nature Air has had 1 fatal accident and Sansa has had 2, so it's not a huge difference.

francetrip Feb 7th, 2007 04:32 PM

I'm not so sure those stats are going to relax anyone! Don't worry and enjoy the ride I say.

How many seats on the Nature air down to PJ?

AdriBuff Feb 19th, 2007 10:10 AM

Nature Air was great, BUT they fly out of a different airport, so you have to take a Taxi if you are connecting from one of the international airlines - it looks like a short hop on the map, but it wasn't.

Suzie2 Feb 19th, 2007 11:14 AM

I use Nature Air for the schedules. They just seem to fit better even with the taxi drive.

volcanogirl Mar 19th, 2009 03:01 PM

We've always used Sansa and liked them - I like the convenience of their airport being right next door to SJO. I've heard they are remodeling their terminal.

petite43 Mar 19th, 2009 03:28 PM

This might seem like a silly question but how do you get to the Sansa terminal from the Int'l one? I know it's right next door but when you exit the Int'l airport it's very congested there & walking with the luggage seems a little inconvenient.
Is there another way to get there? Thanks!

tully Mar 19th, 2009 07:14 PM

You could take a taxi but by the time you do that and do the u-turn across the busy road you could've walked there. As soon as you walk out, just hang a left, down the sidewalk slope and keep bearing left along the fence, past the little fire station and into the sansa parking lot.

Here's a marked up google earth: http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...localeid=en_US You can see the sidewalk, fire station & Sansa parking lot

petite43 Mar 20th, 2009 02:22 AM

Thanks Tully! Walking it will be...I'm counting down, 2 more months until our trip to BDC. Can't wait!!

Mixter603 Mar 22nd, 2009 03:01 PM

We've flown both Sansa as well as N.A. On the way to BdC we took Sansa. The plane is a single propella whereas the NA planes are double. I think that makes a difference in the smoothness of the ride. Also, NA is more true to their schedules. I know of a few people who have had their Sansa flight times changed with absolutely no notice whatsoever. A bit unprofessional and you could end up missing connectios.
Nature Air is my preference.

petite43 Mar 22nd, 2009 06:27 PM

Thanks for the tip about checking Sansa flight times...ours have been changed from a 9:30am San Jose departure to 2:20pm and I'm not happy. I used my TACA frequent flier miles to purchase the tix back in July which was no easy task & even though the 8:30am flight is still available I'm not sure I'll be able to find someone who can help make the change to the earlier flight. To make the reservations I had to drive from Long Island to Queens & argue with the TACA ticket agent about whether or not Sansa even flew to PJ. It took 2 weeks and a lot of phone calls and emails to finally get our reservations confirmed. Now Sansa won't help me because TACA made the reservations and of course TACA can't help me because it's a Sansa flight. I've been able to email a res agent in San Jose who sounds like she may be able to help and assuming she can I guess my next question should be is there anything to do in Puerto Jiminez or the surrounding area before we can check into BDC? or are we better off going straight to the hotel & just having them hold our luggage until our room is ready? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

volcanogirl Mar 22nd, 2009 07:10 PM

Our room wasn't ready when we got to BdC; we had a cold drink and had them walk us through everything. They would be happy to hold your luggage while you go explore or check out the trails.

cmerrell Mar 22nd, 2009 07:19 PM

To second VG's comments, we found the BdC staff to be wonderfully accommodating. Our flight down was delayed and we arrived after their set lunch time was over. They kept the kitchen open for us and made sure we had a good meal.