Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

My parents are watching the kids!! - help me find a destination for a much needed vacation!

Search

My parents are watching the kids!! - help me find a destination for a much needed vacation!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 08:36 AM
MK2
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a my kids staying with the folks for about 4 nights/5 days in Jan. 2006. Please help me choose where to go with my husband for a RELAXING time. Here is my wish list:

*Reasonable flight time from DC/Baltimore area(i.e. not over 5 hours)
*nice resort, easy to get to from the airport
*Nice beaches, good snorkeling, "low key" island flavor
*warm temps

Here's a little info about me. We've been to St. John twice and have absolutely loved it...would go back in a heart beat, however, the trip there and back can be time consuming with the transfer from St. Thomas, etc. I'm trying to maximize my time on the beach and therefore am looking for a place that doesn't take an hour to get to once we land at the airport. Went to Cancun two years ago and while that was convienent and affordable, I would love to find another place that wasn't so commercialized. Not sure about the Bahamas, Key West or much else...would those be warm enough in January (i.e. warm enough to be in a bathing suit on the beach?)

Remember...I only have 4 nights/5 days. My kids are 1, 2 and 3 (crazy I know!)..I need this break badly! Thanks for any recommendations.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 02:18 AM

Yes MK2,
I am not sure on how can I advice you but your time is really limited. You need more time and I could advice yu to travel to Africa .
Like Zanzbar or to see thewild life up there.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 02:40 AM

Hi, MK2!

It seems to me this post belongs in the Caribbean section, rather than Latin America and that may be why you are not getting any useful answers.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 04:18 AM

You may want to try either Playa del Carmen (about an hour south of Cancun) or Isla Mujeres - a little island off the coast of Cancun - both are way more low key and a lot less commercialized than Cancun. The beach on Isla Mujeres, Playa Norte, is beautiful. Both Isla and PDC have plenty of restaurant options, all within walking distance - big plus! Check out www.isla-mujeres.net or www.playadelcarmeninfo.com.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree that flying into Cancun then going on either to Isla Mujeres or Playa del Carmen would be great.

My favorite Mexican destination is Puerto Vallarta, which fits what you want once you arrive but probably would be longer flights than you want for a 4 night stay. Flip side you might find a really good package deal for a short stay.

Why don't you buy an issue of "Budget Travel" magazine and look in the section called "40 Best" for package vacation deals/ideas?
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:09 AM

I'm thinking Belize or the areas south of Cancun (Akumal - excellent snorkling - Las Casitas hotel).

Whatever you can can direct from your area (don't forget to check charters for flight only).
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:53 PM

I'd go for the area around and south of Playa del Carmen...lots of nice little boutique hotels like the Playa Maya, or if you want a bigger resort, the Riu Palace. Playa is a really fun, low key place.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:56 PM

or, if you have plenty of $$$, check out Ikal del Mar, or esencia. The website differentworld.com has a lot of low key places on the Mayan Riviera, from luxury to more economical...
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:21 AM

How great for you! My parents watch our kids once a year for a week and it is so great to get away. We have been doing these trips for 8 years now, here's some of the places we've been that may fit the bill for you (we really enjoyed all these places) -

Point Grace, Turks and Caicos
Royal Hideaway, Playa Del Carmen
Curacao Marriott
Hyatt Dorado Beach, Puerto Rico

Both Royal Hideaway and Hyatt Dorado are about 40 minutes from the airport but since it's a short direct flight in most cases, the total trip time isn't that long and the destinations worth it. Curacao is the furthest, about 2 1/2 hour flight from Miami, the resort is 10 -15 minutes from the airport. Point Grace is only about a 1 1/2 hour flight from Miami and 10 minutes from the airport. Some people think T & C is not quite warm enough in December and January, it's actually near the Bahamas.