Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   My Costa Rica trip just blew up! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/my-costa-rica-trip-just-blew-up-457595/)

soloadventurer Dec 3rd, 2008 09:21 PM

My Costa Rica trip just blew up!

Help! I planned this trip (Feb. 14-25) for many, many months, finally booked it in September. Then an unexpected twist - got laid off from my job in early October. Landed my dream job a month later (very lucky!!). Found out today that there is a national sales conference I have to attend Feb. 18 - 22. NO!!! After my (small) panic attack of the thought of losing my dream vacation I called the airlines and pleaded my case. I was able to get my ticket changed to Jan. 31 - Feb. 11 and they waived the change fee. I have spent the rest of the night emailing the hotels hoping they can change my reservations. If they can't, what are my chances for finding affordable ($100/night) lodging for these dates at this time? I am going to Monteverde (2 nights), Arenal (4 nights) and Manuel Antonio ( 4 nights) and the last night near the airport ( had reserved Hotel Orquideas Inn)?
The good news is that I'm still going but who knows if I have a place to stay! So much for planning! :) Any help would be much appreciated!

RAC Dec 4th, 2008 04:16 AM

Try Arco Iris for the Monteverde area.

qwovadis Dec 4th, 2008 04:44 AM

Usually book moderate lodging on flight nights with free SJO transport.

www.adventure-inn.com

Canadian owned nice

Not a big Orchuideas fan due to recent bad room mould mildew experience.

www.arenal.net

will have good options

www.hotelsilenciodelcampo.com nice

in Monteverde Bel Mar Trapp Lodge

Fonda Vela best have fun,

plumboy Dec 4th, 2008 05:03 AM

For Manuel Antonio, try Hotel Mandarina. Definitely in your price range - no ocean view - but it looks perfectly nice to me.

I'm sure you'll be able to find SOMEWHERE to stay.

I'm sure you've been to Trip Advisor, but that's a good place to start for a list of hotels in all the areas. Maybe call them instead of emailing, at this point - that way you get pushed to the top of the list.

Hey, at least you got your dream job!

volcanogirl Dec 4th, 2008 05:04 AM

We had a great junior suite at Fonda Vela in Monteverde; the price was really affordable. In Arenal, check out Silencio del Campo. We liked Grano de Oro for our last night in San Jose. Good luck!

plumboy Dec 4th, 2008 05:05 AM

Just to clarify, I'm suggesting you call the hotels (not Trip Advisor) - in case that wasn't clear!

plumboy Dec 4th, 2008 05:10 AM

For Arenal, check out Cerro Chato Eco Lodge (http://www.geocities.com/cerrochatoc..._breakfast.htm). Looks very basic, but VERY inexpensive - gets great reviews on TA. Just a place to lay your head with a great view of the volcano.

Haven't stayed there but it's in my "cheap but good places to stay" list.

Eressea Dec 4th, 2008 12:58 PM

solo:

Also check out Hotel Sierra Arenal
http://www.hotelsierraarenal.co.cr/

I stayed there during my last trip -a budget option at $35 a night (includes all taxes and breakfast) although it may be slightly more since you'll be there during the high season. Locally owned by sweet Costa Rican family. Walking distance to the center of town and half a block away from La Choza de Laurel as well as other restaurants and shops, automercado, souvenir stores and tour companies.

Plus every room has a view of the volcano. My tour director got me a second floor room so I had the view and a balcony with rocking chairs as well. Clean rooms, AC, cable TV, hot water, icebox, free internet next to the lobby, responsive staff, etc.

soloadventurer Dec 4th, 2008 05:40 PM

Thanks to everyone that replied with helpful suggestions. I had heard from all of my hotels (except Orquideas Inn) and they were able to change my dates, no problem.
I may need to change my hotel for the last night but from a post here, sounds like that won't be a bad thing. I wasn't aware that Orquideas Inn had a "moldy room" problem. Many people have recommended it.
Thanks again!

shillmac Dec 4th, 2008 07:24 PM

Just me, I'd stay with my Orquideas reservation. It's a great place to stay. If there were a persistent problem, you would have heard it from a whole host of people.

RAC Dec 4th, 2008 07:54 PM

I second shillmac--no place is going to have a perfect track record in pleasing their guests. We thought Orquideas was great. We stayed in one of the deluxe rooms (upper building).

tully Dec 4th, 2008 07:58 PM

I'll third! I always stay at Orquideas, love it, many people do. Make sure to have a meal there as well, excellent food.

hipvirgochick Dec 4th, 2008 08:43 PM

I like Orchideas also. I would keep it.

volcanogirl Dec 5th, 2008 04:29 AM

solo, a lot of CR hotels can develop a musty smell from all the dampness and humidity. I pack a small little spray bottle of Febreeze, and that helps. Also, if your hotels have AC, running it reduces the moisture in the air. Orquideas is very popular on the boards.

Shooie Dec 5th, 2008 09:12 AM

Orquideas is for sale. I don't know if that's a bad sign or not.

RAC Dec 5th, 2008 09:29 AM

If I had a large amount of capital sitting around, it'd be a great sign!

But, back to the recession.

volcanogirl Dec 5th, 2008 09:37 AM

Is the economy in CR hurting like we are? I would suppose that our economic downturns really impact them. When we were there in July, we saw very few Americans, but tons of folks from Spain.

RAC Dec 5th, 2008 11:26 AM

Considering they saw 2 Million visitors this year, I would guess the tourism industry is doing okay there.

Nowhere on the planet is going to be doing great for the next few years.

tully Dec 5th, 2008 02:55 PM

I'm curious where you heard it was for sale? I know several years ago it was for sale to the now current owners but hadn't heard anything about it being for sale now.

Shooie Dec 5th, 2008 04:52 PM

Here's where I saw it:
http://www.viviun.com/Real_Estate/Costa_Rica/Hotels/