Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   My Costa Rica photos (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/my-costa-rica-photos-491727/)

oleg Dec 21st, 2004 06:42 AM

My Costa Rica photos

http://www.pbase.com/lempert/costa_rica

shillmac Dec 21st, 2004 07:28 AM

Very nice photography. Costa Rica photos are excellent, but I REALLY enjoyed the Vermont photo! Wow!

oleg Dec 21st, 2004 08:02 AM

Thanks, shillmac

Pete1222 Dec 21st, 2004 01:16 PM

Great job on the photos! What camera did you use? Also how did you like the Osa? We're heading down end of March w/ our two children. We are hoping to spend 2 or 3 nights down on the Osa Peninsula.
Thanks for the photos.
Pete & Wendy

mary_s Dec 21st, 2004 03:21 PM

Great pictures!! We're headed to Costa Rica for the first time in February. If the only photo that I capture of Arenal is as beautiful as yours I wouldn't mind if was the one and only time I saw the top of the volcano.
Thanks for sharing your pics!

Percy Dec 21st, 2004 03:52 PM

Great pictures oleg.

Sometimes you have to be dumb lucky to see Arenal at its best with no clouds.

But your backlit Arenal photo was delightful.

shillmac....I could not find the Vermont picture !??

percy

shillmac Dec 21st, 2004 06:17 PM

Percy, click on "All Galleries".

Only 3 more shopping days left until Christmas! :)

ltilson Dec 21st, 2004 06:34 PM

Great pictures .... we are staying at Bosque del Cabo in April and I was wondering about that giant spider....how giant was it and please don't tell me it was in your room.....eeeeek!! Which cabina did you stay in.....can't wait to get there...Lori

shillmac Dec 22nd, 2004 04:10 AM

Hi Lori!
That giant spider is called a "Golden Orb". They can be seen many places in Costa Rica so they are quite common. Never have seen one inside a cabin (and I don't think they would like that any more than you), but we had one outside the deck of our cabin at BDC.

Some of my favorite photos in CR are of this gal. As far as spiders go, she is one of the most attractive! Her tummy is green and looks to have a little pinkish/red rosebud on it! At least in one of my photos. . .:) The male can usually be found in the web as well, but he is miniscule compared to her! Probably trying to keep a low profile so as not to be devoured!

oleg Dec 22nd, 2004 06:03 AM

Dear fellow-travellers,
Thank you for comments about the photos. Honestly, I do not consider them great. Some of them are good, like the ones in Landscapes & Insects/Reptiles galleries. But I was dissapointed when I saw how pics in Mammals gallery came out. On the other hand, it is difficult to photograph monkeys when the light is dim under the canopy, and they are not still. Or when an object is backlit on a tree.
To Pete & Wendy:
----------------
1. I use digital Panasonic Lumix FZ10 camera. It has 12X optical zoom and many other features. But this camera likes a lot of light. You can get tons of info on this camera on www.dpreview.com site (it is like Fodors for digital cameras).
2. How did I like Osa? Well, English language lacks words to describe it. I have been there twice - Casa Corcovado Jungle lodge last year and BDC just two weeks ago. Both are terrific.

To mary_s and Percy
---------------------
I spent 4 days in Arenal area. It was rainy and foggy, especially afternoons. But it was end of November. Dry season comes to Arenal later than to Pacific. It should be different in February.

To ltilson:
----------------
It was big. The camera exagarated slightly. The spider weaved its net under the roof of the bar. I won't be surprised if it is still there when you go in April. It seemed motionless, day after day.

Percy Dec 22nd, 2004 10:17 AM

Yep,I clicked on All Galleries and there was Vermont and ,yes very lovely colours.
Thanks shillmac and Thank You oleg.

Percy

eileenleft Dec 23rd, 2004 02:25 PM

Thank you for the pics. I can't believe I am leaving for Puerto Jimenez on January 2! I sent the link to my travelling companions so they can get ready too.

Molly2 Dec 23rd, 2004 04:24 PM

Fabulous photos! You sure saw a lot of wildlife!

Pete1222 Dec 24th, 2004 12:41 PM

Oleg,
Did you fly both times down to the Osa?
I'm trying to discern if I should fly in and out or take the drive and check out the local scene.
If we fly I think I'll do the 1 week promo that Sansa offers for $199 to fly anywhere. We can hit The Osa for 3 or 4 days and then pick out one other location for 3 or 4 days. Then rent a car for the 2nd week. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Pete & Wendy

oleg Dec 27th, 2004 07:32 AM

Pete,
Yes I used planes both times in Costa Rica. But this is just my preference. Many people drive to Osa rather than fly. IMO, $199 is a good deal ONLY if you travel to more than one round-trip destinations in C.R.