Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Murders in Playa del Carmen (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/murders-in-playa-del-carmen-595720/)

jbro Mar 2nd, 2006 10:07 AM

Murders in Playa del Carmen

I find it very interesting there are absolutely no posts on this board regarding the murders that took place at the Barcelo Maya resort last week. Two Canadian tourists were murderd in their room. The Canadian press has been covering the story daily. The story is very complicated and does not paint a very good picture of Mexican authorities. I would recommedn anyone travelling to that area look at www.ctv.ca or www.cbc.ca and read about what has happened

faithie Mar 2nd, 2006 10:40 AM

There was a post yesterday . I read it myself .

faithie Mar 2nd, 2006 10:44 AM

Scroll down . It's No.33 .

Rilands Apr 16th, 2006 06:02 PM

I just got back from Barcelo Maya Beach Resort on Saturday 4/15/2006. The place is still beautiful. When I booked my vacation I was not told about the new part of the resort. The new side is called Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach & Tropical Beach. It's integrated in to the older section. This new section is a step up from the older part. It also has a water slide park that is probably meant for ages 5-12. If your going here make sure your on the new side or you'll be dissapointed. You also get 4 formal meals instead of just 2 at the older section. Don't get me wrong, the Barcello Maya Beach(older side) is still beautiful. Oh, the murders..Not much talk about them. The empoyees that I spoke to did not want to talk about it. One employee stressed that he believed it to be a Canadian that committed the murders. They're still is a wet floor sign outside the room. I was surprised to see how close the room was to the center of the resort. This was my second time back to this resort and I'd go back again in a few years. You can't beat the price, beach, landscaping, Mexican people.

chasechow Apr 16th, 2006 06:12 PM

If this board is like tripadvisor.com, they will pull threads regarding this matter. I have been following the story through Canadian news sources. There were actually two incidents that occurred between the time frame of Dec and Feb. There was an incident in December involving a European couple. The last that I read, they had caught two of the three suspects in that incident. This incident occurred near the Tulum area.

Nancy Grace on CNN (if you can stand her) as done stories on the Playa Del Carmen incident as well. Is the only American news source that I know of that has covered it.

TC Apr 17th, 2006 01:14 PM

Is this the incident where newlyweds parents were killed while in Playa for the wedding? I thought they had determined that two Canadian women connected to the couple were involved in that murder. We heard about it in February while in Cozumel.

chasechow Apr 17th, 2006 01:37 PM

TC - That's the one. The two women were actually stay at home, socker moms who I don't even think had traffic tickets. The last info that I've seen from the canadian news sources is that they were leaning towards 3 or 4 hotel employees who haven't been seen since the incident.

TC Apr 18th, 2006 07:11 AM

I must admit, I haven't followed the story since we returned home, but the rumors last February were that two women (presumed one was an ex-girlfriend of the groom) had traveled to Playa from Canada, committed the murders and then returned to Canada. We didn't hear then that any Mexican national was involved. I couldn't find any information on the two above mentioned links to Canadian broadcast or news.

chasechow Apr 18th, 2006 08:30 AM

TC - there hasn't really been anything major going on which may be why you're having a hard time finding anything. Another site is www.thestar.com.

You can also go to www.google.ca and then click on "news".

You will have the best luck if you do a search for either Cancun or Playa Del Carmen within these sites.

The latest that I saw was that the family is hiring its own detective firm and I also saw something where an anonymous note was received telling the authorities to take a look at two canadian women who traveled there via Cuba. I know that they had some forensic evidence (hair samples) some time ago, but haven't seen where anything has come back on that yet. Hope this info helps you with your search.

sanfrantraveller May 31st, 2006 01:14 PM

Just got back and learned of the murders while in line at the airport to leave. The rumors are all over the place but, looking back, the fact that a "room service" or "maid" knocked on my door and then opened it before I could say anything or get to the door at 10pm Sunday night seems a bit scary. There was no reason for such a strange, unsolicited, late hour visit. Also, our safe was locked and unusable - could that have been planned ahead of time? However, all in all, the staff was very pleasant and helpful in all our needs. For a full service FAMILY resort, Barcelo is great. If your looking for romance and 5 star dining this is not the place for you. The Four Seasons it is not.

Little_Man May 31st, 2006 04:43 PM

interesting observations, Sanfran, thanks. I know that it would not be on my list of places to stay, no matter how much a "bargain" it is...