Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Mundane question: How to dress/pack for Buenos Aires (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/mundane-question-how-to-dress-pack-for-buenos-aires-656875/)

KathyM Nov 4th, 2006 02:11 PM

Mundane question: How to dress/pack for Buenos Aires

I went back and searched on this, but didn't find anything current. Suggestions on dress for Buenos Aires in early December? I'm thinking of capri pants & knit or cotton top for daytime sightseeing (for a woman), and a bit dressier at night depending on where we are going. Does that sound right? What about men for daytime? Are shorts acceptable? (Like chino-type shorts?) Any advice on packing would be appreciated. I can check the "Weather' websites, but they only give averages. I'm thinking warm during the day & sweater/jacket at night. Does that seem reasonable?

avrooster Nov 4th, 2006 04:58 PM

You are just about right, I would say. Maybe like for New York in June?
http://tinyurl.com/yxmq9m

Graziella5b Nov 5th, 2006 03:26 AM

I agree with avrooster, like New York in June but would add that it is better in- my opinion -to be dressed a little more on the formal side. No shorts and no tennis shoes. Jeans, kakis,capris,t shirts etc yes. and if possible avoid the caps. It is better not to be target as a tourist .

CollegeMom Nov 5th, 2006 04:39 PM

Observations from being a tourist in Sept.---there were very few adults wearing capri pants or tennis shoes in the city. The only shorts (and baseball caps) we saw were worn by a group of obviously teenage American tourists. The local teenagers and children had tennis shoes on, but rarely did I see them on adults. There were mostly pants or skirts and loafers or leather shoes for women, and men were dressed well too. Many men were in wonderful looking suits, but I assumed they were working. Men also had golf type shirts and slacks. Pack for wearing layers as the mornings and evenings were cool (maybe not so in Dec.), but the days were comfortably warm. I would think a sweater or light jacket would be enough. Enjoy the city--it is exciting!

woodie Nov 6th, 2006 08:18 AM

Hello KathyM:

Buenos Aires is a very sophisitcated town and people dress very well.

Bs. As. is also easy going as far as dress is concened. My dos peso.

We visited there for 4 weeks last Feb/Mar and stayed in an apartment in Recoleta a good district.

I never saw any men [or women] in shorts but I wore Docker slacks with short sleeve shirts and never felt out of place. My wife grew up in this fabulous city so naturally we were invited to many places by her old friends.

I found the weather to be hot so I was very glad to have short sleeved shirts and cotton slacks that breathed.

My wife and I both wore running shoes as we did a lot of walking. Often we were wearing these same runners late into the evening as dinner does not start until late and we often did not go back to our apartment to change.

Like I say, I never felt out of place but I have a pretty thick hide.

We both feel that we are no better than others, only more fortunate to live where we do so we were always respectful of everyone we dealat with. I always felt welcome.

I bought two pair of beautiful ALL leather shoes and wore them occasionally except when it rained.

The Porteno are very accepting and took us for what we are. Tourists, except when my wife would talk to clerks or cab drivers in her perfect Bs. As. accent. Then the cab drivers would not shut up.

All in all, we had a great time, felt very welcome and very safe - we stayed in safe areas at night.

I am sure you will have a great time as well.

Woodie

CiaoLeone Nov 8th, 2006 04:06 AM

Graziella, are you still in Miami ... haven't "spoken" with you in ages. Hope life is treating you well.

Graziella5b Nov 8th, 2006 05:03 AM

Hi Ciao Leone, I am still in Miami, but I believe that you might like to get in touch with my daughter also Graziella.? If so let me know and I shall tell her.

mikemo Nov 9th, 2006 07:44 AM

We were there in late October, and other than business folks, we were surprised at how (nice) casually everyone dressed.
Leave the shorts, tank tops and tennis shoes at home.
www.wunderground.com has archives for weather on any given date in many prior years.
M

cmcfong Nov 9th, 2006 08:32 AM

I just returned from BsAs yesterday. I had broken my ankle shortly before the trip and found my sneakers more comfortable on big walking days. WOW, did I ever stand out in a crowd. No grown people were wearing white sneakers. I did see lots of people in colored Pumas.
Jeans I saw everywhere, including the Hotel Alvear. I only saw shorts two places, on the golf course at Llao Llao and in the airport.
Buen viaje!

Graziella5b Nov 9th, 2006 02:26 PM

Hi cmcfong, I am very sorry that you have broken your ankle shortly before your last trip to Bs As. Best wishes to for a prompt recovery.

cmcfong Nov 9th, 2006 03:58 PM

Oh thank you, Graziella, but it didn't slow me down a bit. I had healed pretty well before I went.
the trip was WONDERFUL... I will get my trip report posted soon.
Ciao.

KathyM Nov 11th, 2006 12:07 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like I'm on the right track...casual, but tending a bit more toward "dressier" casual is the message I'm getting from the posts.

rogfam Nov 11th, 2006 01:03 PM

Going to BsAs in Feb which, needless to say, is their summer. Was planning to wear shorts, but now feel that I will be underdressed. Also painting my white sneakers a different color! Long live cultural differences!!

cmcfong Nov 11th, 2006 06:02 PM

Don't paint your sneakers. Leave them at home and buy a cool pair of Pumas.

Scarlett Nov 11th, 2006 06:49 PM

I agree! I saw a great pair in a khaki color with silver strips, worn by this beautiful young mother with 2 well dressed little children. I must say, I have never seen so many childrens clothing stores as in BA! and all the children we saw were beautifully dressed .
I wore brown or black slacks/cropped pants each day with a pair of ballet flats or open shoes .. with a blouse or a white tee with a black cardigan, that sort of thing.
No one wore shorts, not even children, on the couple of very warm days we had. Nights- light jackets or a sweater were all that were needed (and this was the past 2 weeks) so it will be warmer when you are there..
We got tanned from just walking around all day ..

rogfam Nov 11th, 2006 08:23 PM

Obviously, now my wife needs a new wardrobe! One more question, do I need a sports jacket for my visit? Off to the store for a pair of multicolored Pumas...

Scarlett Nov 11th, 2006 09:51 PM

The past 2 weeks while we were there, it was cool and breezy and a light jacket is good to have. Men dress nicely, even when not in business suits, they all seem to wear regular collared shirts and jackets even with jeans..and loafers or shoes rather than sneakers.

KathyM Nov 12th, 2006 01:15 PM

So, for my DH, I assume a black sports jacket, black pants, black shirt would come in handy if brought along.

CollegeMom Nov 15th, 2006 06:17 PM

While black is fine, it wouldn't have to be black. My DH had a black suit for the wedding we attended and a lighter tan sport coat for other times. Most times he just wore a shirt without a tie and docker type pants.