MRand, Shillmac, or any other experts

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MRand, Shillmac, or any other experts

I been looking at purchasing a GPS that has CR download on it. I ve read that you can rent a GPS called Ezpass, but i havent been able to find anymore info on it. Can anyone help me find more info on getting a GPS with CR info.
We will be there driving there for 11 days and thought it would be a good investment as we would use the GPS in the USA later.
Anyone out there with any info, please help! Thanks in advance
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Can't help--I'm a big fan of "adventure driving"!

We've always gotten along quite well without one. We've been lost a few times, but never far off and never hopelessly.

Others swear by them, so I'm sure you'd find it helpful!
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 11:26 PM

crlover10 - I assume when you say "expert" you are referring to shillmac. When we went to Costa Rica this summer, we rented a car through Avis and they offered a Garmin GPS that I thought was very easy to program and use, and incredibly accurate even on back roads.

Here's a recent link with a lot of information on GPS units:
http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2007/09/...my-dreams.html
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 06:37 AM

LOL--MRand, I think you "established" yourself quite nicely this summer! That trip report was fabulous and written in a very helpful way to newcomers--thus you have become an expert!
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM

Thanks shillmac. Coming from you, I consider that the highest of praise. Frankly, although we have traveled extensively, I was somewhat apprehensive about taking my family there. Just call it fear of the unknown. However, I found all the information from you and others on this board to be quite reassuring. My hope is that my report will be useful to encourage other families who may have similar concerns to take the CR plunge.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 08:12 PM

Thank you! Yep, I know a lot of those folks. Most of the ones I know will never "take the plunge". Oh well, better for the rest of us!
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:15 PM

Must chime in and say we are taking the plunge because of the regular Fodors posters here. We leave in just over two weeks. I felt a lot braver reading your posts and organizing the trip. Now that the reality of going with our 7 and 9 year old girls is fast approaching so are the butterflies! Look for me in the next week with lots of last minute questions (and need for reassurance).

My 7 year old told her class today that she was going to CR to feed a baby monkey a bottle. (She saw a photo from what I think was the animal sanctuary several months ago and can't get that out of her mind.) The kids even held a garage sale to raise $ to donate to the sanctuary. They are sold!

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We were on the fence about going to CR. It was never on our list of must sees.

After reading the advice and trip reports here, I was excited about going and looking forward to it. DH was still not convinced until I had him read MRand's trip report. After reading it, he said "let's go".

We leave this Monday morning.

MY
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:15 AM

shillmac, you and tully are the ones that convinced us to go too!

campjulie, what a sweet story about your daughter. I think she will really love the sanctuary. I got to hold a sloth there, and my husband had a baby howler that fell in love with him. We got lots of wonderful photos. I'm sure they will love your donation too.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM

P.S. Keep an eye on the older spider monkey - I believe her name was Sweetie - she is a major klepto. She steals people's cell phones, and swiped the glasses right off a boy's face when we were there. Not dangerous, but I wouldn't bring anything tempting with you. She grabbed the glasses and just started running. It was so funny! Of course he got his glasses back, and I think he got a kick out of it.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:58 AM

michelley--buen viaje! Have a GREAT trip!
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:09 AM

All you CR experts, can you tell us if you live in CR, or did you used to, or how many times you've traveled there? Without being too nosy, may I ask what's your story? If you care to share, of course.

Thank you.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:27 AM

lynn - not an expert but have been there 4 times and just fell in love with it. Not one particular reason but many....the warm ticos, the possibility to see so much wildlife (especially on the Osa penn.), the relatively good infrastructure, the comfortableness I feel there as a solo traveler. Also the variety of places to go - 4 trips and I've only covered a tiny bit; so much to choose from - the east coast beaches, Tortuguero area, volcanos, the NW beaches, inland to the Rincon area and Monteverde, the Central Pacific area, and of course the wonderful Osa area, and there's so much more.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Michelle Y - can't wait to hear about you impressions when you return. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Never lived in Costa Rica.

Certainly no expert but I have been there four times and always had a private tour guide so I could maximize all the places I wanted to see.

I keep in contact with my Costa Rica friends and I am sure I will go there in 2008 ,but I always wind up going someplace else.

Your quite the expert on the Middle East/Africa Forum atravelynn!!!

Percy