Reload this Page >

Most Luxurious Resort in Costa Rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 06:40 PM
Lisa

Hi! <BR><BR>We're planning a honeymoon in early November to Costa Rica.<BR><BR>We want to stay in the most luxurious and reputable resort that is there, however, we also want to have access to great eco-adventures and tours of the rainforests, and hope to see a great deal of wildlife.<BR><BR>Any of your advice is so appreciated!! Thanks!!

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 06:52 AM
craig

Do a search for "Lapa Rios" on this site. This will tell you all you need to know.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Jeannette

I would not recommend Lapa Rios as I just returned from there and would not classify it as luxurious. It was terribly hot and humid with many biting bugs and mosquitoes. They have no air conditioning so we slept poorly. The beds are doubles and too small for two hot people. I am having trouble posting my review and have contacted Fodor's to see why. Look for it in the next couple of days.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Lisa

Wow, thanks so much for your comments. This has certainly made me want to stay away from Lapa Rios. Do you know anything about Punta Islita? I saw that it is a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World, but cannot find any comments about it.<BR><BR>Thanks again!!

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 03:46 PM
carol

try melia playa conchal in guanacaste. I own a timeshare and this hotel <BR>looks amazing in the book!I have read about it on other sites too. Ratings are very good.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:45 PM
Wondering

Here's the website of Lapa Rios: <BR> <BR>http://www.laparios.com/laparios.htm <BR> <BR>They distinctly say there are 2 queen beds. <BR>They do not claim to have air conditioning; there is mention of breezes and room fans. <BR>As for Jeanette's comment: Of course it was hot and humid; it's in a rain forest, for pete's sake! <BR>In addition, it is now the GREEN SEASON meaning it's their rainiest season. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 07:49 PM
Jeannette

I have to laugh at "Wondering" telling you that the Lapa Rios website distincly says they have 2 queen beds. I guess he hasn't been there. They have 2 double beds and if they advertise them as "queens" there's not much you can do. There are many rainforests in Costa Rica. Some are at higher altitudes and some on the ocean but futher north. Any of those will be cooler and probably just as beautiful. I ran into people who saw as much or more than we did in Monteverde without the overwhelming heat and humidity. If we go back, we'll try one of those.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 03:42 AM
Eve

Monteverde is not rainforest. It is located at higher altitude and it is considered a good example of cloud forest but not rainforest.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 05:46 AM
Andy

If you want to visit the different areas and climate zones of Costa Rica this might be an option for getting around : <BR>http://www.charminghotels.net <BR> <BR>Cheers Andy

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:45 AM
lisa

Our bungalow at Lapa Rios definitely had two queen beds, not double beds.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:57 AM
Jeannette

Dear Eve, <BR> <BR>There are 40 types of rainforest in four main categories: 1)tropical evergreen lowland forest which makes up two-thirds of the rainforests; 2)inundated forest with small and stunted trees; 3) tropical moist deciduous forest and 4) montane forest that includes the cloud forest. Rainforests are classified first by non-biological factors. Many have no species in common. There's an excellent book called The Rainforests - A Celebration that was compiled by the Living Earth Foundation. The photographs are stunning but the scientific information is even more impressive and it will give you a good overview of rainforests and their ecology. I bought my book at Barnes and Noble in the Nature section. Considering the wealth of 8x10 photographs, the book is only $25.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 08:25 AM
Parrot Mom

One vote her for the Melia..it's a gorgeous resort and the junior suites are the nicest I've seen. The other is the Los Suenos Marriot Beach and Golf resort which I haven't been to. If you want to see pictures of the Melia please write..