Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Morro de Sao Paulo transportation (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/morro-de-sao-paulo-transportation-625897/)

msteacher Jun 23rd, 2006 01:01 PM

Morro de Sao Paulo transportation

We are planning on spending a few days in Morro de SP (4th beach) after our time in Salvador. I know there is a boat that goes from Salvador to the island, but I'm not sure how to arrange it. Should we make reservations in advance? Or can we just walk up and buy tickets the day of our trip? Will it be pretty easy to figure out where we'll need to go to catch the boat when we get to Salvador? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

therealrio Jun 24th, 2006 06:19 AM

Great choice, Morro de SP is fantastic. Booking tickets in advance will depend on what time of the year you plan on going. If it is high season, I say go ahead, if not, you can purchase when you arrive.

It is not difficult to get to the dock to catch the boat.

In Pelourinho (very close by) there is the famous Elevator that takes people between the upper & lower city (cidade alta e baixa). From the upper city (before you get in the elevator) look down below and you will see the famous (Mercado Modelo) building. In front of this there will be a bunch of craft stands, etc... THe building to buy your tickets for the boat is located behind the Mercado Modelo, in a blue building (Terminal Maritimo).

So, get on the elevator and go down to the lower city, cross the street, pass the Modelo Mercado and go to Terminal Maritimo (blue building). It is very easy.

There are a couple of options:
1- buy the boat direct transfer from Salvador to Morro.

2- Boat - bus - Boat to Morro. (this will take about 45 minutes longer, but less time on the water, which equals less motion sickness!)

3. Fly to Morro from the SSA (airport).

Take a look at this website, I believe it can be read in English as well.

http://www.morrodesaopaulo.com.br/main_static.html

If you have any specific q's send me an email. I was there 2 months ago!

Have a great time!

msteacher Jun 24th, 2006 06:59 AM

Thanks for your response! This is really helpful and just the kind of info I was looking for.

I'm really looking forward to the trip. Since you just got back, if you have any other tips for Salvador, Morro, Rio, or Manaus, I'd love to hear them. Thanks again!

welltraveledbrit Jun 24th, 2006 12:42 PM

Msteacher - great advice from therealrio. We visited Morro Sao Paulo two summers ago and had a great time. We bought the tickets on the day of departure.

However, it is worth noting that the trip can be VERY choppy. AT the beginning of the ride the handed out sick bags and about 1/3rd of the people on the boat used them. My husband wasn't sick but he felt awful. I have never had motion sickness and I felt dreadful too. It really was memorable!

It was so bad that we decided to fly back to Salvador but the flights were fully booked. There was no way we were getting on the boat again.

We were heading to Caocheira for the Boa Morte festival so we took a small local boat to the closest mainland point and then a series of taxis, lifts and buses to Coacheira. It was a fun adventure and very easy because everyone was so friendly.

Have a great time!

therealrio Jun 25th, 2006 12:26 PM

When we went to Morro we had no choice (due to weather) and we took the boat, bus and then boat option. It was not that bad at all. It just took a little longer.

When we returned to Salvador we took the ferry and it went direct. The motion sickness did not affect us, however there were a few people on the boat very sick. Having them throwing up into bags does not help, and the ride is not pleasant. If I go back I would either fly or take the boat/bus/boat combo.

If you take the ferry, try to get a spot at the back in the fresh air where you can keep looking at the shoreline.

If you have specific q's about the others, just ask.