Search

Mornings in Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Laura Trevino

Mornings in Mexico?

I am travelling to Isla Mujeres later this winter and, based on a friend's recommendation, am planning to stay at Posada del Mar. I found a website called Mornings in Mexico that takes bookings for Posada del Mar along with other Isla properties and made the arrangements through them.<BR><BR>The reason I am writing is because I am highly uncomfortable with Mornings in Mexico's proposed method of payment. The hotel accepts credit cards but Mornings in Mexico have asked that I deposit a check or money order for the full amount of my stay to a bank account in Texas. Once my check clears, they would then hand a check over to Posada del Mar. Then and only then, would I get my confirmation number.<BR><BR>Now, I am an experienced traveller but this is the first time I've been asked to do something like this. I am extremely uneasy about handing over what amounts to cash to an outfit I only know through the internet. At least credit card companies offer consumers some protection against possible fraud. How do I know they are who they purport to be? What if something goes wrong with the transaction? What guarantee do I have that Posada del Mar even gets paid?<BR><BR>I'm hoping someone out there has some experience with Mornings in Mexico, good or bad, and can give me some guidance. I'm ready to forget the whole thing and stay somewhere else. Thanks!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Susan

We used Mornings in Mexico when we booked a place on Isla Mujeres last year. We had absolutely no problem with them. However, I don't think we had to pay the full amount before we went down there - maybe just part of it. <BR><BR>I don't have any concerns about that company - they seem reliable and I know lots of people use them. However, if I were booking at a place that took Visa, I would want to use my card (and get the ff miles!). Is there some reason you can just book with Posada del Mar?

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Laura Trevino

Thanks for the info on your experience. I was trying to book online and never found a site for the hotel itself so I went with MIM. I have used these types of sites before (when travelling to Paris for example) and it never occured to me they wouldn't take credit cards. I have since found a phone number for the hotel and will call them directly.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 07:31 AM
gingele

Laura - <BR><BR>head over to the message board at <BR>www.isla-mujeres.net<BR><BR>There are many folks over there who use mornings in mexico and you can get a lot of first hand info on them and any other isla question you can come up with (and then some!) <BR><BR>happy travels

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 09:29 AM
Laura Trevino

Thanks for all the advice and information. I've heard back from a few folks who used and liked MIM. I'm sure MIM is a legitimate business and everything is above board but the fact remains I'm really uncomfortable with this type of transaction. <BR><BR>Paying the full amount in advance is not really a problem. I've done that when travelling in Europe countless times. Its really more a question of security. I don't even have a physical address for MIM. If the check or money order was going directly to the hotel instead of a third party or if MIM asked me to pay them by credit card, there would be no problem. <BR><BR>As it stands, the folks at MIM haven't really offered me another solution so I think we're booking through the hotel directly. Thanks again! Happy travels!