Morgan's Rock Disappointments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to go to Morgan's Rock in late March. I have read the comments on this site as well as any other site I could find. I have read that:

1. The food is redundant
2. Insects may be a problem at night on the way back to the bungalow
3. (I am not a big drinker- so I am not concerned about the drinks)
4. Some felt that MR could offer more activities while others were very happy
5. The stairs and walk to the bungalow from the common areas may be a bit tiring
6. The sound of the waves are noisy and can make sleeping difficult

Have I gotten this right? Does anyone feel otherwise- (i.e. these issues are overshadowed by all the great things MR offers)- or perhaps disappointed by something else that I have not mentioned?

I am most nervous about the "critters" at night. Should I expect to wade through scorpions and fight off large insects and such just to get back to my bungalow? Would I expect to find poisonous spiders and snakes in my bungalow or shoes (even if I keep my doors closed)? I expect to see insects since clearly MR is situated in the forest however, I would like to know to what extent.

I am looking to book my trip in the next two days, MR is the sole reason I have selected Nicaragua (although I will spend a day or two in Grenada as well).

Thank you.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Hello there --
I spent 3 nights at MR and thought it was beautiful -- very relaxing with a beautiful uncrowded and unspoiled beach.

As I recall the menu may have had some of the same items from day to day. But there are enough items on the menu for each meal that you won't have to repeat.

The lodge's published materials warn you about the possibility of insects and creatures getting into your room. And they do mention scorpions (yikes!), so it must be so. That being said, I didn't see any creatures in my room while there. There were some flying insects around the lights at night..not the biting kind.

By the time I got to MR I just wanted to relax, so I didn't do a lot of the activities. But the website is accurate in letting you know what they offer from day to day.

The bungalows are set apart from the main lodge area (reception, restaurant, pool.) You walk over a hanging bridge and uphill by several sets of stairs to get to your bungalow. I didn't see this as a problem, but others may.

Hmm...waves crashing disturbing sleep? Guess that's a personal thing. The surf crashing always lulls me to sleep...

Have a great trip. Granada and San Juan del Sur is a great combination.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

TerriGoLightly, thank you for a quick response! It was very helpful. This is my first time using a travel forum. I didn't think that I would get a response so soon- especially about a new resort in a less traveled country.

If anyone else has comments to add, I would still welcome them.

Thanks!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:46 AM

No problem..i'm happy to offer an opinion...I really enjoyed MR..the room itself is beautifully decorated, and I really liked the fact that you felt as if you were still experiencing nature while lying on your bed or reading on the sofa, hearing the surf, etc. And we loved the garden shower.

Hope you get other comments..it's good to get input from several sources.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM

I just spent 6 glorious nights at Morgan's Rock and can't wait to go back. I thought the food was excellent; 90% of it is grown, raised or fished right on the property. There were some ants, spiders, crabs and mosquitos in the room but nothing too disturbing and definitely overshadowed by the howler monkeys in the trees right outside our room. We did several activities (horseback riding, mirador hike, breakfast at the farm, day trip to Granada and environs) and they were excellent. The magic of watching sea turtles lay eggs and hatch on the beach was unforgettable.

Yes, the crashing surf kept me awake, but being able to watch the sun set over the Pacific was incredible.