Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   More Questions on Tikal (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/more-questions-on-tikal-522803/)

ktny333 Apr 20th, 2005 12:37 PM

More Questions on Tikal

Hi,

I'll be staying in San Ignacio, Cayo district for 3 days next mth. Plan to do ATM one day and Tikal the next. Which tour should I use for Tikal tour? Should I book Tikal w/ either Pacz or Mayawalk? Also, what's the weather like in Tikal? Bugs? What to wear?

writergrrl Apr 20th, 2005 02:44 PM

If you're interested in doing Tikal in a way that's more "on your own," it's pretty easy to do so. When my husband and I were there in early December, we just booked a park guide when we arrived at the visitor center. There is usually a pool of them available throughout the day. It was a great experience - our own private tour with knowledgeble guide and cheaper than the big group tours! We wore shorts, tshirts, and sport sandals (like Tevas or Chacos) - it was very warm and humid, so I wouldn't have felt comfortable with heavier clothing when climbing the temples. The bugs were not bad - some Deep Woods Off will do just fine. Definitely wear shoes with good traction and sunscreen.There is water for sale at various points, but I'd also advise bringing a large bottle of water with you.

Pausanias Apr 20th, 2005 03:52 PM

One benefit of travelling with a tour or driver is that they know the ropes at the border. We went last month, and arrived just ahead of a bus full of backpackers. Our driver told us that had we been behind them, he would simply have walked in the back door and taken care of matters.

That said, I find I get more out of a visit to an ancient site just wandering along, checking a good guidebook. Next time I think I'll do it that way, and spend the night at one of the local lodges.

Bring sunblock and, as the previous poster said, lots of water. I wore low-cut hiking/walking shoes and, as always, wool socks (Smartwool. It's counter-intuitive, but the wool keeps you cool and dry.)

Although I would enthusiastically recommend my tour, the guides were from my hotel (Chaa Creek) and I think are only available to guests.

Pumpy Apr 20th, 2005 05:40 PM

Pausanias, how was your stay at Chaa? We're headed there in June. I'd love to hear about any other day trips you took or things you did around Chaa.

Thanks,

Pausanias Apr 20th, 2005 07:00 PM

I thought the lodge was first rate. We visited Xunantunich and the Barton Creek Cave, and canoed on the Macal River. Highly recommend all these activities as well as Tikal. Probably should have done the ATM cave but, there's always next time.

Food was excellent two nights, fair one, poor one. Staff unfailingly pleasant. Best margaritas in the world (no sugar, no slush). Enjoy!

ktny333 Apr 21st, 2005 02:06 PM

Writergrrl - how did you get from San Ignacio to Tikal?

fuzzy_navel Apr 22nd, 2005 04:01 AM

We also did San Ignacio to Tikal. Our lodge had a day tour to Tikal but we wanted to spend the night so we did it on our own. Took a taxi from our lodge to the border, took care of all of the legalities at the border, grabbed a van to Tikal, got a room once we arrived, grabbed the backpack and some supplies and hit the park. As someone mentioned it was hot and humid (we were there in November). Bug Spray kept the bugs at bay. We wore shorts, T-shirts, and sport sandals as well and were very comfortable. We didn't see water for sale at all within the park so make sure you take PLENTY of it as it sounds like it could be hit or miss and you will definitely need plenty of water.

sandy_b Apr 22nd, 2005 06:36 AM

I've been to Tikal twice, once in Jan, once in July . . . it was HOT, humid, buggy both times.

And . . . I, too, have never seen water on sale inside the park so take plenty, along with sunscreen and a hat (the jungle is shady, of course, but some of the ruins are out in the sun.

Also take lots 'o film, at least 400 speed, there's lots to take photos of.

Buen viaje,
Sandy (in Denton)