Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Montezuma to Malpais to Samara (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/montezuma-to-malpais-to-samara-520572/)

dawbydo Apr 12th, 2005 08:13 AM

Montezuma to Malpais to Samara

What can you tell me about transportation from Montezuma to Malpais...and from Malpais to Samara? What times...what companies...how much...what types of transportation (ground only.)?
Thanks in advance!!!

dawbydo Apr 12th, 2005 01:26 PM

Hola??

dawbydo Apr 12th, 2005 05:19 PM

Are their any boat taxi's in between Malpais and Samara?

shillmac Apr 12th, 2005 06:06 PM

MalPais and Montezuma are about 30-40 minutes apart--easy taxi ride, I suppose, or another type of transfer--not sure. We had a car. There is a road connecting Cabuya to Malpais--a shortcut. Cabuya is near Montezuma, and it is also the loction of Cabo Blanco Reserve. Don't take it. Take the long way Montezuma-Cobano-MalPais. The shortcut is stricly one lane, up and down hills. We took it and lucked out in that we didn't meet any cars.

As far as I know, there is no boat taxi from MalPais to Samara. During the dry season, you can make it along the Pacific coast--provided you have a very stout 4 wheel drive and stop frequently for directions. At least that is what I've been told by several who have braved that route. During the rainy season--impossible. It is necessary to go back east to Paquera, then across on the ferry to Puntarenas, north on the Interamerican, then back across the Gulfo de Nicoya via the Friendship Bridge to Nicoya, continuing west to Playa Samara.

An alternative is to drive north from Paquera through Naranjo and points north without crossing back and forth over the gulf. The time difference is virtually non-existent. Both will take you about 6.5 hours. Or more. Time consuming, but worth it!

dawbydo Apr 12th, 2005 06:11 PM

Thanks shilmac...super good info as usual...would you mind taking a look at my other recent posts today to see if you can help me out with a few other questions i had?
Thanks buddy!

costaklaus Apr 12th, 2005 07:18 PM

Hello Dawbydo, there is Paradise Beach Boata Charter in Mal Pais. They a speed boat taxi along the coast to Tamarindo and also make a stop on Playa Samara.
Saludos
costaklaus - www.costaricaweb.de

dawbydo Apr 12th, 2005 08:54 PM

Costaklaus - Thank You ...do they have a web site...if not where do i go in Malpais to catch the boat?

dawbydo Apr 13th, 2005 10:05 AM

can anyone else help me with this...icant find any info online about the boat charter...

jmc223 Apr 15th, 2005 09:14 AM

i believe Tropical Tours or Montezuma Expeditions (both have outposts in Malpais) offer transportation by boat or van. Your hotel might be able to arrange it for you in advance or you could probably do it when you're in CR. We took a van from Malpais to San Jose through Tropical Tours ($35/person) and it worked out fine. We made the reservation in Malpais the day prior to our departure.

MissMalPais Jun 26th, 2005 01:27 AM

The company running a boat taxi out of Mal Pais is Paradise Reach Boat Chater Company and the owners name is Leo. A great , rather eccentric Englishman, he could'nt be more helpful.
He does trips to Jaco, Tamarindo, Samara etc. He's got a well equipped and safe rib which he runs out of the Fishermen's place near Sunset Reef hotel. If you tell him where you want to go, and how many people he'll work out a price. Its more expensive that a regular taxi, but...(a) you get to your destination much quicker and (b) its amazing just what sealife you can see along the way...whales, dolphins, manta rays, turtles...(almost like a little sea adventure thrown in for free!)
You need to book a day or two in advance in the Dry season (Dec to April).
His office and boat are abour 300 m south of Moana Lodge on the same side of the road and his cell is (00 506) 834 1375
Well worth the trip!

sean420 Jun 26th, 2005 07:19 AM

Tnis is a response to Shillmac's posting about driving times between Montezuma and Samara.

No way would it take 6.5 hours. Yes the road from Paquera to Naranjo is pretty bad but it's definately shorter than taking the ferry to Puntarenas and then back across the Friendship bridge. We make the drive from Tamarindo to Montezuma in about 4.5 hours and it was raining during the drive from Naranjo to Paquera

shillmac Jun 28th, 2005 08:29 PM

Hi Sean, I was basing my information on our drive a couple of years ago. It took us 5 hours from Tambor to Tamarindo. Montezuma is a little further. And I tend to round up about 30 minutes because it always seems to take a little bit longer by the time you make a stop or two for this or that! We stopped in Santa Cruz long enough to buy coffee at the grocery store. :) And, of course, driving times on the Nicoya Peninsula usually depend on who and what happens to be in the road here and there!