monteverde vs manuel antonio?

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monteverde vs manuel antonio?

Going to Costa Rica this month. We are debating over Monteverde or Manuel Antonio on part of our trip.
Our main interest is wildlife.
Any suggesions?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:41 PM

You'll see more wildlife at Manuel Antonio in the park.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM

The wildlife falls into different categories in the two locations. Monteverde cloud forest is much higher and cooler. The epiphyte laden canopy is home to huge numbers of birds and amphibians but you'll go a long time without seeing a monkey.

At Manuel Antonio on the other hand you better keep a tight hold on your purse or the next thing you know its contents will be raining down on your head as a troop of Capuchins empties it in the treetops searching for chiclets.

Hope this helps
http://costa-rica-guide.com/
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Between the two, I would say MA for the wildlife.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Wildlife viewing in MA is really easy; many of the hotels have monkeys trooping across the property, and MA is more accessible than Monteverde. We picked MA because we wanted to hit the beach and see the monkeys. It's funny how we were so excited to see our first one, and then by the end it was just ho-hum another monkey! MA is also good if you like the water - we went sailing and to the beach; most of the hotels on the hill will have great views of the water if that interests you.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.
What hotels would you recommend in Manuel Antonio? Especially the ones with monkeys on the property.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:31 AM

For monkeys, Costa Verde!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Tulemar.net check that place!!

Costa Verde is a budget place...terrible decor at the rooms...if you need a place just to sleep ...that will do it..

Is a little hotel by the park..La Posada!! nice people...and prices about $ 50.00 a night...the owner is a great person...good pizza too!! and next to the park about 200 meters from the beach!! and of course MONKEYS!!

I was yesterday at Monteverde...it really rain...we even encounter a mud slide...

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:42 AM

At $130 or so per night, I don't consider CV a budget hotel. It isn't luxury, but I can't imagine that those views could be any better anywhere else in the area. They are stupendous. The property is a nice one, with 3 restaurants, very good breakfast, a nice area for cocktails in the evenings, etc. Most people who stay there go on to recommend it, and you are guaranteed to have breakfast with monkeys right overhead. We've stayed in many many hotels in Costa Rica, from $16 per night to $250 per night. Costa Verde is considered a very good value. You know, you get a feel after a while for what is "in line" and what might be not in line what you are paying. Costa Verde is well within the limits of what you would expect to get for what you pay. Our only complaint was that the desk staff seemed a little cool and indifferent, not the typical warmth that you see exhibited by Ticos in most places. But we didn't deal with them much, so that wasn't a problem.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM

I saw much more wildlife in MA (monkeys, sloths), but did see toucans in Monteverde. I think Monteverde might be better for birders, but we didn't see any monkeys there. And in my experience, the rainy season (when you're going) is much more of a drag in Monteverde than it is in MA. In MA, it just rains for a while in the afternoon and then stops. I should admit that I like MA a bit better overall, though, because of the beaches and views from the hill.

As for hotels in MA, I'm a fan of Si Como No, and I think their prices are in that same range. Good luck!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:43 AM

We did Mango Moon, but it can be a little pricey. It's fairly small and surrounded by Mango trees, so the monkeys come in to eat them. They also have a small beach that you can hike to, and when we did that, the trees were literally full of capuchins all around us. Just when you think the hike is getting too hard, you get a little reward like that. Also we saw a ton of them in Manuel Antonio National Park - they don't seem very afraid of people so there you can get really close to them.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:28 AM

I've always stayed at Costa Verde in MA. Certainly wouldn't classify it as a budget place and I found nothing wrong with the decor. The views in the Studio Plus rooms are simply amazing, and they have nice grounds to walk around, a few pools, 2 restaurants, plus a 3rd up the street.

Lots of monkeys always on the grounds, plus a few of those large iguanas. A bus stop right outside will take you to the park or Quepos for about 0.30. The Studio Plus rooms have A/C and TV, the Studio Plus rooms at Costa Verde II do not. For the money/value, I consider it one of the best in MA.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I am soo excited! One more week until we go.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:19 AM

The beauty of Costa Rica is that we grow knowing that we can express our opinion with respect, and to respect others opinions!! That is COSTA RICA!!

Costa Verd is Location...location...location...that is a fact that any body can see it...if for some people $130.00 is good enough...good for them...for me is to much money for such a terrible rooms!! Not the location not the monkeys...just the rooms...some body was telling me the other day...even once you are at the parking lot...looks nice...but when you get into your room ...magic is gone...is more like MOTEL 6 in the forest! Nothing wrong with Motel 6...but if I am going to one...I will like to know that! Good for the owner...if he charge $130.00 and can get away with it... good for him!!...so I can call that place a "expensive budget " Hotel??

You see we learn somenthing new every day...some times we locals ...have the best advice...some times no!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

100% costarican and proud of it!!