Monteverde for teenagers ?

Mar 4th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Monteverde for teenagers ?

We're going to CR in June- we have 5 teenagers, agees 13-19. $ boys, one girl. (They're intrepid travelers-- we've taken the whole crew to Spain and Egypt)

The plan is 4 nights in Arenal, 3 in Monteverde, 5 in Manual Antonio area (one of those nights is the Jungle Camp at Hacienda Baru), then the last night in Alajuela.

I just read a few posts about Monteverde saying it would be boring for teens. We will have 3 nights and 2 full days there. I thought we'd do Selvatura Walk and some would do the ziplines. I'd appreciate some advice about skipping Monteverde and instead going to ??? It sounds like the drive there from Arenal and from MV back to the highway are pretty rough, so wondering if it's worth it or if we could find similar experience with less driving? But then many others have said it's the highlight of Costa Rica....I'm confused!!

Thanks!
Mar 4th, 2007, 11:03 AM

My husband and I enjoyed Monteverde. We saw quetzals, did the zipline, a night hike, and enjoyed the butterfly exhibit. We're also the parents of two teens, and though I'm sure they would have liked it okay, they would have liked it more their first trip to CR when they were younger. Arenal has a similar large zipline, and perhaps your kids don't care about quetzals (you will see lots of birds no matter what). Rincon de la Vieja could be an alternative, with activities the kids might like - hiking to waterfalls, mud baths, horseback riding, canyoning, a little mountain biking, etc. Something else our teens would have liked was rafting the Pacuare out of San Jose (I wouldn't have minded doing the overnight trip, just no time). If that sounds interesting check on conditions in June, we went in Feb. There's lots for choose from if you decide to skip Monteverde, good luck!
Mar 5th, 2007, 07:33 AM

Osa is the 'highlight' of Costa Rica.
Apart from the cloud forest Monteverde just has 'theme park' stuff like Selvatura that you can do anywhere.
Go on a day trip to Cano Negro from La Fortuna:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/cano_n...ome/index.html

Youll see more birds there- but not quetzals- than in Monteverde!

Search this Thread