Thanks to Bosque del Cabo experts

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to Bosque del Cabo experts

Thanks to everyone who replied to my many postings. Our trip was so much more enjoyable because of the wealth of knowledge shared here (wicking clothes, shoes, sansa, calling cards, on and on).We stayed a week and here are some photos--you can copy and paste the link.

Thanks Again!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...2AZs2rlszbMXHQ
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Great pictures! Thank you for posting.

Did you enjoy your trip? What do you recommend?

How was the animal sanctuary? We are thinking of going and have been wondering what it is like (and if it is worth the $100 boat ride).

Where was the local bar that you walked to?

Very Best,
Gem
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Yes we enjoyed it very much. If it's not too hot-take the beach horseback riding with Miguel-he speaks little English, but can point out many plants and animals. He showed us alligators,their tracks on the beach and an anteater up in a tree.

Animal sanctuary was good. Very informative about local wildlife. We split a ride to town and boat cost with 2 other couples, so it greatly reduced the cost. You can ask them to try to schedule you with other people to help with the cost.

The bar, Buena Esparanza can be seen on the main road to Bosque. We took a packed lunch and hiked the Golfo Dulce trail down, swam in Matapalo then hiked another 15 minutes from the "white gate" to the bar. Then we took the Golfo dulce trail-mucho hiking. But you can arrange for a drop off at the "white gate" and a pick up with the lodge-there is a charge but I don't know how much because we did not use it. They give a trail map and explain many of the services offered when you get there.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 04:39 AM

great pic's - I can't believe you got a picture of the morph butterfly - they would NEVER land for us or slow down enough to get a picture.

Which cabina did you stay in?

THANKS!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Wonderful pictures! I was just thinking yesterday that I haven't seen any pictures of the waterfalls you can walk to - so was happy to see those.

Did you have any luck fishing? My husband was thinking about trying it. We are leaving in 5 days. Am about ready to jump out of my skin, I am so excited!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 05:14 AM

Great pictures! Thanks for the trip report. I leave on Saturday and I can't wait to get there.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Us gringos had no luck, but we saw some locals doing alright. When we were at the public dock, we saw a local who had caught a 30 pounder using the hand line reel. Like fly fishing, there is some technique involved. We bought ours on ebay for 7 bucks, so we left them for the gardeners at bosque. We warned them that the reels were totally defective and it had nothing to do with us. LoL. Maybe next time we will cough up the money to go out on a boat.
LocoLowe- can't wait to see your pics-you looked like you had a nice lens. I wish we had a macro lens. Those leaf-cutter ants were so cool and our camera could not do them justice. We could have gotten better bird shots too. Some of the camera equipment we saw made our camera look like we got it out of a cracker jack box. I'm sure those people were coming home with some great stuff.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Loved your pictures!!!

I simply never get tired of seeing Bosque del Cabo pictures - Or Costa Rica pictures in general!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Cbflowers,

Those were wonderful pictures. Some great close ups. Don't feel bad about what you have for a camera! My husband just bought a new Nikon digiscope set up for our trip to Guatemala and we didn't get nearly as good pictures. Didn't have time to get used to the camera before leaving and had some problems getting the focus right. It was a good learning experience but I am glad I at least had my little point and shoot.

There have been a lot of questions about what the loft cabinas are like and we didn't have a picture of the loft area. Now people can see what it looks like!

Someone mentioned recently that they couldn't find the tidal pools. Maybe others will find them easier with your picture of what to look for.

Hope tully doesn't see that picture of the peccary...she might not leave her cabina, yikes.

They used to have some great valentine parties at that little bar when the previous owners had it.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time and to all of those whose trips are coming up- Don't wish it to be here too fast because once it is,it is almost over and you will have to start all over.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

suzie- you got that right-I keep looking at the pictures thinking "it's over already?"
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM

What camera and lens DID you use? I think you had some great photos of wildlife. We have a macro lens with old slr camera but not with our digital and I'm trying to decide whether to take the old one too.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

thanks. We have a sony cybershot with 12X optical zoom. We got it on recommendations from consumer reports. It is only a 6 mega pixel, but it had the most zoom range in its price range. I wondered if we sacrificed the zoom over more pixels (aren't they making 10 now?), but for novices, we thought we did o.k.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 10:23 AM

So where exactly was the peccary?

Nice pics!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We saw these peccaries on the titi trail. He a big guy bringing up the rear. He stopped- gave a good grunt like "you wanna piece of me?", then ran off (thankfully).
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:12 PM

Great pictures cbflowers. You got some great ones that I couldn't. Especially the Blue Morpho and the Owl (we heard them but never saw them).

We never saw a frog or snake around the pool, that was a cute frog.

Glad you had a good time.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 03:43 AM

Too funny...of all the trails at BdC I have probably been on the Titi the most and still haven't run into one of those snarly guys (I'm not complaining!)

I'm curious, has anyone ever been down the trail (forget the name) that branches off the Titi trail? It is after you pass that open field on your left with a building or two. Two years ago they were just starting it & didn't advise going down it yet; last year I thought about it but never did. Just curious!
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

I don't know what was harder to photograph-that butterfly, or the monkeys. I followed him around the garden pond for about 1/2 hour. 15 shots and 14 "darn it's" later I finally got one. Tully, I think that is the Saino (msp?) trail that branches off. It is open and is new because the description said it was on newly purchased land with mostly secondary rainforest. Even though the titi was one of the shorter ones, we seemed to see the most on it, especially early in the morning.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:12 AM

We did the Saino Trail - it is much more up and down compared to the Titi trail but it was really nice. That's the trail that we saw peccaries - 2 small ones running away (no pictures) - and only on that trail. We also saw several troops of monkeys. It's a nice trail.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM

The photos were a pleasure to view. With out trip just 10 days away, I sent the link to friends and family who are traveling with us this trip to get them all pumped up! Great pics--thanks! Looks like you guys had SO much fun! You really had some gorgeous beach photos. . .
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 08:11 PM

I believe that Saino is the spanish word for peccary. We saw a peccary on the titi trail however.

We heard owls both times we hiked the saino trail, but never saw them. You can link up to El Remanso lodge trails if you take a 100 yard or so branch off of the Saino. We didn't venture too far on this trail though since it didn't provide a view of the waterfall like we thought. The Saino is indeed up and down and reminds me a lot of the Zapatero trail.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -