Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   money change (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/money-change-915288/)

jd51 Dec 18th, 2011 05:40 PM

money change

Going to Liberia this weekend. Will I get a better rate changing $ at the airport or just using the ATM to get Colons.

xelas Dec 18th, 2011 11:14 PM

Better to use ATM, many ATM will give you both colones and US dollars.

qwovadis Dec 19th, 2011 02:26 AM

Always ATM moneychangers will clip you 30% or more.
www.coinmill.com for current exchange and do be aware
that ATM withdrawals arecash withdrawals accrue daily
interest unlike transactions so payoff quickly.I have
used the ATM at the HiltonGarden Inn there was a nice one.
Visa CC taken widely use my no foreign fee double point
CC for everything I can no interest can rack up points quickly for more travel that way.Carry back up USD in my
money belt small bills new no tears.Works great for me.

Good luck!

mlgb Dec 21st, 2011 10:23 AM

Debit card ATM withdrawals are not treated as cash advances.

Many ATMs in CR have a low withdrawal limit.

Bring some USD cash as a backup and use credit cards to pay for what you can, as long as they are not ripping you a new one on exchange rates.

Dayenu Dec 28th, 2011 02:34 PM

"ATM withdrawals are cash withdrawals accrue daily
interest" - WHAT???? SINCE WHEN????

I thought of using my ATM card, but if it will accrue interest... is this a new rule for 2012? I didn't get a letter from my bank on this!

tully Dec 28th, 2011 07:10 PM

Dayneau, don't worry, ATM debit withdrawls do not accrue daily interest. That is just incorrect information.

Dayenu Dec 28th, 2011 07:53 PM

Maybe the poster meant taking money out of ATM machine using a credit card? But who would do that?

mlgb Dec 29th, 2011 09:17 AM

I'm sure that is what he means. ATM debit cards are fine, no cash advance fees and usually lower foreign exchange rates. Most of them have the same protections on loss/theft as credit cards nowadays. One thing I do is just to keep a small amount of funds in the account linked to the ATM and be sure there is no overdraft protection, just in case the card is stolen/hacked.

cdrcos Jan 30th, 2012 07:56 AM

Use debit cards as noted. No extra fee, like credit cards. Can get US or CR money, better exchange rate. ATMs everywhere.

Isadore204 Jan 30th, 2012 10:54 AM

Are there no money exchange windows at the airports in CR? I'm not comfortable using an ATM machine outside of the US. I'll need to exchange Euros for Colons.

tully Jan 30th, 2012 11:01 AM

There are money exchange windows but you will pay a hefty price. Use an ATM or go to a bank to exchange.

suze Jan 30th, 2012 11:09 AM

<ATM withdrawals are cash withdrawals accrue daily>

WRONG!! (unless you use a credit card) A regular debit card works just like it does at home, it is not a "cash advance" rather a simple withdrawal from your account.

I'm wondering why you are not comfortable using an ATM machine outside the US. That really is the very best way to get local currency at the best rates pretty much everywhere your travel these days.

Isadore204 Jan 30th, 2012 11:56 AM

Glad to hear there are money exchange windows at the airports. The SJ airport info does not mention them at all. Only ATMs. My ATM withdrawl would be from US$, but like I said, I have Euros that I want to exchange into Colon. It's already vacation $$$$ and I want to use it on vacation. Sorry for leading everyone down the wrong $$ path.

tully Jan 30th, 2012 02:31 PM

Take the Euros to the bank, there's a Scotia Bank not 5 minutes from the airport, next to the Mas x Menos. You will get a much, much better rate.