Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Mirado El Torre Resturant San Isidro De El General CR, BEWARE!
Notices

Mirado El Torre Resturant San Isidro De El General CR, BEWARE!

Oct 23rd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Mirado El Torre Resturant San Isidro De El General CR, BEWARE!

Not sure of the correct spelling here but you'll know it when you see it. Went there tonight and ordered a rib eye steak. When I got it I noticed that it was not shaped right and no collar with the usual rib eye. I also noticed that it was butterflied, who butterflies a rib eye? Tasting it also confirmed, no rib eye. I believe what it was was a new york butterflied to make it look bigger. Unfortunate for them I know my steaks and taste.
Waiter asked the cook and the cook, says that it cooks faster if you butterfly it. Well of course it does, but then it defeates the purpose of a steak, especially a thick one, which this one was not to begin with. So what I ended up with, and refusing, was a thin, overcooked piece of beef that was again, probably a (thin)new york strip.
I refused anything else now not trusting them and had to wait for my wife to finish her salty chicken salad and went to another place for a pizza. Primevera's pizza which is great pizza by the way.
Just a word of caution
Other than that, love Costa Rica
Oct 24th, 2012, 09:57 AM

Costa Rica is not a place to go with high expectations for the food. There are many really good "foodie-class" meals available, but not everywhere and not often with beef. Chicken and fish are usually winners. Be happy, avoid cows unless stewed.
Oct 24th, 2012, 11:53 AM

Have to second Kinazote. If it ever had hooves it probably appears on the menu as filet mignon ;-)
May 30th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Actually I have had some great steaks in Costa Rica. I believe much of the good beef is from the north, north of Guancaste which is beef country. If you get a decent piece it rivals American beef, easily. I used to be a beef and dairy farmer and know my beef. You have to be careful but yes, great beef meal if you are selective and careful.

Search this Thread