mexico with children

Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:42 AM
barb

mexico with children

I just got back from Mexico july21. I was travelling with my 2 children ages 15 and 11. At the airport I was advised that I could not enter mexico without a notorized letter from my husband. I had to get my husband to fax me a letter to the airport and then had to pay $80.00 cash to the airlines notory to have an official seal. I was upset that there was no mention of this at the travel agents or on any literature I had read on Mexico. I nearly missed my flight and spent hours sorting out the details. Also had a hard time from the customs lady when I arrived and my kids are old enough to say that I was not kidnapping them. They both had there own passports as well.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:00 AM
rename topic?

Barb, Can I suggest you post again under a topic like "documentation needed for children". I almost didn't read the post because I have never traveled with kids so figured I'd have no advice for you.

But I HAVE heard of this happeneing to others (even when the 2nd parent is dead!) so it is important information to get out there. I can't believe a travel agent didn't mention it (well I can~ but only because they often seem the "last to know" stuff ;-)

So sorry for your troubles. Must have been nerve wracking, but glad you had a good trip (from your other recent posts) anyway.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:31 AM
bobbi

Barb this is true. When we travelled last fall, I needed at notorized letter for my daughter who is 16 and my sister needed a copy of her husbands death certificate. I didn;t get asked but she did and they were very sticky about it. In fact we almost didn't get on theplane as she didn't have picture id for her two kids aged 12 and 8! Sometimes you need it and some times they don't ask but it's best to be sure you are covered.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:53 PM
dubby

I would get back to the travel agents and get on their case. This is common information that is in every Mexico travel book I have seen. The agent should have known this and told you. My first trip ten years ago with kids they told me.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:23 PM
x

i agree that i would complain to your travel agent. this is common knowledge for anyone who travels frequently and it's not just mexico, it's anywhere outside of the u.s. and may i add, thank goodness for this regulation. helps curtail spitful divorced parents from stealing children.