Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Mexico with 6 yr. olds: want beach and history- Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2015, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello- we are looking to go to Mexico in Feb. 2015- we will have 2 six year old boys with us. we are interested in good beaches, wildlife and historic ruins. Cancun and Playa del Carmen seem to be popular places but I am desperate for recommendations. Can we get in good beaches and the ruins close to one location? I am not opposed to a resort but would like something with a bit more local charm but also kid friendly. Budget.... right now I'm open. Any suggestions or MUST SEE things?
All input is welcome.
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 10:31 AM

With the exception of Tulum ruins, all the major ruins are inland so no, you would have to drive to visit them or take a tour.
With a couple of small children, I would look into renting a condo rather than a hotel. You do not have to cook, but having a fridge would be handy for storing snacks for them and any leftovers along with beer, bottled water, etc.
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 11:43 AM

"Good beaches, wildlife, historic ruins" and "2 6-year old boys"

Good beaches are probably going to depend on this year's epidemic of seaweed washing ashore all along the Yucatan Caribbean coast.

Wildlife could be flamingos in Rio Lagartos, whale sharks at Holbox, manatees in the Sian Ka'an, giant turtles in Akumal....

Ruins in the a Yucatan include those right on the ocean in Tulum, Coba an hour or so away, Chichen Itza and Ek Balam from a base in charming Valladolid, and more nearer Merida.

You could base at a resort on the beach with a pool too, and take day trips, or rent a car and go from place to place (most posadas also have pools) making a circle route (Cancun airport, Valladolid, Tulum via Coba, Puerto Morelos or Playa del Carmen for the last night or so), about a week's trip. Add Merida and Uxmal and Ruta Puuc for a longer trip.
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 05:57 PM
kja

How much time do you have for this trip? It would be really helpful, IMO, to know. Or maybe I missed it...

You've gotten some great input already! I'll just add a few things:

- Consider consulting the Moon Guide. It was the best of the half dozen guidebooks I used when planning my time in the area.

- Given the problems with seaweed along the coast, you might want to give up some beach time, instead basing in Valladolid and/or Merida -- and if you are willing to give up the beach options, I think those two would make for a great experience with a time frame of a week or a bit more. If you can add a bit more time, consider renting a car in Merida just to visit the Ruta Puuc -- IME, it takes more than a day trip to see those sites properly, and your children (and adults!) might enjoy the cave at Loltun. If you do that, consider staying overnight at the Flycatcher Inn, near Uxmal, with it's own nature walk. And if you stop in / around Valladolid, make sure you plan some time for the cenotes Dzitnup -- something I would think persons of all ages would enjoy!

- If beach time is mandatory, I second the recommendation to look at Puerto Morelos.

"With the exception of Tulum ruins, all the major ruins are inland so no, you would have to drive to visit them or take a tour."

Or take local transportation -- which can be a great way to experience local culture! Just a thought....
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 06:39 AM

Lots of good options already mentioned. Renting a car will open up a lot of possibilities.an be rough
In a nutshell - Playa del Carmen - nice beach, very lively city.
Puerto Morelos - small town with nice but somewhat seaweedy beach. Still has a fishing village vibe.
Akumal - Nice calm beaches, great for snorkeling. Quiet, family friendly.
Tulum - Beautiful ruins, miles and miles of uncrowded beach. Can have rough surf.
Go to locogringo.com for tons of info.
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 06:41 AM

Typo - 'an be rough' has nothing to do with driving.
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 07:49 AM

I would split your trip between Valladolid and a beachy location south of Cancún - Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Tulúm? Having a kitchen is a great idea with kids and can pay for itself. Valladolid has great cenotes, a beautiful central park area, and is just 20 minutes away from Chichén Itzá and Ek'Balam Maya sites; head to CI 1st thing in the morning if you go there, to avoid the heat and crowds.

My photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there.
Happy trails!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 10:47 AM

Whale sharks are seasonal, usually mid-May to mid-September so would not be there in February, but six years is too young, strong swimming skills are needed and the cost from Isla Mujeres (no need to go to Holbox) is $125pp.
The sargassum has looked pretty good most of this week on the locogringo.com webcam. If that is a concern, Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres and the west side of Cozumel are not getting any of the stuff.