Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Mexico? or Jamaica? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/mexico-or-jamaica-938823/)

pgill26 Jun 12th, 2012 08:17 AM

Mexico? or Jamaica?

Hi Guys,

So, I try to get away on my birthday every year, which is the last week of september, last year I went to Cuba, this year I'm debating between Mexico (thinking of Cancun) or Jamaica (Montego bay) I have been checking out deals on redtag.ca, there are some great last minute deals but in sep its a lil expensive.
My questions:

1. any suggestions on where I should go? Cancun or Montego Bay?
2. Do you think I should do a last minute book, maybe i can find cheaper deals or should I book it in advance.
3. how much should i budget for either or. I'm looking for a 4+ sstar hotel. (when i went to cuba, i paid $850 CDN for 5 nights and it was a 5 star hotel in veradero and I absolutely loved it!)

I would love your feedback. Thanks!
Panit

suze Jun 12th, 2012 10:31 AM

Neither :-)

For Mexico if you fly into Cancun, I'd suggest going on to Playa del Carmen area (about an hour south) instead of the hotel strip in Cancun.

For Jamaica if you fly into Montego Bay, then head out to Negril (90 mins drive). There's a gorgeous 7 mile beach there. Much nicer than MoBay.

Sorry don't know prices for packaged deals.

suze Jun 13th, 2012 11:22 AM

I can't believe no one else has an opinion on this???

KVR Jun 13th, 2012 12:50 PM

OK. Here I am. :)

Is this just for you or other people coming with you?

Whay type of atmosphere are you looking for? Party, laid back and relax, etc.

Are you looking for night life, off property activities?

Do you want an AI property, plain hotel, boutique hotel, etc.?

My first thought would be a boutique hotel on or around 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen. Some are on the beach. Many others are within walking distance. Tons of restaurants, bars, entertainment and shopping on 5th Avenue. Also, many off-site activites to keep you busy if you want. Eco parks, Mayan ruins, zip line park, snorkeling, cenotes, sailing, etc.

If you are wanting to party a little bit. Go for an AI hotel in Cancun. The RIU Las Americas is in a great location.

Sit back and relax and do nothing; one of the boutique hotels on 7 Mile Beach in Negril, Jamaica. Still there are excursions to do off property like waterfalls, Appleton Rum Factory, Black River, Pelican bar, snorkeling.

I am not familiar with the US/Canadian currency exchange, and many of the regular posters on this site can't go to Cuba - legally. For a package deal including air and AI hotel for 2 people, depending on the hotel, I can get from $1,300US up in Mexico. $1,800US up in Jamaica.

Cancun gets a very bad rap from many people, which I say is unfair and not all that accurate. Depending on where you stay and what time of year you are going, that area has spent millions updating their beaches, their hotels and their reputation. You will find more families with kids than Spring Beakers and partiers, but there still are some. From some of the things I've been reading lately, looks like Cabo San Lucas is "the" Spring Break destination currently.

Montego Bay is very busy. Lots of people looking to party or people that like to stay behind the gates of huge AI complexes generally stay in that area.

If you are going alone and like to snorkel or dive and looking for laid back with tons of really great inexpensive restaurants, check out Cozumel, MX also.

zootsi Jun 14th, 2012 08:02 AM

The whole Mexican coast from Cancun to Tulum is lined with resorts and hotels of every description. I've never been to Jamaica (wife loves Mexico too much), but the beaches in this part of Mexico are amazing, other than some rocky stretches. Cancun wouldn't be my first choice, much prefer Playa del Carmen, Akumal or Tulum. We never do AIs but if I were looking for one I'd probably do the Royal in Playa. It is smack in the middle of the nicest part of Playa, adults only, and it's on a great stretch of beach. My only other comment is that September is considered the least desirable month in this part of the world due to the stifling heat, frequent rain, and chance of hurricanes.
Have you gone to the locogringo.com website - tons of useful info.

stevelyon Jul 1st, 2012 02:33 AM

Book marking