Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Mexico or Brazil? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/mexico-or-brazil-1015979/)

Ness_JulesSthAussie Jun 1st, 2014 10:43 PM

Mexico or Brazil?

Hello?
We are Aussies visiting California in September/October and wanted to include South America at the end of our trip. We've never been to South America, and were looking into either Argentina or Brazil. Considering Mexico is a lot closer to the US, we've been looking at the possibility of travelling there instead. We are after a cultural experience, food, music, beaches and nightlife more than hiking and physical activities. We haven't planned a time frame, but maybe around a week?
Would be great if you could recommend anything? We have no idea at all

cabron Jun 2nd, 2014 05:17 AM

The weather will be milder here in Mexico where it's considered winter and, from what I've heard, cheaper. Here in Puerto Vallarta we have some of the best restaurants in Mexico. :)

suze Jun 2nd, 2014 10:35 AM

I a huge fan of Mexico, Puerto Vallarta is my go-to vacation place. Most definitely offers culture, food, music, beaches, and great nightlife.

I'm sure Argentina and Brazil would be lovely too. Quite a bit further from California though.

MichelleY Jun 2nd, 2014 12:58 PM

West coast of ?Mexico that time of year would still be hot and humid. That time of year in Argentina would be spring and nice. I have never been to Brazil, but my cousin has been several times to visit her daughter. They have spent time at several seaside areas and loved it and have also been out to Fernando de Noronha island. By far their favorite trip.

suze Jun 2nd, 2014 01:00 PM

How long do you have for this part of your trip? Are we talking 3 days or 3 weeks?

Ness_JulesSthAussie Jun 2nd, 2014 04:54 PM

Thanks for your replies. Suze - we haven't set a time frame yet, maybe a week?

MichelleY Jun 2nd, 2014 05:28 PM

Mid October is the Bisbee black and Blue Marlin Fishing Tournament in Cabo. Usually warm and humid. I am from California, so any humidity is a big deal for me. But it is a fun time to hang out down there. It would be an easy trip leaving out of So. California.

Rohelio Jun 2nd, 2014 07:13 PM

Mexico is a huge country with many interesting regions to appreciate. IMO the Yucatan Peninsula is a no brainer if you have to choose but one area. The peninsula is made up of 3 distinct provinces known as Campeche, Yucatan and the most frequented and popular...Quintana Roo. The whole region is renowned for it's beauty, turquoise waters and white powdery beaches. The peninsula is peppered with dozens upon dozens of archeological sites (one of which is now one of the seven wonders of the world). The Mayan culture is still alive and thriving in many villages and cities. The geographic, cultural mix and historical factors combine to seperate the Yucatan from the rest of Mexico. It is no accident that the biggest hotel chains in the world have been and are continuing to invest in the Riviera Maya. The hugely popular city of Playa del Carmen is known as THE fastest growing city in the world. If you are seeking culture, music, food, beaches and night life, you surely owe it to yourself to visit this amazing region. The only problem is that you have but one week to do it in !
There are many internet sites dedicated to Playa del Carmen but one stands out among the rest and it is www.intheroo.com
The interactive Google earth map makes it easy to plan ahead.
Good luck
Rohelio :)

suze Jun 3rd, 2014 09:33 AM

with only 1 week to travel, I would look at flight times and costs. 7 days is short (imo) to go all the way to Brazil or Argentina from California. Mexico would give you a lot more time on the ground for a lot less money.

jamie99 Jun 3rd, 2014 09:59 AM

I agree, was just in the Yucatan last month for 9 days, very good value if using pesos (12.8 or so to 1USD right now).

Ness_JulesSthAussie Jun 5th, 2014 02:49 AM

Thanks again, I'll check out that site Rohelio. Playa del Carmen sounds like the place to go...have been looking at the hotels, what a hard decision! I think the US dollar is a lot stronger than the Aussie dollar at the moment, but I still think its around 11 Pesos, which is still great value
Thanks guys :)