Mexico -- La Paz or Ixtapa

Old Aug 25th, 1997, 07:04 PM
Michael Marks

Mexico -- La Paz or Ixtapa

Trying to decide....

Fun in sun, relaxation and activity. Romantic spots for evenings.

Like local attractions and great restaurants. Spanish spoken so no problem with language!

THANKS

Old Sep 23rd, 1997, 06:53 AM
Carrie Lee

My husband and I just returned from Ixtapa (a 20th anniversary celebration). We enjoyed every minute. We stayed at the Westin Brisas which is away from hotel row. Our favorite spot for a romantic dinner is Villa de la Selva--great food, gracious and attentive service, beautiful oceanside view. The restaurant is situated on cliff-side terraces overlooking the ocean. If you go, get reservations for sunset. The restaurant is housed in the former home of former presidente Echeverria (sp?). Very romantic. Took a day trip over to Ixtapa Island (short, cheap boat trip) for swimming and snorkeling; the island also has a palapa style restaurant, which served surprisingly good beach-side food. We inquired about day trips from the concierge in the hotel and received some good advice and recommendations. Taxis are cheap. Zihuatenejo is a short taxi ride away, with lots of shops, but we did not have a meal there. Another area of Ixtapa to find good restaurants is the Marina area, with some bay-side dining and views of the yachts. Ixtapa is more modern; most speak English. We never needed to use our Spanish skills, but they love it when you do speak Spanish. Zihuatenejo is more third-world, but I understand there are some good places there to eat as well. Have a great trip wherever you end up. I don't know about La Paz, but we loved Ixtapa. So did everyone we met who had been to several other Mexican resorts. Enjoy!

Old Sep 30th, 1997, 09:30 PM
Bob Baldwin

I've been surfing the net hoping to find some info on Ixtapa. We are planning a March 98' trip there. I appreciate your comments. We'll be staying in a RCI Condo Resort but haven't picked one yet. If you recognize any of these resorts can you give me a recommendation or some feedback? Pacifica Sands, Villas Sheraton, Continental Plaza, Double Tree Resort or Hideawy Beach Club??? The Pacifica Sands or the Double Tree sound the best so far.

Did you hear anything about Marlin fishing in the area. How is March for fishing? I also will do a scuba trip. Any info on this activity? Is there anything particularly special about the Gondola ride?

Can you give me any tips about transportation from the airport? How is it to drive a rental car in the area? I've always been reluctant to drive in most Mexican ports.

We are retiring March 1st so this trip is one our treats. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

ps. this is a temporary address which expires October 3rd. so if you can E-mail me back asap it would be most appreciated too. This is a new computer so we are shopping for a browser site and are using the free time package. Thanks again.

Old Nov 15th, 1997, 03:44 PM
Wendy and Don

We were in La Paz about a hear and a half ago and really enjoyed it. I have not been to Ixtapa but hear it is very much like Cancun (very touristy and expensive). La Paz is not very touristy but nor is it very rustic. There are some excellent snorkelling spots, boat trips and some o.k. shopping. It seems that most people who live there are fairly well off (we didn't see much poverty). If you are interested in any info on places to stay, eat, and things to do. Feel free to E-mail me at [email protected] and I will try and answer any questions you have.

Old Nov 29th, 1997, 07:30 PM
Kathy

Take Cabo San Lucas over La Paz. La Paz is a big city, more spread out. Cabo has everything within walkin distance. Some very good day trips if you want to rent a car. Haven't been to Ixtapa -YET! Plan to. If you want info on Cabo let me know.

Old Nov 29th, 1997, 07:31 PM
Kathy

Take Cabo San Lucas over La Paz. La Paz is a big city, more spread out. Cabo has everything within walking distance. Some very good day trips if you want to rent a car. Haven't been to Ixtapa -YET! Plan to. If you want info on Cabo let me know.

Old Dec 18th, 1997, 07:50 PM
Jill

Regarding Ixtapa - I wouldn't stay in this city because of the cost and commercialization of the area. However, the next town, Zihuatenejo is a fantastic place to stay with great beaches and activities like Ixtapa. There are a few places to stay here, does anyone have some recommendations?
With reference to La Paz - some distance north of this city is Loreto, has anyone stayed at the all-inclusive Eden Loreto? I have heard that it is a fantastic place to stay. Any comments?

Old Jan 17th, 1998, 07:56 AM
Bon

Jill, agree!!!!! For lodging- Look up Serigo Castro. He is well known in Z'uat and well respected. Has quaint ,comfortable lodging. He has E-mail. But, I cannot locate. Bon

Old Jan 24th, 1998, 01:13 PM
Kelli Arnolde

Planning trip to Ixtapa in June, '98. would like info regarding watersports, horseback riding, and fishing excursions. Also any info on the RCI resort Pacifica Club. Please E-mail.