Search

Mexico in January.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico in January.

I would like to visit Mexico the 2nd or 3rd week of January 2007. I have a budget of about $2,000 including flight ($500) which leaves $1500. I could use some ideas on lodging as close to the beach as possible. I am looking for some quiet R&R, not a loud partying atmosphere. Single female traveler so safety is important.
Any suggestions would be very
appreciated!

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Take a look at the Costalegre between Manzanillo and Puerto Vallarta.
www.costalegre.ca
www.tomzap.com
We stayed in Barra de Navidad last and will be at El Careyes this Christmas.
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 12:11 PM
TC

Mexico is a big country. Any stronge feeling toward one coast or the other? Your home will greatly influence your travel cost. If you live in the eastern half of the US, you may want to visit the Mayan Riviera or Cozumel. If you live in the western half of the US, you may have better luck getting to the Pacific side of Mexico cheaply. Give us a few more hints and we'll try to help.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Hey TC,
I will be flying from New England. I have been to Cozumel in the past but with a group of people. We had a great time there but I am looking for a bit of solitude this time.
thanks
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:30 AM
TC

Coming from New England, I should think you would want to stick with the Mayan side of Mexico to save on flight costs. I believe that several airlines run deals from that area or the NY area. (Have a look on Sidestep.com)
Cancun is usually the cheapest flights and from there you could look for a place on the Mayan Riviera coastline or maybe you'd prefer the solitude of Holbox. About 3 hours by bus north of Cancun and then a 20 minute ferry ride to the Isla. Its about as laid back and solitary as you can find.

http://www.mexicoboutiquehotels.com/xaloc/index.html

http://www.holboxcasalastortugas.com/index_main.htm

Locogringo is a good web site for research on the whole coast south of Cancun. You might like the Soliman Bay area. Look at small casitas.

http://www.locogringo.com/

If you decide you'd like to return to Cozumel, consider a small accommodation such as Hacienda San Miguel. Far less party atmosphere. Or you might enjoy renting a small house of which there are many.

http://www.haciendasanmiguel.com

Hope this helps in some small way.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:13 AM

If you want a quiet spot on a beach, Tulum might be an option. Lots of quiet little cabanas and small hotels along the beach. Tulum is an easy 75 minute drive from Cancun airport. Akumal would be another option - a little more built up than Tulum, but much of it is very quiet and safe.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM

Not sure of air costs but Zihuatanejo can easily been done on your budget, The Solimar Hotel offers one bedroom suites with kitchenettes, fridge stove etc. living/dining room, balconies, cable TV, A/C in a secure location. Nice pool & a most wonderful English speaking family owns it. But 5 minutes from Playa Madera & the same from El centro. Runs about $75 in high season a night with discounts for longer stays. There is a large Commercial Mexicana superstore where you can buy groceries when you wish to eat in. Good sit down cafés for as little as $3 for a full dinner. Now you can spend big bucks if you wish but is not necessary. Lots of good ones in the $6 to $15 range.
Now if you want to go real cheap The Vic-Mar Hotel offers clean very bare bones rooms in a good location for 100 Pesos ($9 US) a night. No TV but private bath & maid service.
Check them out at www. zihuatanejo.net
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Great responses - Please keep this thread alive forever!
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 02:32 PM

blythe -

Have you thought about what area you'd like to visit? I've been to Tulum, Holbox and a quiet area north of Playa Del Carmen called Xcalacocco (or Punta Bete).

You could easily find something under $100/night that's safe.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 03:46 PM

try hotel las palapas in playa del carmen. it's lovely and quiet, yet if you feel like being around more people, it's a quick walk into town.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Wow - lots of great advice. I'll check out all of them. Thanks everbody!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 03:52 AM

I've stayed in Playa Del Carmen several times by myself and enjoyed myself each time. Playa Maya, Riviera Del Sol and Luna Blue were all nice, clean and safe. PM is right on the beach, Rivera is 1/2 block off the beach and LB is 2 blocks off the beach. All are right by 5th Avenue. I take the bus from the airport $8USD into PDC and walk from there. You could also take a taxi without problem. I was surprised that the store owners who usually are trying to get you into their stores when I'm with my husband left me completely alone. The level of service at these three hotels was excellent. If you want beachfront the view from PM out your window in the morning is absolutely beautiful.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love the "Old Town" area of Puerto Vallarta. I stay about 3 blocks in from the beach at Posada de Roger for ~$50USD/night. It is clean and safe. Your flight from the east coast might cost a bit more than $500, but no way you'd spend the other $1500 for one week there on all the rest.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze. I am going to book at Posada de Roger. Do you think I will need a car to get around? I would like to visit as much of the area as possible while I'm there.
thanks
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Hurray. Good for you! I love that hotel, and hope you will too. I have always felt safe and well taken care of there. It's a very basic place but clean and well run in a great central location. Also the restaurant downstairs (Fredy's El Tucan) is excellent for breakfast and lunch.

Some of the rooms can be noisy or are a little bit nicer than others, so ask what's available at check-in and they'll likely let you see a few of the rooms that are open. You can add a small frig for 50 peso extra per day. They change money at the front desk giving the same going rate as the cambios around town. Lock boxes and luggage storage both are available no charge in a room off the reception area.

I've never rented a car myself. I don't think you'd want to have one for the entire time because parking is a hassle in downtown. But you might like to rent one for a day or two to go north and/or south along the coast. You can also get to these places by bus (south to Boca and onward to Barra de Navidad). Easier and closer to the north... Bucerias, Punta Mita, San Pancho, Ricon, Sayulita, San Blas.

For more general tips and PV advice, check the forums over on Trip Advisor. There's a very active Vallarta group there.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Since you mentioned solitude and peace and quiet, you might even enjoy staying a few nights somewhere up north. San Pancho (also called San Francisco) or Sayulita get good recommendations.

I love downtown PV but it is a busy place. Lots of hussle and bussle which I enjoy. But sounds like you might like a bit less excitement for at least a part of your vacation.