Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Mexico in August? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/mexico-in-august-763895/)

PennyP Jan 27th, 2009 07:53 AM

Mexico in August?

My DH and three teenage kids have a 7-10 day window in late July/early August during which we want to use some FF miles. We have enough points to go just about anywhere and we're thinking about Mexico (Isla Mujeres or similar). Our interests include nice white beaches, good snorkeling, easy access to ruins such as Tulum, on the low end budget-wise. Maybe $125-150/night? Is this doable? Is this advisable, heat-wise, or unbearable? Suggestions of other areas welcome, even non-Mexico areas.

Stewbear Jan 27th, 2009 07:58 AM

Well it's Hurricane season so you bet your money & take you chances. It will be Very Hot & Humid at that time also. I only go to Mountain Mexico in the Summer but many others do go to the beach & enjoy it.

jette Jan 27th, 2009 11:40 AM

I've been to PDC in August. It can be quite hot but I was more comfortable there on the beach than at home in the stiffling midwest heat MINUS the ocean breezes!

You would certainly want AC that time of year but there are plenty of accomodations that offer that for your price range.

Some activities would probably be very uncomfortable. I personally would not do Coba or CI ruins in August but Tulum is right on the coast and small enough to do in a couple hours in August.

On the other hand snorkeling and visiting cenotes is a fabulous way to spend a hot afternoon.

Don't forget, that's somewhat lower season there and rates for hotels drop a little and right now the $ to P exchange rate favors the dollar.

I think it's a fine time to go.

PennyP Jan 27th, 2009 01:30 PM

Thanks for the replies - being from the Southeast US, we are ok with some heat and humidity as long as there is a breeze and some AC to escape into from time to time. Any other input is quite welcome - any favorite places to stay with teens? Any other locations you'd recommend?

KVR Jan 29th, 2009 05:03 AM

We've been to Mexico 3 times in Aug/Sept. It is prime hurricane season and each time we had to hold our breath the see if we were still going to be able to go as a hurricane was always approaching/hitting the are right bgefore we went. Luckily, we never got caught in one, but then we had the destruction of the beaches and water, so it was best to not have gone anyway.

It will HOT. not just hot, but HOT. Walking down 5th Avenue at night with no sun for a couple of hours, we looked like we just stepped out of a sauna. Wringing wet. We are in West Texas and used to dry 100 degree temps, but add in the humidity and it is not pleasant. Most hotels do not have AC in the lobby or resturants. Just in the guests rooms. Most all of the resturants and shops on 5th Avenue also do not have AC.

We will not go back to that area during those months. We usually go about the 2nd week of November or mid May. Weather is much nicer.

For August, Aruba or Curacao is a good choice as they are out of the hurricane belt. We went in a Sept. and the weather was really great.

cabron Jan 29th, 2009 09:23 AM

Forget your hurricane fears and come to Puerto Vallarta on the west coast.

atravelynn Jan 29th, 2009 04:15 PM

Perfect timing for snorkeing with the whale sharks in Holbox. It's a couple of hours from Cancun.

Here is my report.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35091608

PennyP Jan 29th, 2009 05:25 PM

Thanks KVR - we are aware of the possibility of hurricanes and plan on trip insurance - unfortunately our dates are kind of stuck. We have looked into Aruba a bit and for our needs we're thinking Mexico might be better..
PV would be nice, cabron, unfortunately there are no reasonable FF schedules to PV available on our dates.
atravelynn, your trip report is fabulous! my kids would love the whale shark action - we may look into that, thanks.

dar Jan 29th, 2009 07:02 PM

Why not take advantage of your dollar and go to Whistler BC (the kids can mountain bike, rock climb, etc etc) and/or go to the Okanagan area (Penticton, Osoyoos) for swimming and wakeboarding?

dcsam Jan 31st, 2009 05:15 PM

Whoa! I thought I loved (and was fairly tolerant of hot weather - until we visited the Mexican coast in March/April. It was absolutely too much for this hearty soul. Can't imagine August! All I can suggest is maybe stay inland at a nice, coloniel area. And bring an umbrella (not for rain - for the sun and heat)

suze Jan 31st, 2009 05:52 PM

(re post directly above) I've got to ask where on the "Mexican coast" was too much in March/April? I know in Puerto Vallarta, for example, it's a pleasant high 70's low 80's and absolutely gorgeous that time of year!

PennyP Jan 31st, 2009 06:22 PM

Oh dear, dcsam, that sounds ominous. We can stand a pretty good amount of heat (been to Disney in July) but we were hoping that being on the water would help mitigate the worst of the heat. Not true?

KVR Jan 31st, 2009 06:27 PM

Florida/California in August is nothing compared to Caribbean Mexico in August. Plan to sweat. Bring a hat, long sleeves and I agree an umbrella especially if you visit the riuns.

dcsam Feb 1st, 2009 05:28 PM

We visited Oaxaca state (inland and coast). While inland, I would check the weather on the coast, before we headed there. I thought, Hmm... The temperatures are actually lower, so we should be okay. But the combination of humidity and heat was something I just never experienced before. I had heard the 'stories' about the heat, but I never thought I'd have a problem with it. You might be fine. We met some people who were out and about, doing lots of things, but I preferred just hanging out by the pool. We'd do our walking in the early morning.

RobertaUWW May 4th, 2009 12:01 PM

I love Mexico in August. We have been to both the Cancun area as well as Baja. It is very hot, this makes it hard to do anything besides swim and relax, a perfect summer vacation if you ask me. Having access to some AC is also very important.

Little_Man May 4th, 2009 03:42 PM

I always seem to go to Mexico in August, and though Cancun was hot, I think it's bearable with the ocean breezes. PDC was just a little hotter. I found Puerto Vallarta even hotter, and Zihuatanejo the hottest of all. I've been to Cancun/PDC 3 times in August, PV area twice, and Zihua once.
Would definitely rather go to Cancun or PDC at this time than the others.

Little_Man May 4th, 2009 03:43 PM

just to add, you must have a/c this time of year!

Cimbrone May 5th, 2009 05:23 AM

I live in southeast florida, and disagree with KVR. Yes, it's hot in the Yucatan in August. But not debilitating if you're used to it. One needs to embrace the heat! Revel in it! Go nearly naked! Swim and take cold showers! And drink cold beer!

Cimbrone May 5th, 2009 05:25 AM

And by the way, the most oppressive heat I have ever felt was Oaxaca afternoons in March. A very strange heat. Maybe dry, which I'm not used to. The mountains are actually cooler during the summer months than in the springtime.

Fra_Diavolo May 5th, 2009 06:18 AM

If you want to avoid the heat, you might consider, as mentioned above, the mountain cities north of Mexico City. We visited Queretaro and Guanajuato in August two years back. Beautiful cities well worth two or three days each. The weather was pleasant with very little rain.