Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Mexico City Travel & CoVid Testing (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/mexico-city-travel-and-covid-testing-1696499/)

Sturion Mar 23rd, 2021 09:00 AM

Mexico City Travel & CoVid Testing

All, I'm a bit confused with all of the information being generated about the 72-hours pre flight testing for CoVid. My flight departs LAX on Saturday, March 27th. I return on March 31st. I will be traveling on American Airlines from Los Angeles to Mexico City. The return is Mexico City to Phoenix and then to Los Angeles. I was informed that I will require a 72 hour preBoard Covid test. So to me, that mean on Monday, March 29th, I need to be tested and get immediate results. However, I don't know where to go or how to do that. I want to make that a priority and don't want to be stuck with a 48 hour test. Any suggestions or help? Thank you !

baldone Mar 23rd, 2021 05:13 PM

I'm a bit confused too by your calculations. The test must be done within 72 hours of your flight. So, you could have it on the 30th, or the day of your flight if you had time, of course. But you can get tests right at the airport. Antigen test costs $680 mxn and is supposed to be available in 15 minutes. PCR costs $2500 mxn with results in 24 hours. Farmacias Del Ahorro also has antigen test only for $347 mxn with results supposedly in 15 minutes too. They're pretty ubiquitous throughout the country as well as CDMX. But you'd have to register beforehand for the latter's test. I'd probably do it on Tuesday before you leave, that way if you tested positive you could re-test at another site in case of a false positive, or make other lodging or flight arrangements should you need to.
https://www.gob.mx/sct/prensa/instal...vid-19-en-aicm
https://www.fahorro.com/prueba_antigenos

baldone Mar 24th, 2021 08:01 PM

Thanks for your reply via PM. If you get the opportunity, please post how it went for you. Safe travels!

MmePerdu Mar 24th, 2021 09:28 PM

Yes, please come back & tell us how it all goes. I hope to be able to go back to Mexico, including Mexico City, before too long.

MinnBeef Mar 25th, 2021 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sturion (Post 17225326)
All, I'm a bit confused with all of the information being generated about the 72-hours pre flight testing for CoVid. My flight departs LAX on Saturday, March 27th. I return on March 31st. I will be traveling on American Airlines from Los Angeles to Mexico City. The return is Mexico City to Phoenix and then to Los Angeles. I was informed that I will require a 72 hour preBoard Covid test. So to me, that mean on Monday, March 29th, I need to be tested and get immediate results. However, I don't know where to go or how to do that. I want to make that a priority and don't want to be stuck with a 48 hour test. Any suggestions or help? Thank you !

If you are referring to your COVID test required for returning to the US, it must occur no more than 3 CALENDAR DAYS before the day of your flght to Phoenix. So e.g. if your flight to Phoenix is on a Friday, your COVID test can be no earlier than that previous Tuesday. It can be taken at any time of day on that Tuesday. I confirmed this several times over before my recent flight home from Guatemala, including the CDC website and speaking with someone at the CDC. You can take either a PCR or rapid test, although the PCR test might not get you your results in time. So take the rapid test. If I’m not mistaken, I found locations for Antigua, Guatemala that were listed on the US Embassy in Guatemala’s website. Look at the similar site for the embassy in Mexico. If you are staying in a hotel in CDMX, they may also be able to help you arrange a test.

Hope this helps.

MB

Sturion Apr 1st, 2021 12:17 PM

I'm back from Mexico City -- I arrived back in the U. S. Wednesday, March 31st in the evening. First let me state that CDMX is all out enforcing CoVid restrictions. However, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself, get a good meal, or have to remained quarantined in your hotel room. There's the usual applying of hand sanitizer upon entering any establish or store. At restaurants, there is quite the social distancing - - out doors and indoors. I was able to get a CoVid test at my hotel 2-days before departure. The hotel charged me about $25.00 for the test. They printed out the results (negative) for my showing at the airport. There are lots of pharmacies that offer same testing for less. However, I needed a printout and the hotel was quite convenient.

At the airport, the line to check-in was long due to checking of documents for CoVid testing. In addition, you'll need to complete another form that "attest" to your being CoVid negative. So, when returning, you should consider the extra long line to check in. I was at the airport 2 1/2 hours before my departure. By the time I got to my gate, I had about 40 minutes before the flight began to board. FYI - - American Airlines will begin boarding passengers earlier than others.

MmePerdu Apr 1st, 2021 02:11 PM

Thanks for reporting back, Sturion, always interesting to get a first-hand report. Glad you had a good time.

laurie_ann Feb 3rd, 2022 09:52 AM

Hi all, any newer experiences in Mexico City on this topic? We have plans for travel there next month.