Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Mexico City to Guanajuato? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/mexico-city-to-guanajuato-288199/)

PatrickSch Jan 20th, 2008 04:41 AM

Mexico City to Guanajuato?

We are leaving Mexico City on a Wed. Feb. 20 th for Guanajuato and flying out of BJX on Sat. morning.
We plan to go to Guanajuato by bus. Since we don't speak Spanish is it possible and advisable to buy the bus tickets on the internet in advance? I thought I had read it was possible.
Is it easy to do a day trip to San Miguel Allende on Thurs? this will give us Wed. afternoon and Friday in Guanajuato.
Are we rushing it-should we forget San Miguel Allende?
Our flight is at 7:00A. M. Sat. morning. How early should we leave Guanajuato for the airport. We plan to get there 2 hours ahead-is that enough or is this a slow airport? Thanks.

Dude Jan 20th, 2008 04:57 AM

Was just there recently. I think you can get your bus tickets at the station no problem, but, as far as going to SMA, it is about an hour and forty minutes on Primera plus. If you go second class via Dolores Hildago it is close to two and one half hours. Since your trip is so short, I would spend the time in Guanajuato and save SMA for next time. As far as getting to the airport (I assume you are talking about Leon- BJX. It took us thirty minutes. We too wanted to be there two hours early. That was way more than enough time, we ended up eating in the airport restuarant (the only bad food of the trip by the way) to waste time. Have fun.

marilynl Jan 20th, 2008 07:05 AM

Mexican buses are very comfortable and a great and inexpensive way to see the country. I do think that the bus stations can be a little confusing if you don't speak Spanish, but not really too hard. You cannot check a bag at the bus station until I think 30 minutes prior to departure. If your worried that tickets might not be available for a specific time, you can ask for assistance in making a reservation at your hotel.

I think a day trip to SMA might be interesting, but since your time is so short it might be better to hire a driver rather than do the bus thing again. I think Guanajuato is a magical place, but depending on your interests you might find it hard to spend two full and one half days there.

Agree it's about 30 minutes to the Leon airport from Guanajuato, and it is a small place, much easier to depart from than Mexico City. Maybe ask your hotel for advice.

PatrickSch Jan 20th, 2008 10:10 AM

Thank you both for your replies. Will the hotel hav a schedule of bis departures for Guanajuato?

marilynl Jan 20th, 2008 12:20 PM

The concierge was able to look up times and then called to reserve. I sort of remember a few years ago being able to buy the actual tickets at the hotel tour desk, but maybe I am remembering wrong. Anyhow, the concierge can help. Where are you staying in Mexico City?

Dude Jan 20th, 2008 12:21 PM

I doubt it, but they can call the bus station for you. From what observed Primera Plus seemed to be the main first class line for that area and had depatures every couple of hours. We just winged it and missed their depature which is how I learned the 2nd class bus takes a lot longer, but leaves very frequently. Anyway, as above, I expect they would be glad to call for you.

Dude Jan 20th, 2008 12:24 PM

Just remembered, as is often the case in Mexican cities there was an office to buy bus tickets in the centro of Guanajuato, maybe the same in SMA as well. Also when you make days trips I have learned the hard way to buy my return ticket in advance if you are taking a first class bus or you may be taking the long way back.

PatrickSch Jan 21st, 2008 06:13 AM

Thanks marilynl and Dude. I think we will wait and ask about the bus at the hotel. In Mexico City it is the Hotel Catedral and in Guan ajuato the Meson de los Poetas.