Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Mexico City! Nice Hotel Within Walking Distance Of Chapultepec Park

Old Feb 28th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Wondering if there are any suggestions for hotels that are an easy and safe walking distance of Chapultepec Park in Mexico City? Not crossing a main artery would be a bonus. Would love to keep it below $200 a night. I've been looking online, but it looks like there are busy streets bordering and want to try and get a hotel in the path of least resistance. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 09:34 AM

Camino Real Polanco - I have stayed there at least 7 or 8 times and really enjoy it, especially the larger rooms with private balcony which I usually request. Several corner stores nearby to stock up on food and toiletry items, as required. Should be in your price range - paid around 150$ a few months ago for the upgraded room as I recall.

Crossing Mariano Escobedo street to the park is a cinch (pedestrian crossing 1 block from hotel), and there is a pathway across the street (next to the sports place) which leads right into the park.

If you prefer high rise hotels, check the Fiesta Americana which is a few doors down towards the Paseo de la Reforma. (no balcony though)
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Fabulous! Thanks!! I'll look for their website. I'm in mexico now and am thinking that when my crew leaves doing a solo trip...in a couple weeks. I've been to the park, but not in years. Any park suggestions for a solo traveler (woman in 50's...active)for a 3 or 4 nights stay? Restaurants in walking distance...safe walking distance? I've done the Anthropological museum already. But always regretted not spending more time at the park. Thanks again!
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Turns out that the Fiesta Americana has an amazing special rate for the time period that I want. It's a business promotional rate. Are there any days that are better than any other to be at the park? I usually try and fly home on a Sunday (no traffic), but have heard that Sunday is a great day to be at the park.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 11:04 AM

Park suggestions:
- I LOVE the Rufino Tamayo museum, be advised it is contemporary art which is not to everyone's taste I realize, but they often have fabulous artist shows,
- Modern Art museum, name says it all
- botanical gardens, very different for me (from northern climes) due to cacti, exotic plants, etc - more time at the Museum of Anthropology (can you tell I am a museum person!?!?)
- catching the voladores doing a performance as they swing down a very high pole with a flute player sitting on top (free, but expect to give a propina)
- Castillo de Chapultepec perched atop a ridge, interesting visit (history) and fabulous views down the Paseo de la Reforma
- Sunday afternoon (yes, sunday!) people watching and performers, pedal boats on artificial lake, .etc. Very lively and entertaining!

Restaurants

Upscale - Beef Bar (in the Camino Real), fabulous high end food in stunning decor, not inexpensive
Nearby, I would head over (walk) to calle Presidente Masarik where you will find all sorts of cafés, boutiques, restaurants at all levels of price, safe to walk there, done it numerous times by myself, just use common street smarts (and watch for red light runaway drivers - do not worry, not as bad as it sounds).

Further afield (use hotel or sitio taxis), head over to Condessa for art deco barrio, incredible tacos al pastor at Tizoncito (best I ever had!), all kinds of restaurants, such as Maja (spanish -from Spain- cuisine) etc.

This expat from NYC who lives in MC has this website with TONS of good suggestions http://www.goodfoodmexicocity.com/#/offtopic/. Successfully followed several of his recommendations.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 02:41 PM

It's an old standby, but I always return: http://www.fondaelrefugio.com/index.asp
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!! I am a museum person too! I'll be flying in and out of MC midweek. I forget how much time it might take to get to the hotel from the airport. I guess I'll check it out. Intrajet, Aeromexico and a couple other airlines service my route. I think I have a lot of nonstop options. Thanks again for all the help!
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 04:33 PM

We always like the Casa Gonzales B&B in the quiet embassy district of Cuauhtemoc. It's about a mile or so walk to Chapultepec up La Reforma from there and just a few blocks from the Zona Rosa and metro stop there. $60 - $80/night double occupancy. http://www.hotelcasagonzalez.com/rooms
Old Mar 1st, 2014, 05:26 PM

Visited the The Red Treehouse two years ago and am returning in June. It's one of my Top 10 Favorite Hotels: http://theredtreehouse.com

- Only $95 per night, single
- Friendly house dog
- Great location in Condesa, close to Chapultepec
- Wonderfully decorated
- Safe
- Very helpful staff
- Spontaneous serving of wine to the guests (great for mingling)
- Beautiful courtyard
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 11:58 AM

If you don't want to cross a main artery I'm sure you can find hotels along Reforma, near metro Sevilla or in the Zona Rosa. There are so many in Polanco but it would mean crossing Reforma and that is quite busy... but you'd be really close by and there are crossings.

Someone suggested the Camino Real hotel. It's a good choice. I reviewed it here

http://www.mexicocityvibes.com/camin...l-mexico-city/
Old Nov 9th, 2016, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Hi Fodorites! We never ended up doing this trip. We are contemplating it again in February as a flight layover from one city in Mexico to another. Having been to Chapultepec Park only once to see the Museum of Anthropology, we vowed to someday come back and spend at least another day or two. Our flight gets in on a Monday and Museums are closed, but we can walk around the park. So, we'd have all day Tuesday. Is that enough time to take in a Museum or two or would we regret not spending an extra day and night? We don't want to venture further out thean the park area. I posted another thread yesterday forgetting that I had started this a couple years ago.

Also, We are really wanting to be an easy walk into the park, so again we are thinking of the Grand Fiesta Americana and the Camino Real Polanca. The Fiesta Americana is a lot more expensive. Is the proximity to the park the same? If I had two museums to pick...what are your suggestions? Thanks in advance for more updated opinions.