Mexico City in May

Mar 24th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Cam
Original Poster

Mexico City in May

My husband and I plan to travel to Mexico City during the first week in May. We have read that the rainy season begins at about that time but don't have a clear picture of just how rainy it is. Can you give us any details about how much rain to expect?

We are planning to stay at the Camino Real. Is it within walking distance (no more than 20-25 minutes) of the Zocalo and the historic center or would you suggest taking a taxi there?
Mar 25th, 2004, 06:45 AM

The Camino Real is nowhere near the Zocolo. You will have to take a bus or taxi. Expect about a half-hour ride, maybe longer if there is a lot of traffic.
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:52 AM

We were there in the last part of May. It rained every afternoon about 4 or 5 pm. It would get really humid for a few minutes, then the skies would open up and dump for about 15 or 20 minutes. Afterwards the air was clean and life went back to normal!

We had been warned, so always tried to be inside or have our umbrellas ready at that time of day.

One afternoon, we got caught without umbrellas as we were walking through a residential neighborhood, so we had to camp on a front porch for a little while.

Other than that, the weather was hot, but not terribly so, and the famous pollution gone. Many Mexican friends said this is the best time of year to visit.

I can't remember where the Camino Real is located. We split our time between the Four Seasons hotel and the Hotel de Cortez.
Mar 25th, 2004, 01:32 PM

In early May the chance of a little rain in the afternoon is about 50/50. And May is the warmest month of the year, almost hot in mid-afternoon, but very pleasant in the mornings and evenings - a great time to visit, as pointed out by the previous poster.

Definitely take a cab to the Zocalo area. After you've done that a few times you may want to walk, I'd estimate it would take close to an hour at a brisk pace. Stick to the major streets and it would be safe in the daytime, but I wouldn't try it after dark.

The Camino Real is in the Polanco area, so you'll have easy access to lots of great restaurants. And two of the most high end restaurants in the city are located in the hotel - China Grill and Le Cirque - both are delicious, expensive and very busy. And you should check out the Moon Bar to see how upper class Mexico City young people relax.
Mar 25th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Yes, Mexico City is a fabulous city to visit, even with all the negative remarks it gets. Do take Taxis everywhere you go and make sure it is a Taxi from a hotel, do not get into one just off the street, it can be dangerous. If you can afford it, definitely stay at the Four Seasons, the service is the best I have experienced around the world. The hotel is beautiful. I usually like to go there in winter since I do not tolerate the humidity. Have fun and make sure you visit Teotihucan and the Museum of Anthropoloty, it is the best.