Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Mexico City Hotels - Historico Central or Gran Hotel?

Old Mar 5th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again. We have decided to stay for 2 nights in Zocalo and will then move to an apartment in Roma/Condesa and spend a few days there. I cannot choose between the two hotels mentioned above. Both have the right price, reviews, and availability. Anybody have an opinion on this topic? Thank you!
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 06:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know the Historic, but I imagine it'd be tough to beat the Gran Hotel for its location & grandeur and the La Terraza view of the Zócalo, especially at night.
I think (hope?) you'll be pleased you've decided on a couple nights in centro.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 06:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just back from three nights at the Gran Hotel, a very pleasant stay. Helpful staff (forced to wear bowler hats, for some reason), free water (and apples) on every landing, a fridge in the room. Decent if expensive restaurant. There's a buffet on Saturday night, which we didn't attend. Buffet breakfast on the main floor. There is a little cafe a few doors down, open to the street with an Italian(!) flag which does a nice hot breakfast for a lot less money, also a VIP across the street. Another contender is the Hotel Majestic, which had no vacancies when I tried for reservations, but where I have stayed on previous visits. Both hotels appear to have been refurbished. Both have Zocalo views and terrace restaurants/bars.

One caveat -- follow the instructions carefully on the room safe, or you may require some assistance getting it open again (Quickly and graciously seen to. I guess it happens a lot).
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 08:13 PM

We love the Gran Hotel - try to get a room with a view of the zocalo. The Tiffany ceiling and the elevators in the main entry area are amazingly beautiful.
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 03:14 PM

We had drinks at the rooftop bar at the Gran Hotel. Great views and good drinks, We had a taco dish to accompany the drinks which was ok, but we ate dinner elsewhere.
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Is the Zocalo view (from the room) worth an extra $50/night? Internal views and 16th of September views are also available.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 11:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'm personally of the mind that if I'm going somewhere I've never been before and may not get back to (at least soon), then I'll upgrade to get something special. Which I think the zocalo view would be. But keep in mind that sept 16 is Independence day. Maybe you're already aware. So, the zocalo will be active & noisy. Don't know how that affects your decision.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 01:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Some of the Gran Hotel rooms, though designated "Zocalo view" have in fact a very limited view. From mine, for example (305), you could see only the street at the west (? Opposite the cathedral) end of the Zocalo. It may be that rooms to the left of it (looking from the inside) had better views.