mexico city. hotel location questions....

Old Aug 18th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mexico city. hotel location questions....

we need to be near the historical center (near "plaza de la republica". going to bid on priceline for a hotel. can anyone tell me how close in minutes (walk or taxi)the sheraton, marriott, and presidente intercontinental are?
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 08:19 PM

The Majestic a Bestwestern but very Mexican Colonial Hotel over looks the Zocalo. At around $70 US a great buy. Be sure & ask for a outside room. Older but well maintained with decent amenities including room safe. We stay no where else.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 04:52 AM

I agree about the majestic too.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 05:59 AM
emd

It's a litle confusing when you say you want to be near the historical center, which you say is near the plaza de la republica. People have different interpretations of what the "historical center" means. I will try to answer the questions you asked, although as far as the hotels you list, I only know about the Sheraton.

See this map, it shows what I mean:

http://www.planetware.com/map/mexico...ex-mx298_e.htm

I stayed at the Sheraton Centro Historico a few wks ago. Very nice hotel, and it has a great and highly regarded restaurant (not owned by Sheraton) in the lobby, El Cardinal. It is on Avenida Juarez, which you can see on the map, at the end of Alameda park that is closest to Plaza de la Republica.

The zolcalo is a pretty far walk from Plaza de la Republica, and I do not walk that at night, esp. the section close to the zocalo. There is a big police presence on Avenida Juarez at night, but not so much as you get past the Palacio de Belles Artes (at the end of Alameda park going toward the zocalo) and towards the zolcalo.

SHeraton is much closer on foot to where you indicate you want to be than the zolcalo area is.

That said, a taxi ride between the zocalo and Plaza de la Rep. is maybe 10 min, unless there is heavy traffic (which there can be in this area; there's lots of lights and some of the side streets are torn up in the area).

FYI, on Sundays, Avenida Juarez is closed to cars for much of the day, as the new mayor has made it a pedestrian walkway and bike/skating area on Sundays. This backs up car traffic btwn the zolcalo and Plaza de la Rep. area.

Old Aug 19th, 2007, 06:05 AM
emd

One tip re taxis: If you stay at the Sheraton and they call you a taxi, that taxi can be more than twice as much as a taxi you hail off the street yourself. The fare to the airport for a taxi called by Sheraton is 240 pesos. I hailed a taxi on the street next to Sheraton, and my taxi was 100 pesos to the airport. Some people will only use the hotel taxis due to safety concerns. I speak some Spanish and I felt fine in the taxis I got myself.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for your fast responses. i am aware of the majestic(which is a possibility for us). it is at the eastern end of the historical center, a good mile and a half from the "plaza de la republica" where my wife will be giving lectures for a week. this means that we would need to take a taxi or metro. there is another best western, "de cortes' much closer (walking distance). is anyone familiar with this hotel? the reason for my original post, is that i was going to do a priceline bid for 4stars. now i know that the sheraton is close (thanks to emd). the other 2 4 stars are in polanco(marriott and presidente). i need to find out if "polanco" is an easy metro ride to where my wife is speaking.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 12:25 PM
emd

Polanco subway stop is not on the same line as the Revolucion subway stop. Polanco is on the orange line (linea 7) and Revolucion (nearest stop to the the Plaza de la Republica) is on the Blue line (linea 2). To get from Polanco to Revolucion stop by subway you'd have to go from Polanco two stops north to Tacuba stop, then switch to linea 2 and go 5 stops to Revolucion stop.. By taxi, it does not appear far from Polanco to Plaza de la Republica, but i have not done that cab ride.

If you wanted to take subawy from the Sheraton Centro Historico to Plaza de la Republica, you'd walk from Sheraton down the side of Alameda, get on the blue linea 2 at Hidalgo and go one stop to Revolucion stop on same line.

Old Aug 19th, 2007, 12:27 PM
emd

On the maps I have, the distance btwn Polanco and Revolucion subway stops is no further than the distance btwn. Revolucion stop and the Zocalo. But I have no experience in how that plays out on the roads...
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 12:30 PM
emd

BTW, for reference, to go from the Sheraton to the zolcalo area by cab (which I've done for dinner) was about $5.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Not stayed at the Cortes but have heard good things. Also their floor show is very popular
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

thank you, both! emd, a big thank you! great info, very helpful.........
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 04:53 AM
emd

bodhijack, please post back and tell me what hotel and the amt. you get on priceline. I will be doing Priceline in Nov. for Mexico City and would really appreciate knowing.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 01:50 PM

We stayed at the Cortes a few years ago and were very disappointed--very basic room, sink falling off wall in bath, low water pressure, poor lighting, etc. Overall effect, what I'd compare to maybe a 2-star in France.

I also don't like the Majestic as well as many people seem to--no outlets in bath area, very cold in winter months, uncomfortable beds--though the rooftop restaurant is pleasant. There is a Holiday Inn around the corner from the Majestic that we found to be much more comfortable than the Majestic.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM

"
I also don't like the Majestic as well as many people seem to--no outlets in bath area, very cold in winter months, uncomfortable beds--though the rooftop restaurant is pleasant. There is a Holiday Inn around the corner from the Majestic that we found to be much more comfortable than the Majestic."

I found none of these things to be true in my several WINTER visits to the Majestic. I mean MG The Holiday INN? Why not stay in the US? Perhaps you have stock in the company?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 03:22 PM
emd

I have stayed at the Sheraton Centro Historico in Mexico City, and I don't have stock in Starwood. Mexico City can be VERY LOUD, and I like a very quiet high-rise as I am a very light sleeper who can't wear ear plugs. So what. When I am in other smaller Mexican towns, I can usually find a quiet, smaller, more traditional Mexican hotel. But in Mexico City, I don't take the chance. So what
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Look, stewbear, we are all just giving our opinions here. Maybe you have stock in the Majestic??? The Majestic is a Best Western, and maybe the Holiday Inn is also locally owned in Mexico City, I don't know. All I know is that one cold February, at the Majestic, there was NO outlet I could locate to use my hairdryer--so sue me if that's important to me!! Also, there was no heat source that I could find, and the room was DAMN COLD.

This is why people stop posting on these kinds of forums: jerks like you who throw insults when someone reports their own experiences and opinions!!!!
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 06:27 PM

Well you enjoy your little bit of the US. I'll be out enjoying Mexico.
I found you comments misleading at the least & call me what ever but I can not let such misinformation go unchallenged.. The beds are excellent, the security is very good, never had a Banos with out plug ins & one of the few hotels I have found anywhere with a room service fridge that was affordable. An Excellent staff, cafe & lounge. The Public areas are magnificent. Add the incredible view from the small balcony that we watched the New Years 2000 fêtes from for the perfect location.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM

I would hardly call a hotel "my little bit of the US" just because it happens to be a Holiday Inn. Have you ever even been in the property? It is in a more updated building than the Majestic, with in my opinion more comfortable rooms. It also has a rooftop restaurant, and the rate is about the same, and it is literally around the corner from the Majestic.

I never said anything at all about the security at the Majestic, I found the bed I had to be uncomfortable, and both my room and the one my friend had DID NOT HAVE PLUGS IN THE BATHROOM OR ANYWHERE ELSE WE COULD FIND--apparently it was different in your room. I'm glad you like the Majestic--all I wanted to say was that I didn't, and I gave my reasons, which were based on my experience. Yes, I like the restaurant, too, which I believe I said. So why do you have to insult me? I've been traveling to Mexico for over 30 years now, and I think I have information to offer that some might find helpful, which is the point of this forum.

Unlike you, I don't always stay in the same hotel when I am in Mexico City, so maybe I can offer information about other properties. At various times, I have stayed at: the Majestic, the Cortes, the Maria Christina, the San Angel, the Geneva, the Maria Isabella Sheraton, the JW Marriott, and yes, the Holiday Inn, all of which have different things to offer the visitor.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM
emd

Oh please. Just because someone sleeps at a western hotel chain doesn't mean they aren't out enjoying "the real" Mexico. You don't have the market on enjoying Mexico because you stay in a certain hotel while in the D.F. regardless of what hotel it is.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:45 AM

I think the Maria Christina is very close to the pl de la Republica. Easy walking distance.

Polanco is definitely not close or convenient. Or even interesting, IMHO.

Have a great time!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -