Search

Mexico City Airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico City Airport

I'm planing to travel to Mexico City and then on to Play del Carmen, flying into Cancun. My origination point is Pittsburgh which means a connecting flight on the way to MC, most likely Houston. When I do multi-city searches for flights (PIT/MEX/CUN), the built in layovers are way too short and I fear I would miss my connecting flight. I'm considering doing two separate flight segments - PIT/MEX roundtrip and MEX/CUN roundtrip. As a U.S. citizen, when I arrive in MC from Cancun, do I have to go through Customs & Immigration? R remember that I'm doing two separate flight segments so I would have to claim my baggage first. Also, is 3 hours enough time for a layover in Mexico City? Thanks
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 02:33 PM

Yes, 3 hours is long enough. You will arrive at Terminal 2 in Cancun which is the domestic terminal and will not require you to go through customs/immigration. That will happen in Mexico city.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 08:20 AM

Not sure what Colokid is referring to as there really is no outbound (MC to USA) customs. Your checked luggage will be searched at check-in & your Tourist visa card will be taken when you go through security. That's it in Mexico. Of Course you will do US Customs, Immigration at your first US airport.
PS I just did this through Toluca last month having done the same dozens of times through MEX.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 12:00 PM

Sorry about that. I meant that you'll go through customs/immigration at your first stop into Mexico from the U.S. which if you're doing U.S. - Mexico City - Cancun you'd be checked in Mexico City but not in Cancun. In Cancun you'll be arriving into terminal 2 and then just walking off the plane and out of the terminal. On the reverse side you go through customs and immigration upon entering the U.S. So, yes, what Stewbear said and what I meant but didn't get through. : )
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Ok, so when I fly into Mexico City fron Cancun and before I get on my flight home to the U.S., I won't have to go through Customs/Immigration as a non Mexican resident? I've experienced this in some European airports and I just want to be sure I have enough time built in. Thanks for your responses.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 02:25 PM

Nope! All you will do is have your checked luggage search at The Check-in Counter where you will get your boarding pass. You will give up your Tourist visa as you board your plane where you also will have your carry on searched along with a light body search.
Please note flights to the US do not allow any liquid even those bought after security. The only exception is duty free purchases which will be delivered to your plane.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 02:38 PM

Also note that the terminal in Cancun to depart from to Mexico City and then to the US is termminal 2 and not terminal 3. Terminal 2 is the domestic terminal. I had the longest wait ever to check in at terminal 2 Aeromexico last time. Took over an hour. Usually, I fly Frontier in terminal 3 and it's 15-20 min.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 06:39 PM

i'm connecting thru MEX on my way back from Costa Rica and we only have 85 minutes, I'm kinda stressed about it.

When I connected thru MEX on way to/from Buenos Aires it took less than 30 minutes to deplane and get through immigration so I'm hoping for the best.