Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Mexico City Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/mexico-city-airport-180149/)

hope Jan 20th, 2003 06:19 AM

Mexico City Airport

Due to poor scheduling (don't ask!), we have a 5 hour mid-day layover at the Mexico City Airport to change planes. Any comments or suggestions about this aiport with this amount of time to spend?

Marilyn Jan 20th, 2003 09:58 AM

Some of that time will be taken up with transferring from your arrival area to your departure area, especially if you are coming in on an international flight and departing on a domestic flight. Every time I've been there the airport has been crowded, bustling, fairly chaotic. Takes a few minutes to get your bearings and move through the crowds.<BR><BR>There are lots of schlocky little shops selling tacky souvenirs -- fun to look in if you're just arriving in Mexico. A decent bookstore as I recall. Have a coffee and people-watch, or bring a good book. You won't have enough time to get into the city and do something. Maybe someone knows of an interesting attraction close to the airport?

Jean Valjean Jan 20th, 2003 11:46 AM

Unless it is a saturday afternoon or a sunday, you don't have enough time to go out of the airport, look around, and go back. Just getting out of the airport takes time (getting through customs, immigration, and collecting your luggage).<BR><BR>Since you are arriving at mid-day, you can get out of your flight, check in for the next one, and go across the street to the Marriott hotel.<BR><BR>There are a couple of good restaurants (like La Mansion, great steaks), and you can easily linger for a two hour meal.<BR><BR>After that, go back to the airport to the international check-in area; you'll find a few shops where you can &quot;waste&quot; a few more minutes.<BR><BR>If your next flight is a national flight, go to the 100% natural, in the waiting area after security and have one of the best fruit juices and smoothies anywhere.

D Jan 20th, 2003 03:04 PM

Last couple of times through because of new security I have wasted two hours just changing from one flight to the other. I agree with the above there is not enought time to go anywhere. You could go over to the hotel if you wanted or just check your stuff and look at the shops. The time usually passes pretty fast.

hope Jan 20th, 2003 05:02 PM

Thanks for your replies. This is our return trip, from Cancun, then mexico City airport for 5 hrs, then JFK, so no Customs needed at that change. <BR>Gracias!<BR>

D Jan 21st, 2003 04:58 AM

Even if you don't have cutoms, if the security is like it was in July it will waste a lot of time. As you line up to check in for your next flight they have been searching everyone's carry on and it takes quite a long time. Likewsie going from the national terminal to the international terminal will waste time as you go in and out of security. Best thing is to get your bags checked and boarding passes for the next flight then you can wander around, do duty free etc.

Robert Jan 21st, 2003 05:35 AM

I might add that the international terminal has an atrium area which has many nice shops and several really good restaurants where you could easily spend a couple of hours on a meal, etc.<BR>I don't think you will have any difficulty spending the 5 hours.

MOLLYD Feb 9th, 2003 05:06 PM

I just did this very thing the week between Xmas and New years. We even did it with 8 people. We were en-route to PV and had a 5 hr layover. It is very do-able and a great way to see the city. We even did it on the way home as well. We were approached in the lobby by a van driver and we negotiated $30/hr for 3 hrs. He was part of a fleet so we felt secure. We went to the main square and cathedral and walked around, ate street food, shopped with street vendors and saw what looked like the changing of the guard. He also gave us a mini tour of other sights along the way....however NOT GREAT ENGLISH so the teenagers had to do their best to interpret. On our return on a Saturday the traffic was better and we went to the hand craft market and street fair. Also went along a major park and where the Embassy row is. We really enjoyed it as did our teenagers. The first time the cab driver brought someone with us and he acted like security for us....following us and negotiating with vendors. Very helpful and we felt safe anyway. Questions pls feel free to email me. Mexico City is not somewhere I have the inclination or time to go and spend time at but while I was there I wanted to take advantage of it and was glad we did. Worth it and time was not a problem in the height of holiday tourist traffic. Go for it!<BR>