help sending email from US to Mexican email address

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2014, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from a week in Playa del Carmen. I'll be posting a brief trip report shortly. We'd like to stay in touch by email with a young man who drove us around several times. He gave us his hotmail account address but emails I send from my gmail account won't go through. I tried adding a ".mx" to his address and resent it but it still wont' go through. Does anyone here have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Gail
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 10:18 AM

The most likely explanation is that either you wrote down something incorrect or he gave you something incorrect. Some miscommunication probably took place there.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Actually, he wrote it down for me and it's a pretty basic address. I googled the topic and found one reference to having ".mx" and will continue to search for suggestions, but thought someone on this particular forum may have had a similar experience.
Thanks for your input, in any case.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 12:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Either .mx is or isn't part of the actual email address. It's not something you'd just tack on because the person is in Mexico.

Some email addresses have it, some don't, is what I'm trying to say.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 03:30 PM

Yes. I've had many similar experiences in exchanging e-mail addresses with people. It is almost always the case that the E-mail address is incorrect.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Update: the first time I tried to email him, I sent it without the "mx" and it was returned, so I tried adding it. Gmail tried a bunch of times and finally gave up using the mx address.
However, we received an email from the young man on Friday night (his address did NOT have the mx) and I clicked on "reply" and sent him another message. It appears to have gone through, or at least wasn't returned. One of my theories about the failure of the earlier messages to be accepted relates to my address not being in his address book, which may have been overcome by his sending an email to my address. I haven't received a response yet, but I think he doesn't have his own computer and has to go somewhere to download his emails. We'll see...........
thanks for all the ideas.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 08:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<One of my theories about the failure of the earlier messages to be accepted relates to my address not being in his address book>

Nope, doesn't work like that.

Was the address you received the email from *exactly* the same as the one you were trying to use before?
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

yes
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

We have just received two more messages from him. So I think we're all set.
Suze, I'll just add that the reason I thought getting an email from him would open the dam is because of some type of spam-filter on his Hotmail account. At my workplace, we occasionally have communication issues with other offices that have very aggressive spam filters and the only way to get messages through is to add our address to the recipient's address book, which I think may be indirectly accomplished when they send us an email first.
In any event, I appreciate the suggestions from all and think we've got the communications mastered.
Thanks,
Gail
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 03:30 PM

It's the World Wide Web. Should not be a problem if you have it correct. Country means nothing.