Search

Mexican "Cuzco" ??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 1999, 06:03 PM
Webjefita

Mexican "Cuzco" ??

This is a really wierd question but this is the only place I can ask it, with so many experts!! <BR> <BR>Last year I went with my fiance to Peru. We stayed with his family in Lima, then spent 3 days in Cuzco . Although I got sick the first day, I loved everything else about Cuzco: <BR> <BR>1) Our hotel was more like a B&B, 3 stars, great personal attention, and we had a suite for only $40 a night <BR>2) I like being forced to speak Spanish <BR>3) The shopping was incredible, I love buying artesanias and the prices were unbelievable (low)!! <BR>4) Beautiful scenery, small town but so much to do and see... <BR> <BR>What would be a comparable place in Mexico? <BR>I really want to shop and get to know Mexican culture, we're not into clubbing. Also, it is going to be for our honeymoon so we would also appreciate any extra luxury like private suites. Beaches would be a bonus but not a pre-requisite. The ruins might be interesting but we're not planning big day trips, we just want to take in the local culture. <BR> <BR>I was thinking Puerto Vallarta but some say it is too commercialized and "resort" like. What do you all think? <BR> <BR>Webjefita

Old Dec 8th, 1999, 06:32 PM
dave

san miguel de allende is an artisan's town. an incredible town to say the least! there you'll find "real" mexican art... by that i mean stuff you cant find in the markets of acapulco, pv, cancun, etc. <BR> <BR>i've lived and driven through most of mexico over a 8 mth period and have found that the resorts have nothing much to offer culturally (esp. cancun!!!). <BR> <BR>if you're up for something that you'll truly remember... palenque! located in chiapas in the jungle, you'll never encounter anything like this anywhere in the world. palenque is the site of ancient pyramids that will truly amaze. be forewarned... it is _extremely_ humid there and as far as i remember, no hotels offered air conditioning. <BR> <BR>anyways, i'm going back to mexico (df) in a few weeks for new years. email me if you want more info on the non-commercial places. <BR> <BR>btw, i live in san francisco... where commercialization (ex. starbucks, chain restaurants, etc.) is a dirty word! <BR> <BR>dave

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 05:56 AM
Al

Get out your geography book and find Morelia, a most interesting colonial town. West from there, you head to Lake Patzcuaro, the town of Patzcuaro, and the island of Janitzio. Deep in the state of Michoacan, the territory is the homeland of the Tarascan indian people. It has an interesting history. Spanish friars converted the people, taught each village a different trade (guitar-making, copper work, etc.) which exist to this day. The land is quite mountainous, with dense forests, corn patches, friendly locals. The central plaza in front of the cathedral in Morelia will remind you of the same scene in Cuzco, only at a much lower altitude. We found Michoacan to be much, much, much more rewarding than the so-called resort communities that grow like scabs along the coast, filled with phoney glitz and overpriced hotels.

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 07:54 PM
Allan

I've been to San Miguel and to Patzcuaro. Both are wonderful, with San Miguel, being much more "cosmopolitan". Don't forget Guanajuato (about 1 1/2 hours from SMA); the most Spanish "feeling" place, I've ever been in Mexico. A truly unique city! <BR>And one more place; one of the best places in Mexico: Oaxaca!!!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:20 AM
michele

I have also been to Cuzco, and loved it. I was looking for a place to retire to. I ended up in San Miguel de Allende. I think its the closest you can come to it. If you think SMA is too commercial there is a town outside of it called Pozos. <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 01:06 PM
Sandy

I've been to Cuzco too (and loved it) and I recommend Oaxaca in Mexico, it's every bit as good, if not better. <BR> <BR>A friend and I just returned last week from 18 days in Mex (with one week of it in Oaxaca). Oaxaca is a wonderful and friendly town with a small-town feel. It has the liveliest zocolo I've ever seen, there is something going on there all the time . . . marimbas, mariachis, misc bands, street entertainers, vendors, kids playing, people visiting, EVERYTHING! <BR> <BR>And, there are the Mitla and Monte Alban ruins, MA is right up there with Macchu Pichu. We were very impressed. Oaxaca is surrounded by little villages which host markets on different days of the week. We could visit those in the mornings and return to Oaxaca in the early afternoons and see the happenings there. <BR> <BR>After a week in Oaxaca, we made the mistake (yes, big mistake) of going to San Miquel de Allende and Guanajuato. They were both "Cancun without the beach." If you like spending your time around retired, affluent Americans all dressed up like they are going to a garden party, expensive shopping, and everyone speaking English then you will like SM and G. We wanted a different kind of experience. <BR> <BR>We probably would have like San Miquel and Guanajuato more if we had gone there first, but we were utterly spoiled by Oaxaca. If you go, you will see what I mean . . . enchanting. <BR> <BR>We left Guaja early and went instead to Zacatecas . . . another beautiful colonial town and no other Americans. <BR> <BR>Sandy

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 01:54 PM
marilyn

I also think you would find Oaxaca to be exactly what you are looking for. Oaxaca has the best zocalo I've ever seen: music and happenings all the time, cars banned, and absolutely wonderful crafts and shopping. You can go out to the various market days at many of the surrounding towns, which tend to specialize. I especially liked Ocotlan, and the pottery of the Aguilera sisters, especially Josefina. Oaxaca is a big indigenous center, and over half the people do not have Spanish as their first language. The climate is wonderful, the people charming--like other parts of Mexico used to be 25 years ago. <BR> <BR>I don't know whether you want to "splurge" for your honeymoon, but if so, the Camino Real, in a converted 16th century convent, is very romantic. We stayed in a small B&B around the corner called Las Bugambilias, which was intimate and warm.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 11:59 AM
ter

I have been traveling professionaly in Mexico and South America for the past sixteen years. As I read your "wierd" question (which, by the way, isn't), the only location Mexico that I found myself hoping you would visit was Oaxaca, so I was very pleased to read the replies you received from Marilyn and Sandy. They both hit it on the head. <BR> <BR>One thing they didn't mention is that while you are in the city of Oaxaca, you are fairly close to some of the most beautiful and unspoiled beaches yet in existence. It is a drive, but worth it, to spend a couple days in Huatulco or thereabouts. <BR> <BR>My reccommendation for "Best Hotel" in the city is the Hotel Victoria. It is superb, and not expensive.