Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Merida in August (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/merida-in-august-292173/)

sparklegem Feb 24th, 2003 07:27 PM

Merida in August

Is Merida doable in August? How bad will the heat and humidity really be?<BR><BR>Thank you!!

BuzzyJ Feb 25th, 2003 06:35 AM

I would love to know where you will be staying and what you will be doing in Merida? We took a day trip there recently from Cancun, and it was most disappointing.

Richard1148 Feb 25th, 2003 11:51 AM

We were in Merida a few years ago in September. It felt exceptionally humid, and we're from Florida! Have to agree with Buzzy - there's not much to do there except go to the ruins of Uxmal and Chichiniza (spelling looks wrong), which are closer to get to from Merida than from Cancun.

Jean_Valjean Feb 25th, 2003 11:57 AM

Maybe a day trip is not the best way to see Merida.<BR><BR>The weather will indeed be hot and humid but, IMHO, not unbearable. Downtown Merida is quite nice, and has a couple of interesting markets where you may find good prices on handcrafts. Paseo Montejo is a good street for a stroll.<BR><BR>The best part of going to Merida is the food! Yucatan has a very characteristic cuisine, different from any kind of Mexican food that you know. It is lighter in texture (no thick moles) but spicier (as in more spices, not hotter) than most Mexican dishes.

sparklegem Feb 25th, 2003 04:39 PM

I have been wondering if we should rethink the time of our visit. We could go in May, if the weather would be better. Any thoughts?

rquirk Feb 26th, 2003 04:14 AM

Merida is pretty hot from June through to August. That's why those Mayans dug cenotes. Wear loose fitting white linen clothes and sleep in a hammock.<BR><BR>I enjoyed Merida ( except for some caged dogs in some malodorous part of town )and Valladolid and certainly agree with trying the Yucatan cuisine. Pork Choc - YUMMY. If you're really brave the best I tasted was from a street cart in Valladolid. Try the dark beer too 'Leona Negra' as I recall.<BR><BR>Also be aware that Merida is THE place bar none to buy a hammock esp. a cotton 'Una Familia'. You'll pay much higher prices for inferior hammocks in more touristy places.<BR><BR>My only other bit of advice is to join the bus that departs downtown at 8:30AM ( when I was there ) and do the whole Ruta Puc. See how the Mayan proloteriat lived as well as their big showpiece Uxmal.

RobertSDF Feb 26th, 2003 05:36 AM

I would agree with the people who say Merida is an interesting city and well worth a visit. A really interesting city with much to do and see--with excellent cultural events and dining.<BR>Of course, if the priority is an Americanized beach resort, I can understand Cancun being of more interest.<BR>By all means, include Merida.

Lexma90 Feb 26th, 2003 12:20 PM

I'm considering a visit to Merida, and love the helpful posts. Is September noticeably cooler?<BR><BR>Does Merida feel like a large city? I'm looking for a place that has a variety of restaurant choices &amp; things to see (not really into the shopping thing), and reasonably close to the Mayan sites (Chichen Itza and Uxmel), but isn't so huge that big-city noise is bothersome.<BR><BR>And you've answered my question about food - I'm looking for a place with great food. A quick visit to Cancun several years ago whetted my appetite for some real Yucatan cuisine. (I'm not a beach person, so Merida seems just right for me.)<BR><BR>Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm also consider overnight stays at the Mayan sites, to be able to view them early in the morning/late in the afternoon, and be able to spend mid-day lounging. Any pros and cons on this idea (other than the hassle of packing up more often)?

rquirk Feb 27th, 2003 03:49 AM

Merida isn't a large city in the sense that it is full of skyscrapers witha municipal transport system or metro. It is akin to a large ( flattish ) crowded town. <BR><BR>For authentic Yucatan cuisine I would avoid top-end restaurants as these would be more likely to be international cuisine. Choose a type of restaurant which is more like a cafeteria. <BR><BR>I would think September would be cooler than August. Personally, I would always stay in a nearby town and take the local bus early to the sites ( tour busses tend to arrive late morning ). You get to see the towns move to a Yucatan rhythm rather than some sterile, tourist let's make our hotel look like a pyramid / hunting lodge type of thing. I wouldn't have traded the festival ( fireworks, music, fancy dress )in Valladolid for a night in a Chitchen-Itza site hotel at any price !

sparklegem Feb 27th, 2003 11:48 AM

Would it be nice to be in Merida on Easter?

RobertSDF Mar 1st, 2003 05:39 AM

Easter would probably be a very nice time to visit Merida. I am certain many things will be planned around the holidays. Be advised that this is one of the busiest travel times for Mexican families to travel so you might want to make early reservations.<BR><BR>Robert

sparklegem Mar 1st, 2003 09:33 AM

Thank you for all the wonderful posts! I changed things around and we will going the end of April (right after Easter).<BR>Best Regards,<BR>Gem