Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Memorable meal - MA, SJ (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/memorable-meal-ma-sj-503521/)

blackmons Feb 13th, 2005 12:08 PM

Memorable meal - MA, SJ

I always like to end a vacation on an "up" note. Where would you recommend we go for our last night in Manuel Antonio for dinner. We are a family of five. It doesn't necessarily have to be expensive, but something with atmosphere, a view -- something special.
Our actual last night will be in San Jose. We are only staying there because we'll be leaving very early in the morning for rafting on the Pacuare. We're staying at the Don Carlos Hotel. Would you recommend we have dinner at the hotel, or is there somewhere else in SJ that you would recommend. Again, not necessarily pricey, but something different or special.
Thanks,
Laurie

NDrake Feb 13th, 2005 02:11 PM

I asked the same question. So we'll see what others post. I heard the restaurant in Grano De Oro in San Jose is good. I've heard that MiLugar (Ronny's) is good in Manuel Antonio, from another post on this site. Also in San Jose, Bakea is eclectic and good according to the Fodor's main site restaurant listings, but I'm not sure that is a good place to take young kids. We'll be there soon, looking forward to the vacation!

faithie Feb 13th, 2005 02:16 PM

The restaurant at Grano de Oro is super , as is the hotel . We always loved Karolas in M.A. , as well as Barba Roja ( although it is now under new ownership so I have no update ... ) There is The Vela Bar , El Gato Negro , El Gran Escape in Quepos , Plinios , etc. etc.

Ears Feb 13th, 2005 04:33 PM

Laurie, I'll say it again - Ronny's Mi Lugar has a spectacular view, good food, reasonable prices, and tremendous atmosphere. You won't be disappointed! Also agree with Faithie regarding Grano de Oro. We stayed (and ate) there our first night in CR and liked it so much we made sure we spent out last night there, too.

-Jeff

allison04 Feb 14th, 2005 06:40 AM

I stayed at Si Como No in MA and loved their Claro Que Sea restaurant--excellent seafood! (It's a separate restaurant from their less special Rico Tico Grill.) I thought Karola's was pretty good, but not as good as I expected after everyone else's rave reviews.

faithie Feb 14th, 2005 07:07 AM

All of our meals at Anaconda Restaurant were GREAT !!! And it usually is not rated highly , but we were impressed .

azannie Feb 14th, 2005 11:34 AM

I agree with EARS. Ronny's in MA is great! The view, atmosphere, and food. Everyone that works there is very nice including Ronny, the owner. We actually went there twice during our visit. The road to the rest. is quite rough but well worth the 3-5 minute drive.
We also went to La Parador for the sunset views but definitely preferred Ronny's. Ronny's is much more informal and has a wonderful Tico feeling to it!

NDrake Mar 27th, 2005 06:02 AM

We loved Ronnie's fish with mustard sauce. Great service, nice setting. Ronnie himself came by our table.

The short dirt road to his restaurant is an adventure in a Diahatsu rented mini SUV, fun!

RBCal Mar 27th, 2005 02:36 PM

I thought Ronnie Lugar's was good but not outstanding. However, maybe it was the huge grasshopper (about a foot long) that landed on my head and cut my ear with its sharp claws that ruined the meal for me.
The best meal I had in MA was at Karola's. It was expensive but worth it I thought.

mfenimore Mar 28th, 2005 09:38 AM

I really liked Ronny's Mi Lugar-my husband had a 2 lb delicious lobster for less than $20, and I had fish with mustard sauce. Ronny is very nice.
I also loved, Sunspot-more expensive but very good and romantic

Iza Mar 28th, 2005 10:56 AM

We loved Karola's. Expensive but one of our best meals in Costa Rica. We had mahi mahi that was really fresh and delicious.

NDrake Apr 3rd, 2005 11:45 AM

We ate at Karola's and Ronnie's. Karola's had great deserts. Loved the atmosphere at both. I wish I was back there now sipping on a margarita.

glover Apr 3rd, 2005 12:23 PM

We always end with the Tin Jo in San Jose. Pretty place, nice atmosphere. Every imaginable kind of "Asian" food - Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Indian, etc. etc. All amazingly done well!

SJacobs509 Apr 3rd, 2005 06:45 PM

Spent two nights at MA staying at Si Como No. Ate both nights at Karola's and loved it..fish was very fresh, service great, drinks and surroundings great also.

Price: about $30 pp incl drinks

arbegold Apr 3rd, 2005 07:10 PM

We've lived all over the world, including 5 years in France. I'd include Karola's with the best of them. You won't be disappointed.

flagal2 Aug 31st, 2005 11:10 AM

Can anyone tell what kind of menu Ronny's Place has? Is there anything in addition to sea food?
Thanks.

CDNJ Sep 1st, 2005 07:41 AM

Just came back on Sunday from MA. Karola's was defintely our favorite, just the attitude there was great. Also liked the Marlin, very casual down at the beach, but great lobster.

Stay away from El Gran Escape, huge tourist trap, our most expensive lunch in MA and it sent me runnning for the Imodium,

msr3017 Sep 1st, 2005 09:25 AM

We just got back from CR (and the Don Carlos).

Tin Jo is ten blocks from the Don Carlos - a $1 cab ride. We went there twice. It features an incredibly broad Asian memo and (surprisingly, to us) some of the best Asian food we have had anywhere. The steamed sea bass was out of this world, as was the grilled fish in banana leaf.

There also is a very nice place two blocks from the Don Carlos called Bakea. Upscale dining - a lovely, romantic place. But the food at Tin Jo was better.