Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Melia Playa Conchal (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/melia-playa-conchal-237252/)

Tom Jul 6th, 2002 07:09 PM

Melia Playa Conchal

I am staying at Melia Playa Conchal in two weeks for a week. Any suggestions on adventure side trips (scuba, canopy, whitewater rafting, etc.) in the area?

Peter C. Jul 11th, 2002 10:47 AM

Tom, While this is not a direct response to your question, I can tell you something you should be aware of. Melia Playa Conchal is very luxorious and has a beautiful beach--I'm sure you'll love it--but there have been several postings on this board over the past couple of years reporting the resort's practice of overbooking. People have shown up with confirmed reservations, only to be dumped at a nearby fleabag hotel. In the cases reported, management offered no compensation,let alone a refund. If I were you I'd call MPC (or have your travel agent call) and make damn sure that a room will be waiting for you.

Larry Jul 11th, 2002 11:12 AM

Tom, <BR>This is the green or off season so I wouldn't worry about your room. Every side trip you mentioned is avail. in the area, not to mention the golf course at your hotel and another just a few miles south, fish out of Flamingo just north of you, not a lot of whitewater near you but plenty else to do. Enjoy.

Parrot Mom Jul 11th, 2002 02:48 PM

What beach??? The beach is practically non-existant..They have a fabulous pool, the resort is gorgeous (I have pictures if you'd like to see).. there are side trips that can be bought under the stairs of the main building. Would go back in a heart beat... Oh yes.. watch out for the crocks and those rambunctious monkeys near the pool!!

Iza Jul 11th, 2002 04:28 PM

Parrot Mom, I have to disagree regarding the beach. It is a very pretty beach, not big, but one of the nices in Costa Rica. It has a rather steep drop off but on a nice sunny calm day the sand is soo white and the water emerald green. Perfect for playing in the water. Plus it is almost deserted. It is one of my favorite beaches in CR.

Parrot Mom Jul 11th, 2002 05:21 PM

You maybe right, but when we were there El Nino had hit and the surf and undertow were pretty dangerous. Tamarindo was the place to go surfing, but hey, I'm an old lady.. what do I know.. My favorite memory is going to the Golden Shrimp down the road and having lunch or supper on the sands...

Michael Jul 11th, 2002 09:39 PM

Hi Tom:<BR>You will find every tour available at the hotel reception. Fishing in Tamarindo or Flamingo, Palo Verdi river tour, great tour to see wild life and just a short drive from your resort. Canopy tours, Arenal Volcano, hot springs or Rincon Volcano with horseback riding. Sailing, scuba diving, snorkeling or sunset tours. Some great restaurants in Tamarindo along with even more tour options there. You are staying at one of the nicest resorts in the whole country. I'd suggest a trip into Tamarindo before you book all your tours ( thru the hotel) as there are various combinations available at green season prices. You will have a great time! <BR>

maria Jul 13th, 2002 03:51 PM

I am staying at the Melia PC next month for 3 nights. We have an extra 2 nights on the coast that we haven't decided where to go yet. We have a total of 8 days. First night SJ, then 5 nights on the coast, then back to SJ. Does anybody have any suggestions. We'd like to see different things yet not waste too much time in transport.<BR>Thank you.