Search

Melia Playa Chonchal

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 1999, 04:23 PM
sheila

Melia Playa Chonchal

Need info on hotel, beach(is it safe for swimming).How expensive is the food at hotel.How expensive is the golf.Is it worth it or go somewhere else?

Old May 21st, 1999, 01:41 PM
Parrot Mom

Stayed at Playa Conchal in C.R. lastFebruary (1998)--huge resort..very safe. .. PLease e-mail for more info.... Gorgeous resort and golf course...Food plan highly recommended..

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 12:53 PM
Cheryl

We stayed there in early January. It is truly one of the most beautifully designed resorts I have seen. <BR> <BR>However the restaurants are basically what I can get here in Toronto. If I wanted to eat Italian, American or other international cuisines I wouldn't go to Costa Rica to do it. Plus we found the meals in the resort pretty pricey. <BR> <BR>So we ate most of our lunches and dinners in a little village just down the beach from the resort, about a 10 minute stroll. The village is called Brasilito (not sure if it's spelled correctly). Absolutely wonderful local food, very fresh, very tasty and very cheap. A huge meal for two at Hotel Brasilito or at the Dorado cost about US$20 and that would include the beer. <BR>Even eating "local" we never heard of anyone getting tummy upsets or the like. <BR> <BR>The food at Melia Playa Conchal is typical resort food, catering to those who really don't want to have it much different from what they can get at restaurants back home. <BR> <BR>Now we did have our breakfasts at the hotel where there was a huge buffet, with some Costa Rican food, but that's because I didn't fancy a walk to Brasilito first thing in the morning. But I found it really not worth the money, I'm just too lazy in the morning to go far for breakfast. <BR> <BR>In Brasilito the Dorada is a wonderful restaurant, right on the beach, and I mean right on the beach. At night the tables are set with white tablecloths and candles and they have twinkly white christmas lights hung in the trees overhead. It's one of my favourite memories of Costa Rica. <BR> <BR>They say it's safe to walk down to Brasilito in the evening but we always took a taxi back since it was quite dark once the sun set and it only cost about $1 each. There's a guy with a van (can't remember his name) and you can arrange to have him pick you up at a certain time from whatever restaurant you go to. You'll find him at the back gate into Melia by the beach front. Don't order taxi's from the front desk of the hotel. <BR> <BR>We arranged for him to take us one day to some local villages to buy pottery and to just see the sites. So for $40 we had an airconditioned van and driver for about 5 hours. He was great, I'll try and remember his name for you and let you know. <BR> <BR>As for swimming in the sea, I didn't do it because I'm not much of a swimmer but I did see loads of people doing it and it seemed quite safe. <BR> <BR>I would definitely recommend staying at the Melia Playa Conchal just for the experience, but get the best of both worlds by eating at the different restaurants in Brasilito. In other words don't take the meal plan. <BR> <BR>If you want to contact me directly for any other hints, please do so. <BR> <BR>Cheryl <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 05:10 PM
Parrot Mom

Sorry, I mistyped our address--please write and I will give you our photo album site with pictures of the Melia Playa Conchal

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 05:10 PM
Parrot Mom

Sorry, I mistyped our address--please write and I will give you our photo album site with pictures of the Melia Playa Conchal