Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Mayan Ruins Holiday - With a 2 year old.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering a holiday to the Mayan Ruins. We are not really big on beaches as I am terrified of hurricanes Our main reason for the trip is to see Ruins, but we also have a toddler who will be 2 1/2 when we travel. Any ideas on a central location to stay, best time to travel, or any information that would be helpful. We will be flying from Atlanta.

Best Regards.
Drodgers...
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:56 AM

You didn't say which country or area you were interested in visiting which would narrow down your answers a bit. The summers are very hot and humid with mosquitos and other biting bugs in MX if that's your destination. We've done several of the ruins on the Yucatan with more on tap in a few weeks. Not to discourage you but the attention span and heat related distress on a toddler may be too much for wandering about a site for a few hours. But, then again, if your toddler is used to this kind of travel you could have a great time. If the time of year is not a concern than I would definitely try this in the fall/winter months rather than in the heat of the summer.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:58 AM
Pausanias

Second what colokid wrote. There is also the issue of climbing the pyramids, which everyone seems to want to do. They are usually very steep and not only difficult, but quite scary to climb. A toddler could not get up as the steps are high. An adult would tire trying to carry a child, which would be too dangerous anyway.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:15 AM

I agree with the other posters as well.

We took our kids to Tulum several years ago in March. They were about 6 & 8 at the time. They were miserable because of the heat, and our visit was very rushed. Also, as metioned the steps going up these paramids are very steep and there are no railings to hold on to. If you do decide on such a vacation, always carry lots of water and sunscreen.

You only have to worry about hurricanes during the season, June-Nov, but mostly Aug/Sep. If you travel during the winter months, there is no need to worry.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:53 AM

Are you thinking Mexico? If so I would recommend staying in Akumal, which is a beautiful, laid back beach community with a child safe sheltered beach. There are two ruins sites within an hour's drive - Tulum, which is very scenic and on a cliff overlooking the brilliant blue Carribean, and Coba, which is a large complex, still parially covered in jungle. Coba does have a large pyramd you can climb - but i wouldn't do it with a 2 yeaer old! We visited these places in January and the weather was perfect - mid 80's and breezy. You don't need to worry about hurricanes unless you go late August - early November. Go to locogringo.com for lots of info.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:57 AM

We have visited the ruins in the Yucatan in the month of August - I can tell you that it is very, very hot and humid...and there's no way to get around that. We also have a (now) 3 yr old, but have taken him at 3 mo, 1 yr and 2 yrs old.

When he was 1 yr old, we had him in a backpack carrier which my husband carried and he went up the pyramid at Chichen Itza that way.

There is no way I'd let a 2 yr old climb the pyramid - and at 2 yrs old, he was kinda heavy for the backpack. My husband carried him up the pyramid at Ek Balam in the backpack and it was very exhusting. His shirt was soaked with sweat - we rolled it up in the window to dry out on the way to Chichen. We had a MacLaren stroller to manuever Chichen Itza again - it was difficult with the bumpy trails.

There are smaller ruins you can visit with a 2 yr old - Muyil, Tulum, Xel-Ha and Ek Balam. A good central location is Tulum or Akumal.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:30 AM

The jungle lodge in Tikal might be a good option. There is a nice pool and there is easy access to the temples. If your little one gets tired one adult can walk back to the hotel while the other continues.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:30 PM

I still believe you are not able to climb Chichen Itza. Still closed to the climbing since January. Plus, one other thing to add to my post, you know how little ones try to pick everything up and put it in their mouths. There are many, many different bugs along the paths that may not be so great for a toddling toddler. With Coba I'd be afraid of the bikes on the pathways if the little one was walking...different if being carried or in a stroller.
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:41 AM

IF you are terrified of hurricanes, why do not you go when is not the huricane season?

Then you can enjoy the beach and the pyramids.